Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

18 hours ago, Kidpolicy18 said:

First time on the boards here, and just very curious to know if anyone has gotten an official rejection (or acceptance!) from the Harvard Social Policy (& Sociology in my case) program. It is my first choice and there looks like there's an acceptance on the Board, but I haven't heard anything. I am waitlisted at the three other places I applied (including the Harvard Ed School, since my interest is in children's policy/social welfare research) and since I am in limbo, I would love to have some resolution of something!  

I haven’t heard anything either! I’m not exactly holding out hope but I wouldn’t remind an earth shatteringly pleasant surprise 

15 hours ago, Jenxie said:

Has anyone heard from JHU ? Last week I received an email saying "your application is complete and would be reviewed shortly". Since there are acceptance and waiting lists, I just want the result.

I was also waiting to hear from JHU and UNC.. UNC gave out rejections about 12 hours ago and I had e-mailed JHU 10 days ago. Pasting the response that I received on the same day:

All  letters should be going out this week from our Admission’s Department. Our department is very competitive, we received 130 applications this year and will only admit 5-6 new students. We have sent out our Admit and Wait List letters last week.

We wish you all the best in your future career.

Now I can finally move on!

Edited by artvandaley

On 3/8/2019 at 6:40 PM, Jenxie said:

Has anyone heard from JHU ? Last week I received an email saying "your application is complete and would be reviewed shortly". Since there are acceptance and waiting lists, I just want the result.

I am not sure but I suppose they sent all acceptances. I received an email from one of the POIs that I was waitlisted.

First time posting, hoping to commiserate. I unfortunately went 0/8 this application cycle. 

Based on my discussions with adcomm members/DGSs, a vague transcript from my previous PhD program was fatal. I attended the program for a year, achieved candidacy, but withdrew to care for a family member (father with PDS/Alzheimer's). My previous program had stringent residency requirements and proffered an ultimatum at the conclusion of my two semester sabbatical: return to the city - or within 50km - or have funding withdrawn. I chose the latter. 

Unfortunately, and at the counsel of my letter writers, I forewent including this information in my SOP. Absent this context - and though my CV made clear my attendance period - many programs read my transcript as indicating I was just now withdrawing from a program I'd attended for four years. Justifiably, they were reticent to admit despite my otherwise favourable profile (4.0 GPA, several publications, many conferences, and a 170/168/6.0 GRE breakdown). 

Dejected is a word to describe my current mood; soul-crushing annihilation is another! (Mostly kidding.) I'm not entirely sure why I made this post, to be honest. I think vocalizing the failure to a group of people who understand mitigates the sting - and perhaps prepares me for the embarrassing work of alerting all the "You'll get in everywhere!" people in my life as to my rejections. 

To all the admits: congratulations! I hope to join you all next year. To the rejections: read like you're being paid to, publish like it's your job, and kick next year's ass.

25 minutes ago, sociology999 said:

For those who got into UT, what have your decisions been? I'm anxiously waiting on the waitlist..............

The visit day is not until the 26th, so there probably won't be many decisions until then. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...