Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

I might be a bit early in posting this here, but since my final deadlines are approaching and some admissions committees are beginning to meet in the next few days, I figured it was time to create a thread designated for information/moral support in this stressful time. 

Let's commiserate!  

I've scoured the results page from last year and compiled a list of dates that various departments released decisions. I think there's some variation in these dates from year to year, but I still thought you all might find it useful. These are all strictly for sociology doctoral programs (which is to say, I haven't included any development sociology degree programs or terminal masters programs).

(I've only done this for the top 20ish programs though -- feel free to add any that I missed!)

Berkeley - Acceptances released on Jan. 26

Michigan - Acceptances released on Feb. 9

Harvard - Acceptances released on Feb. 10

Princeton - Acceptances released on Feb. 1, 8, and 19 (not sure why so spread out)

Chicago - Acceptances released on Feb. 6, interviews requested in the second-third week of January (not clear if interview is required of all admitted applicants or not)

Stanford - Acceptances released on Jan. 26

UCLA - Acceptances released on Jan. 12, 20, 26, 30, and Feb. 13 (as with Princeton, not sure why so spread out)

UNC - Acceptances released on Jan. 22, 25, 26, 29 -- most released on Jan. 26

UW-Madison - Acceptances released on Jan. 31

Northwestern - Acceptances released on Feb. 15

UPenn - Acceptances released on Feb. 23

Columbia - Acceptances released on Feb. 6 and 7, but mostly on Feb. 12

Indiana - Acceptances released on Feb. 2, 8, and 10, interviews requested on Jan. 30

UT-Austin - Acceptances released mostly on Jan. 25, some on Jan. 28

Duke - Acceptances released Jan. 29

NYU - Acceptances released Feb. 16 (REJECTIONS NOT RELEASED FOR A WHOLE MONTH AFTERWARD; this is not the case for really any other department)

Washington - 1 Acceptances released Jan. 18, most acceptances released Feb. 5 and 6

Yale - Acceptances released on Feb. 15 and 16

Cornell - Acceptances released on Feb. 15

Brown - Acceptances released on Feb. 14

UC Irvine - Acceptances released on Jan. 15, 23, 24, 25

U of Arizona - Acceptances released on Feb. 3

Penn State - Acceptances released on Feb. 3, 5, and 20

Minnesota - Acceptances released on Jan. 31 

Edited by sociopolitic

21 minutes ago, sociopolitic said:

I've scoured the results page from last year and compiled a list of dates that various departments released decisions. I think there's some variation in these dates from year to year, but I still thought you all might find it useful. These are all strictly for sociology doctoral programs (which is to say, I haven't included any development sociology degree programs or terminal masters programs).

(I've only done this for the top 20ish programs though -- feel free to add any that I missed!)

Berkeley - Acceptances released on Jan. 26

Michigan - Acceptances released on Feb. 9

Harvard - Acceptances released on Feb. 10

Princeton - Acceptances released on Feb. 1, 8, and 19 (not sure why so spread out)

Chicago - Acceptances released on Feb. 6, interviews requested in the second-third week of January (not clear if interview is required of all admitted applicants or not)

Stanford - Acceptances released on Jan. 26

UCLA - Acceptances released on Jan. 12, 20, 26, 30, and Feb. 13 (as with Princeton, not sure why so spread out)

UNC - Acceptances released on Jan. 22, 25, 26, 29 -- most released on Jan. 26

UW-Madison - Acceptances released on Jan. 31

Northwestern - Acceptances released on Feb. 15

UPenn - Acceptances released on Feb. 23

Columbia - Acceptances released on Feb. 6 and 7, but mostly on Feb. 12

Indiana - Acceptances released on Feb. 2, 8, and 10, interviews requested on Jan. 30

UT-Austin - Acceptances released mostly on Jan. 25, some on Jan. 28

Duke - Acceptances released Jan. 29

NYU - Acceptances released Feb. 16 (REJECTIONS NOT RELEASED FOR A WHOLE MONTH AFTERWARD; this is not the case for really any other department)

Washington - 1 Acceptances released Jan. 18, most acceptances released Feb. 5 and 6

Yale - Acceptances released on Feb. 15 and 16

Cornell - Acceptances released on Feb. 15

Brown - Acceptances released on Feb. 14

UC Irvine - Acceptances released on Jan. 15, 23, 24, 25

U of Arizona - Acceptances released on Feb. 3

Penn State - Acceptances released on Feb. 3, 5, and 20

Minnesota - Acceptances released on Jan. 31 

This is so helpful. I have been coming on the grad cafe checking the results board and scouring last year's dates as well. Turned in my last application today and I am officially a nervous wreck now that it is January. According to last year's results, I am anticipating hearing from UC Irvine and UCLA first....which happen to be like the only two schools I feel I stand a chance with ? Luckily I have both of my children's birthdays this month to hopefully keep my mind busy. Best of luck to you!

7 minutes ago, jriveracal said:

This is so helpful. I have been coming on the grad cafe checking the results board and scouring last year's dates as well. Turned in my last application today and I am officially a nervous wreck now that it is January. According to last year's results, I am anticipating hearing from UC Irvine and UCLA first....which happen to be like the only two schools I feel I stand a chance with ? Luckily I have both of my children's birthdays this month to hopefully keep my mind busy. Best of luck to you!

I'm just trying to push it to the back of my mind! I've been a ball of anxiety for so much of the past few months, it's almost calming to realize that I'll know one way or the other in just a couple of months.

Why do you think you only stand a chance at those schools? Where else did you apply? I'm starting to worry that I didn't apply to enough departments... Here's hoping things pan out the way we want them to!!!

Edited by sociopolitic

One thing to keep in mind is that the spread can be in part due to how schools notify you of acceptance. For example, UNC has some variation, but it's all in a week or so period. This is because they have a faculty member you listed on your SoP call you, so it depends on that professor's schedule. Other schools will do it by email, so it all goes out at once. I'm sure these things also change year to year.

This is mostly to say that it is not worth getting stressed and assuming you've been rejected somewhere just because some people have already gotten in. I had schools where I thought this was the case and I just got a phone call a couple days later entirely due to scheduling.

On 1/1/2019 at 10:09 PM, sociopolitic said:

I'm just trying to push it to the back of my mind! I've been a ball of anxiety for so much of the past few months, it's almost calming to realize that I'll know one way or the other in just a couple of months.

Why do you think you only stand a chance at those schools? Where else did you apply? I'm starting to worry that I didn't apply to enough departments... Here's hoping things pan out the way we want them to!!!

I am so worried about acceptance that I applied to 14 schools ? I have a kickass undergrad GPA from a major public institution and a lot of qualitative research experience, but my GRE is complete shit, I have no publications, and writing sample is mediocre at best in comparison to others.

I never intended on going to graduate school so I didn't partake in an honors thesis or any other type of preparation for this, so I feel I look pretty weak compared to other applicants who have been preparing for graduate school for years.

What program is your top choice?

49 minutes ago, jriveracal said:

I am so worried about acceptance that I applied to 14 schools ? I have a kickass undergrad GPA from a major public institution and a lot of qualitative research experience, but my GRE is complete shit, I have no publications, and writing sample is mediocre at best in comparison to others.

I never intended on going to graduate school so I didn't partake in an honors thesis or any other type of preparation for this, so I feel I look pretty weak compared to other applicants who have been preparing for graduate school for years.

What program is your top choice?

You sound like a competitive applicant to me! My recommenders make it sound like most applicants don't have any publications yet, so I don't think you're at a serious disadvantage there (I certainly don't have any publications!). And if your GPA is awesome, I'd bet that helps offset lower GREs than you'd like! Plus, I bet that having research experience but not having written a thesis is just fine as long as you show that you can think through research in your SOPs.

I applied to 8 programs but after writing my SOPs I don't even know which is my top choice anymore. The cleanest fit, methodologically and substantively, is probably Duke. NYU would be up there in fit for me too -- maybe even moreso than Duke -- but since my SOP was single-spaced and they asked for it to be double-spaced, I can't help but feel that probably wasted $110 on that application. (And I don't even want to think about the money I wasted in applying to Harvard... why'd I do this to myself?)

Are UCLA and Irvine your top choices/best fit? Or is there another reason that you think your chances are strongest there?

On 1/3/2019 at 11:14 AM, sociopolitic said:

You sound like a competitive applicant to me! My recommenders make it sound like most applicants don't have any publications yet, so I don't think you're at a serious disadvantage there (I certainly don't have any publications!). And if your GPA is awesome, I'd bet that helps offset lower GREs than you'd like! Plus, I bet that having research experience but not having written a thesis is just fine as long as you show that you can think through research in your SOPs.

I applied to 8 programs but after writing my SOPs I don't even know which is my top choice anymore. The cleanest fit, methodologically and substantively, is probably Duke. NYU would be up there in fit for me too -- maybe even moreso than Duke -- but since my SOP was single-spaced and they asked for it to be double-spaced, I can't help but feel that probably wasted $110 on that application. (And I don't even want to think about the money I wasted in applying to Harvard... why'd I do this to myself?)

Are UCLA and Irvine your top choices/best fit? Or is there another reason that you think your chances are strongest there?

Best of luck to you with Duke. I applied for Duke as well despite not being the best fit for my interests. Princeton is my top choice. But it's Princeton lol.

I feel I only have a chance with the UC's because I feel they might be more sympathetic to my status as a non-traditional student. I also know a few of the students in these programs and feel like if they got in that I could stand a shot too lol. Not based on rational logic whatsoever. 

I think it is so weird that there are not more students on this sociology thread. It seems to have had many more active users in previous years.

I am such a nervous wreck, already checking my email every hour.

1 hour ago, jriveracal said:

Best of luck to you with Duke. I applied for Duke as well despite not being the best fit for my interests. Princeton is my top choice. But it's Princeton lol.

I feel I only have a chance with the UC's because I feel they might be more sympathetic to my status as a non-traditional student. I also know a few of the students in these programs and feel like if they got in that I could stand a shot too lol. Not based on rational logic whatsoever. 

I think it is so weird that there are not more students on this sociology thread. It seems to have had many more active users in previous years.

I am such a nervous wreck, already checking my email every hour.

I'm also a non-trad! Community college grad, as well. What are your interests? We applied to a lot of the same schools.

19 hours ago, socchi92 said:

I'm also a non-trad! Community college grad, as well. What are your interests? We applied to a lot of the same schools.

That's awesome. Are you from California?

I am generally interested in the intersection between poverty, culture, the reproduction of inequality and social mobility. I am particularly interested in how parenting beliefs and practices are shaped by the experience of living in poverty and how specific parenting practices are linked to the reproduction of inequality.

What are your interests?

Edited by jriveracal

56 minutes ago, artvandaley said:

hi, applied to 8 programs.. 

how to get past this nervous season? 

also i really hate my job and can quit if i know this already, lol

LOL that's hilarious. I've actually thought about how if I find out that I got into a good program while I'm at work I think I would leave and take the rest of the day off. Just the day though, not forever lol. Kinda like how people who win the lottery walk out of work...Getting into a good program would literally be even better than winning the lottery in my eyes.

I enjoy the people I work with and my job position in general, but it is not in my interest area so it is difficult for me to feel passionate about the work that I do. 

Last year there was an interview from UT Austin sent out on 1/7.  I was hoping get I got an interview.  Do schools normally interview all potential candidates?

I'm a non trad (43 years old - 20 year career in technology) trying to transfer from an MSW program.  I figure I don't really have a chance, but still nervous as hell. 

And I get wanting to put in my notice at work!!!

Whoa, you got an interview?? Congrats!!! You will do great. I applied and still no word...still holding out hope! I am nervous because for all the schools I applied for, my application status just says “submitted”, not even anything like “under consideration”. Worried I totally missed something! 

Best of luck at your interview!! 

That is awesome!! I felt really good about my application, except for my GRE score. I had previously been thinking of applying for history PhDs, where GREs - particularity quant scores - aren’t much of a big deal for admissions. I scored fairly well on a test I took years ago, but that expired. I retook it without really studying (since I didn’t think it would matter that much) and didn’t do as well. I don’t remember my scores off the top of my head, but they were something like 145 quant, 159 verbal and 4.5 writing. From the research I’ve been doing for sociology programs it looks like that’s a fairly big admissions factor, and now I’m worried my scores may have tanked my application. Good to hear they’re admitting such a large cohort, though!

Are there folks out there with similar not so great scores get admitted to either UC Irvine, UCLA, is USC?

6 hours ago, socchi92 said:

I can claim the acceptance. Had a very informal chat over the phone and got an email a few hours later. They're admitting something like 20-25 people, so don't lose hope! 

YAY! Congratulations! 

1 hour ago, NYCStudent said:

That is awesome!! I felt really good about my application, except for my GRE score. I had previously been thinking of applying for history PhDs, where GREs - particularity quant scores - aren’t much of a big deal for admissions. I scored fairly well on a test I took years ago, but that expired. I retook it without really studying (since I didn’t think it would matter that much) and didn’t do as well. I don’t remember my scores off the top of my head, but they were something like 145 quant, 159 verbal and 4.5 writing. From the research I’ve been doing for sociology programs it looks like that’s a fairly big admissions factor, and now I’m worried my scores may have tanked my application. Good to hear they’re admitting such a large cohort, though!

Are there folks out there with similar not so great scores get admitted to either UC Irvine, UCLA, is USC?

I was told by my letter writers to not worry about my GRE scores and our scores are similar. I studied my ass off for 6 months and still didn't do well on the GRE- 149 q 158 v and 5.0 awa.

10 minutes ago, jriveracal said:

I was told by my letter writers to not worry about my GRE scores and our scores are similar. I studied my ass off for 6 months and still didn't do well on the GRE- 149 q 158 v and 5.0 awa.

Phew, that is reassuring! I read the AdComm thread here and got really nervous. 

Shouting it from the rooftops: standardized tests are not a measure of intellectual ability or a predictor of success!   

Crossing my fingers for everyone to get some good news soon! ?

16 hours ago, NYCStudent said:

Whoa, you got an interview?? Congrats!!! You will do great. I applied and still no word...still holding out hope! I am nervous because for all the schools I applied for, my application status just says “submitted”, not even anything like “under consideration”. Worried I totally missed something! 

Best of luck at your interview!! 

When I applied none of my schools updated the application status beyond submitted until a decision had been sent out, so don't freak out if it doesn't say under review.

4 hours ago, NYCStudent said:

While not one of the schools you mentioned, Duke recently updated their FAQ and it says they admitted an applicant with 154 V, 143 Q, 3.0 AWA. https://sociology.duke.edu/frequently-asked-questions