UMich MSW Program Fall 2019 Admissions

ML878

Hi,

This is my first post! I haven’t seen a thread yet for UMich so wanted to start one so we can share admission decisions, financial aid packages, general questions about the school, etc.

Just to go first—I applied Dec 1st (priority deadline) and recently found out I was admitted! Hoping to hear from others in my cohort!

Thanks!! I submitted on Dec 1st too! And I applied to the 16 month interpersonal practice method (with a health specialization). I applied to several of the health related scholarship programs so I’m really hoping one of them pans out! I was super surprised to hear back so soon—in the email, they said official notifications would be sent out in 2-3 weeks, so I think I just heard back abnormally early. Hopefully you’ll hear back on decisions soon as well!! 

10 hours ago, ML878 said:

Thanks!! I submitted on Dec 1st too! And I applied to the 16 month interpersonal practice method (with a health specialization). I applied to several of the health related scholarship programs so I’m really hoping one of them pans out! I was super surprised to hear back so soon—in the email, they said official notifications would be sent out in 2-3 weeks, so I think I just heard back abnormally early. Hopefully you’ll hear back on decisions soon as well!! 

Nice! I also applied to the same program. Hopefully I will hear back soon- the wait is excruciating, haha.

13 hours ago, jkd271 said:

Nice! I also applied to the same program. Hopefully I will hear back soon- the wait is excruciating, haha.

Crossing my fingers for you!!!! In the meantime, wishing you a happy holiday and New Year!!

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Emily15 said:

Wow, congrats on already getting in, you must be a top candidate ! I also applied on Dec 1 and am anxiously waiting 

Glad to see others applied to UMich too! :) I figured this thread would be more active, but I guess it’s still very early haha. And thanks so much!! Sending good vibes your way too—the waiting game is always tough!

Congrats @ML878 !! That is so exciting! I also got an email a few weeks ago and was accepted, the 16 month interpersonal practice in health! I applied to the Integrated Health Scholarship Program but haven’t heard anything about that so far. Has your Wolverine Access been updated yet? 

50 minutes ago, cj1234 said:

Congrats @ML878 !! That is so exciting! I also got an email a few weeks ago and was accepted, the 16 month interpersonal practice in health! I applied to the Integrated Health Scholarship Program but haven’t heard anything about that so far. Has your Wolverine Access been updated yet? 

Congrats to you as well!! That’s awesome, that’s the same track I applied to! And I’m waiting on that same scholarship notification as well. I checked my Access a few days ago and no updates yet. I also email the office asking when fin aid package would be sent out, but they said they couldn’t give me a timeline unfortunately. So I guess we’ll just have to wait and see...!

Hello!! I applied mid October I think, interviewed early January, and just found out I was wait listed :/ I applied for the interpersonal practice with mental health. They mentioned in the interview that people always get accepted from the waitlist so I'm holding out hope. They also said to volunteer and update my application by emailing them with new experience I have. I'm planning on doing some volunteering with domestic/sexual abuse centers/crisis lines soon, and maybe a camp for kids with disabilities this summer. 

Fingers crossed, good luck everyone! For anyone else that interviewed, how did it go? Honestly don't know why they chose to interview me lol

On 1/16/2019 at 1:17 PM, sophiez said:

Hello!! I applied mid October I think, interviewed early January, and just found out I was wait listed :/ I applied for the interpersonal practice with mental health. They mentioned in the interview that people always get accepted from the waitlist so I'm holding out hope. They also said to volunteer and update my application by emailing them with new experience I have. I'm planning on doing some volunteering with domestic/sexual abuse centers/crisis lines soon, and maybe a camp for kids with disabilities this summer. 

Fingers crossed, good luck everyone! For anyone else that interviewed, how did it go? Honestly don't know why they chose to interview me lol

I also interviewed in early January and I have yet to hear back. A waitlist is way better than a rejection! I hope everything goes well with your volunteer work. I've volunteered with a crisis line and it was great experience for the future. 

I'm not sure how my interview went. I was very nervous about my interview and it showed. They didn't tell me ways to strengthen my application or to send updates. I'm a non-traditional student with a lower GPA and I know that is why I was interviewed. I had a career change, and classes I took post-bacc reflected that. I'm honestly shocked I got the opportunity to interview! I thought I was going to be rejected right away. 

For those who have been waitlisted, my advice is to move on with another school while you wait. I was on the list last year and was ultimately dismissed the first week of classes due to lack of space. The cohort this year was large, so I wonder if their yield is increasing. I applied again this year after I met with them when I was dismissed. I am coming as a career change, older student. I was shocked to be waitlisted because my academic and human service record are strong, and at my interview (which I requested after the alternate list decision) they emphasized that people are accepted off the waitlist, but it just didn't happen for me. I'm sure it's different from year to year, but I would definitely pursue other options during the wait.

Edited by hilaryp

Hey friends! I’ve also been accepted through email to UM’s MSW program for this fall. I got an email about my acceptance in December saying that my official notification would be sent in 2-3 weeks, but haven’t received anything from them since. Is this the case for anyone else? And does anyone know when we’ll hear back about scholarships?

6 hours ago, PennyForYourThoughts said:

Hey friends! I’ve also been accepted through email to UM’s MSW program for this fall. I got an email about my acceptance in December saying that my official notification would be sent in 2-3 weeks, but haven’t received anything from them since. Is this the case for anyone else? And does anyone know when we’ll hear back about scholarships?

Congrats!!! I received that same email and I never did receive another “official” notification. Instead, when I checked wolverine access a few weeks back (I’ve been checking for fin aid info obsessively lol) I noticed a “check decision” link with my acceptance. So maybe that’s the official notification?

I haven’t heard anything about scholarships or special program acceptances yet. My fin aid package is just loans and work study still. 

52 minutes ago, ML878 said:

Congrats!!! I received that same email and I never did receive another “official” notification. Instead, when I checked wolverine access a few weeks back (I’ve been checking for fin aid info obsessively lol) I noticed a “check decision” link with my acceptance. So maybe that’s the official notification?

I haven’t heard anything about scholarships or special program acceptances yet. My fin aid package is just loans and work study still. 

I never received an official notification either! I just found out through the portal website that I was accepted. I wonder when they would even send the emails with the official admission decision?... Sorta confused! Is anyone else in the advanced standing interpersonal communication with a health focus program? If so, let me know!!:)

4 hours ago, ML878 said:

All of this is the same for me. Did you get that email last week reminding applicants about the special program deadline? I'm assuming once that passes and those decisions are made, we will hear more about financial aid packages. I need to know in order to make a decision!

1 hour ago, hilaryp said:

All of this is the same for me. Did you get that email last week reminding applicants about the special program deadline? I'm assuming once that passes and those decisions are made, we will hear more about financial aid packages. I need to know in order to make a decision!

Yep I got that email too and momentarily freaked out thinking they didn’t receive my application materials or something (especially with those emails people began sending out asking if their application was received!)

I guess no news is still good news at this point! March 1st is the official last deadline for the special programs, but I’m hoping we’ll hear back before then. I’d love to make a decision soon too!!

5 hours ago, jkd271 said:

I never received an official notification either! I just found out through the portal website that I was accepted. I wonder when they would even send the emails with the official admission decision?... Sorta confused! Is anyone else in the advanced standing interpersonal communication with a health focus program? If so, let me know!!:)

I received the email first, then found the decision on the portal site later. I think that’s the order other people have received it too, but as long as you see the decision on your wolverine access, it’s probably fine you didn’t get the enail too! And I’m also pursuing the 2 areas you mentioned, but in regular standing.

Hi! I was accepted to the 20 month Int Prac/Mental Health program. I wanted to post on here about my experience because it seems like some others are confused like I was when I got the decision email. This is what happened to me: I got an email on December 21 notifying me that I'd been accepted and would receive official word in a few weeks. When I went on the wolverine access page I saw the acceptance but didn't see an official letter. Finally, on January 28th I received an email with the official decision letter attached.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:35 PM, hilaryp said:

Hey when did you get your information for wolverine access?  I applied in January and I haven't gotten any sort of email with info on it.

8 minutes ago, rach19 said:

Hey when did you get your information for wolverine access?  I applied in January and I haven't gotten any sort of email with info on it.

Did you check junk mail? It went there when I received it. Was on 1/29

Edited by Tomlinson87