Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

3 hours ago, jriveracal said:

The first UCLA Soc admit is officially posted on the results board. This is so exciting! Anyone here claiming it?

I can claim the UCLA admit! I'm super stoked about it. Wasn't expecting to hear anything from anywhere until next week at least. 

1 hour ago, sociopolitic said:

I can claim the UCLA admit! I'm super stoked about it. Wasn't expecting to hear anything from anywhere until next week at least. 

That's great! Not obsessing at all but I noticed that on the second Friday of 2018 they admitted two people to UCLA, so I had been wondering whether they would be doing the same this year lol. Maybe it is just a coincidence that the first UCLA admit two years in a row was on the second Friday of January. Congratulations!

On 1/12/2019 at 7:43 AM, sociopolitic said:

Congratulations! 

I'm waiting to hear from them..

9 hours ago, artvandaley said:

Congratulations! 

I'm waiting to hear from them..

Thanks!! It looks like last year they rolled their acceptances out over a period of longer than a month, so don't get too anxious yet! There's still plenty of time. 

What are your research interests? Where else did you apply?

Edited by sociopolitic

On 1/8/2019 at 9:52 PM, jriveracal said:

LOL that's hilarious. I've actually thought about how if I find out that I got into a good program while I'm at work I think I would leave and take the rest of the day off. Just the day though, not forever lol. Kinda like how people who win the lottery walk out of work...Getting into a good program would literally be even better than winning the lottery in my eyes.

I enjoy the people I work with and my job position in general, but it is not in my interest area so it is difficult for me to feel passionate about the work that I do. 

:) I know.. it would be indeed better and it seems to be a terrible time to quit (as i wait for the results) but what's the point in doing something you really don't care about.

On 1/13/2019 at 8:25 PM, sociopolitic said:

Thanks!! It looks like last year they rolled their acceptances out over a period of longer than a month, so don't get too anxious yet! There's still plenty of time. 

What are your research interests? Where else did you apply?

Yes, there is a whole other month to be anxious....

haha, but yes, i've applied to 8 programs including UNC, UoT and Princeton. i'm interested in the sociology of work & the city. What about you? 

was UCLA one of your top preferences? you can officially relax then! 

On 1/11/2019 at 9:13 PM, sociopolitic said:

Got my UCLA admit on 1/11 as well! Very excited! Congrats to you as well!

Looking forward to hearing back from other programs.

1 hour ago, Drew_M said:

Lucky! I just saw it on the board. Congratulations. What are your research interests?

1 hour ago, Drew_M said:

What are your research interests? I'm curious whether maybe they were trying to fill a niche with their admits last week. For instance, I'm particularly enthusiastic about the opportunity to get involved with the department's working groups in computational sociology and knowledge/cognitive systems, and anticipate my work having a political/cultural bent to it. 

5 hours ago, artvandaley said:

Yes, there is a whole other month to be anxious....

haha, but yes, i've applied to 8 programs including UNC, UoT and Princeton. i'm interested in the sociology of work & the city. What about you? 

was UCLA one of your top preferences? you can officially relax then! 

Just don't get too anxious, haha!

I'm interested in political culture, and particularly its cognitive foundations. UCLA is in a three-way tie for best fit of the places I applied to, so I'm pretty hype! Breathing a little easier now, lol. 

Edited by sociopolitic

38 minutes ago, jriveracal said:

Lucky! I just saw it on the board. Congratulations. What are your research interests?

My focus is on political and urban sociology/social movements. @sociopolitic, to your question, I expressed a strong interest in the Movements, Organizations, and Markets working group and the Political Sociology and the Global South group. I had also met and spoken with the grad department chair a number of times, as his interests align closely with mine.

6 hours ago, kkr_soc said:

what is everyone doing to keep busy while they wait? i graduated with my bachelor's last month, so now i seem to have much more free time to worry about grad school apps

Trying to pay attention to my actual work (currently doing research with a prof from my undergrad institution), trying to exercise to calm myself down. I thought this period would be chiller than when I was actually doing the applications, but nope.

2 hours ago, sluggerotoole said:

Just got an email from POI at USC - didn't invite me for interview or offer acceptance though! Hopefully it's a good sign!! ?

Congrats...?! Even though there was no 'next step', that's a good sign someone reached out to you! I also applied there...but crickets on my end! What are your research interests?

This board is so interesting - most of the schools that have at least started contacting students are the only 3 I applied for (UCLA, Irvine, USC). The cali schools are on top of it this cycle! Now they just need to admit me haha

Edited by NYCStudent

Hi all,

I really delayed participating in this board because I was worried I would jinx myself (lol). I'm currently getting my MPhil at Cambridge in Sociology and am interested in reproduction & migration. Shaking in my boots over the UCLA admits going out and keeping my fingers crossed. My biggest app weakness is my GRE scores so I'm hoping I don't just get tossed out based on those alone. Love & solidarity during this particularly painful waiting time! 

2 hours ago, gradgirrrl said:

Hi all,

I really delayed participating in this board because I was worried I would jinx myself (lol). I'm currently getting my MPhil at Cambridge in Sociology and am interested in reproduction & migration. Shaking in my boots over the UCLA admits going out and keeping my fingers crossed. My biggest app weakness is my GRE scores so I'm hoping I don't just get tossed out based on those alone. Love & solidarity during this particularly painful waiting time! 

Glad to see I'm not the only one shitting bricks about the UCLA admits so far lol. Are you applying to UCLA as an international student or are you originally from the U.S and went to study at Cambridge? 

22 hours ago, NYCStudent said:

Congrats...?! Even though there was no 'next step', that's a good sign someone reached out to you! I also applied there...but crickets on my end! What are your research interests?

This board is so interesting - most of the schools that have at least started contacting students are the only 3 I applied for (UCLA, Irvine, USC). The cali schools are on top of it this cycle! Now they just need to admit me haha

My research interests are around race, ethnicity and sociology of sport kind of thing. What are yours?

I had emailed this POI when I applied in 2016 (and they were at another university) and not heard anything back until now, so fingers crossed it's positive!

Still no indication of whether this means anything in terms of my application and haven't heard from the university, so don't take it to mean anything in terms of your application, as it doesn't seem that they've sent any offers etc out yet! 

Edited by sluggerotoole

1 hour ago, sluggerotoole said:

My research interests are around race, ethnicity and sociology of sport kind of thing. What are yours?

I had emailed this POI when I applied in 2016 (and they were at another university) and not heard anything back until now, so fingers crossed it's positive!

Still no indication of whether this means anything in terms of my application and haven't heard from the university, so don't take it to mean anything in terms of your application, as it doesn't seem that they've sent any offers etc out yet! 

That is a fascinating research interest - and incredibly timely! USC would be a great place to pursue it. My interests are around the economic/political/social consequences of the recession - particularly how these three issues factor into people's identity around work. SOMEBODY TAKE ME!! ?

congrats to the two who posted their invites to visit day at notre dame!

do either of you (or anybody here) know if they're done sending out invites? if so, should not receiving one (my case, as of now) be interpreted as a rejection? this may be an overly-optimistic thought, but i live pretty far away from the university, so i thought that distance could possibly be a factor as to who is offered the invite and who isn't