Jump to content
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

NYU MSW Fall 2019!?


Capturedvitality
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, MSW1313 said:

So I received my admissions to Columbia this evening, and NYU last friday. Did anyone else apply to both schools as well? Thoughts between the two? It's going to be a tough decision.. I'm visiting both schools this weekend

I did! I’m in the same boat as you, tough choice to make! I heard such good things about NYU at the beginning of the process, but I’ve also been hearing good things about Columbia (and of course the name really helps! The price though...) 

Would it be possible for you to share your experience after you visit? I’m out of state and can’t make it to an on campus visit...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, cymsw1163 said:

I did! I’m in the same boat as you, tough choice to make! I heard such good things about NYU at the beginning of the process, but I’ve also been hearing good things about Columbia (and of course the name really helps! The price though...) 

Would it be possible for you to share your experience after you visit? I’m out of state and can’t make it to an on campus visit...

sure! private message me Monday so I don't forget 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:43 AM, v.oye said:

Hi! I am also debating between schools that have a hefty price tag (expensive but great name value) v. a state school that naturally is cheaper. Rutgers is also in the mix for me, and while I haven't made a decision its important to remember that RU has a really good MSW program that is often name dropped when you ask people (on the east coast at least) where one should think about applying for MSW. So while it isn't an NYU, you still have a little name value and significantlyyyyy less in loans, especially considering we probably wont be making a crazy amount. 

But this is just me thinking from a more "reasonable" standpoint. I'm still debating lol

If you have any more insight let me know! I'm still having a tough time deciding. After speaking to my previous advisors,  I am leaning more towards Rutgers, because it does have good name value as well as interesting certificate programs and less loans. Although, it is hard for me to give up the idea of NYU. I'm trying to make the right decision for me, and any advice or information you come across will be helpful. I'm reading on this site about some people who gave up Ivy league schools for Rutgers, because the acceptance rate for MSW is relatively high and later salary isn't great. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:43 AM, v.oye said:

Hi! I am also debating between schools that have a hefty price tag (expensive but great name value) v. a state school that naturally is cheaper. Rutgers is also in the mix for me, and while I haven't made a decision its important to remember that RU has a really good MSW program that is often name dropped when you ask people (on the east coast at least) where one should think about applying for MSW. So while it isn't an NYU, you still have a little name value and significantlyyyyy less in loans, especially considering we probably wont be making a crazy amount. 

But this is just me thinking from a more "reasonable" standpoint. I'm still debating lol

 

Edited by Mariah
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Mariah said:

If you have any more insight let me know! I'm still having a tough time deciding. After speaking to my previous advisors,  I am leaning more towards Rutgers, because it does have good name value as well as interesting certificate programs and less loans. Although, it is hard for me to give up the idea of NYU. I'm trying to make the right decision for me, and any advice or information you come across will be helpful. I'm reading on this site about some people who gave up Ivy league schools for Rutgers, because the acceptance rate for MSW is relatively high and later salary isn't great. 

I found this really great thread basically about picking between ivy league and state schools. I'll link it: 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm fortunate to be in the NY area before school, so leaving some points I have heard in conversations with people who both attended NYU and people who chose not to (note: most of these are anecdotal, treat them as such!):

Potential pros:

+ Students at NYU are really happy - have heard from everyone they loved the program, even secondhand / to the point of promotional (e.g., "my friend goes there and loves it!)

+Student services / support staff are great - will "white glove" you more than other schools. This is in contrast, to Hunter, for example, where people say dealing with administration feels like you're getting advocacy practice :)

+ Really strong clinical background - if you think you might want to go into private practice or pursue further clinical studies (e.g., additional psychotherapy training, applying to clinical psych PhD programs), NYU is very strong

+People seem happy with placements - but no moreso than students at Hunter (if you are comparing between the two / looking at NY schools). In general, NY has most cities beat on the wealth of placement options

+I work in NY now, and if you plan to stay in NY, the people I see in leadership roles at non-profits / agencies most commonly have their degrees from NYU or Hunter. Notably, come across Columbia less commonly (which maybe be because more of their grads leave NY and / or are international)

+Seems to be more of a social community (more younger folks / people attending full time / not commuting too far to school)

+Brand recognition out of state

+Strong other grad schools (Policy, Psychology, etc.)

 

Potential cons:

- Explicitly less focus on macro (may not be a con for you)

-Higher debt (obviously)

-Student body likely to be less diverse (economically and racially) than a state school, due to $$, Hunter actually directly levied the "we're more social justice orientated" charge at NYU during an info session

-Student body seems to have fewer people with many years experience in social work who you can learn from (the way you would see at Hunter, where you'll get more people with 10+ years experience doing classes at night, for example) (this is the converse of the social community pro)

-Hear slightly more respect among New Yorkers for folks going to Hunter who plan to work in NY - some light judgment of folks who choose to take on the debt of NYU vs. go to Hunter (NYU kind of has a reputation in general in the city as a "rich kid" school, and there's a lot of pride in the CUNY school system)

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been following this on the NYU student page on Facebook. Not the first of incidents. A lot of students speaking up that this is not the first incident like that. It’s a real bummer with a social work program.

1 hour ago, MSW1313 said:

https://nyunews.com/2019/02/12/racist-tweet-nyu-silver/?fbclid=IwAR2d8aNwdzhPyWz-FIlO007SdxfN1Svs_Q9MEomzmrAOQB2pdpE7OOVMaIw

 

Have people heard about this? It was just published and occurred in the MSW program!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, mswguy said:

Been following this on the NYU student page on Facebook. Not the first of incidents. A lot of students speaking up that this is not the first incident like that. It’s a real bummer with a social work program.

 

I am sure these events occur in many programs which hurts my heart although, I am glad that NYU is taking it seriously and reaching out to support the student. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Capturedvitality said:

I am sure these events occur in many programs which hurts my heart although, I am glad that NYU is taking it seriously and reaching out to support the student. 

For sure. Definitely not just an NYU thing. The follow up and followthrough afterward is most important to see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just gonna add my two cents here as someone who went to NYU for undergrad - sadly, that incident does not surprise me. There were almost no black students in my program and in one of my philosophy classes a student decided to impersonate a black slave in order to illustrate Hegel’s master-slave dialectic. It was really horrifying and no action was taken. They do have CMEP which plans a lot of events throughout the year but my sense from my very limited perspective as a white person who has obviously never experienced racism is that it’s generally kind of an uphill battle to be a minority at NYU. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Just gonna add my two cents here as someone who went to NYU for undergrad - sadly, that incident does not surprise me. There were almost no black students in my program and in one of my philosophy classes a student decided to impersonate a black slave in order to illustrate Hegel’s master-slave dialectic. It was really horrifying and no action was taken. They do have CMEP which plans a lot of events throughout the year but my sense from my very limited perspective as a white person who has obviously never experienced racism is that it’s generally kind of an uphill battle to be a minority at NYU. 

wow! from how the program presents itself i was thinking the complete opposite! this is shocking to keep hearing things of this nature happening there..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, MSW1313 said:

wow! from how the program presents itself i was thinking the complete opposite! this is shocking to keep hearing things of this nature happening there..

I mean, it's important to keep in mind that this was an undergrad in a different program, but yeah, I would be wary of it if a big selling point is the diversity of the program. I will say that I lived with several students who were in Silver for undergrad and they were lovely and seemed to enjoy the program.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi guys!

Does anyone have insight on what additional funding might be available beyond the up to 17K that is given in the admissions offers? I know that there's other scholarships that you can apply for after being admitted / over the summer? But I'm wondering what the odds of getting those are, what average award is etc. Trying to get a sense for what the final sticker price is actually likely to be.

Also, has anyone met with financial aid at one of the open hours and found it helpful? 

For context - I'm a career changer who has decent personal savings from my past jobs, so I'm probably not a candidate for most need based awards, but I may be wrong. We'll see how FAFSA shakes out.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ddd777 said:

I spoke to someone through email and was told they would start my appeal process by today (still haven't received an email). no clue on when we'll receive financial aid packages though. 

Thanks for responding! any tips / advice on reasons to give for making the appeal? I only got 12K and would like to get it bumped up to the 17 or at least 15, but without knowing what they base the awards on it's hard to know. The other schools I applied to are public schools so I don't expect to get much if any aid, but their total dollar $ is still lower, so planning to use that.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MSWFall2019 said:

Thanks for responding! any tips / advice on reasons to give for making the appeal? I only got 12K and would like to get it bumped up to the 17 or at least 15, but without knowing what they base the awards on it's hard to know. The other schools I applied to are public schools so I don't expect to get much if any aid, but their total dollar $ is still lower, so planning to use that.  

I got 12k as well! I'm not sure how the appeal process works? IDK if it's a form you have to fill out or if you have to like explain your reasons/or please your case for more money. My friend attends NYU for undergrad and she essentially just emailed the office of finaid asking for more money. Im moreso curious about my financial aid package, they can't really expect me to commit to the school without seeing that first. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey y'all, I was accepted to NYU a couple weeks ago and it has been my dream school for quite some time, but it is so expensive! I am hesitant at acquiring that amount of debt at such a young age (I just turned 21). Does anyone have any information on ways to get extra funding? As a first-generation college student I often find myself without anyone to seek help/advice from. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.