Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

20 hours ago, calvinssy said:

Another UCLA offer...losing hope but Congratulations! How come they send emails on Sunday...

Definitely was never expecting any decisions to be released on the weekends. Now I have to worry 24/7 instead of 24/5 lol. 

Congratulations to the UCLA admit from yesterday!

Just speaking for myself here, but I'm taking this as an implied rejection from UCLA at this point.

21 minutes ago, jriveracal said:

Definitely was never expecting any decisions to be released on the weekends. Now I have to worry 24/7 instead of 24/5 lol. 

Just speaking for myself here, but I'm taking this as an implied rejection from UCLA at this point.

I wouldn't assume you'll be rejected from UCLA just quite yet. According to the post on the first page of this thread with last year's notification dates, it looks like people heard back on Jan. 12, 20, 26, 30, and Feb. 13. So UCLA definitely has a history of spreading them out, and a graduate student I talked to who's on the admissions committee last week stated many applications had yet to be reviewed. Don't lose hope!

2 hours ago, NinaMistina said:

The graduate advisor at UT told me this morning that the notices are going on in February. Hoping that means just this week. 

It's kind of hard to believe it's basically February at this point... I'm getting antsy about UT. Anticipating rejection from Penn State and UNC since they've been sending out acceptances already... 

Hi, all. I hope you keep your mind cool in this long, unending, and miserable period.

I applied to 7 programs in Sociology and waiting for the results. Other programs’ post in gradcafe except UNC chapel hill didn’t come out yet, I wonder there’s anyone who can claim the Chapel Hill admission. 

Most admissions of UNC have been posted in January, I’m now losing my hope... thank you everyone and wish you a good luck!!

Edited by socioorsocio

4 minutes ago, socioorsocio said:

Hi, all. I hope you keep your mind cool in this long, unending, and miserable period.

I applied to 7 programs in Sociology and waiting for the results. Other programs’ post in gradcafr except UNC chapel hill didn’t come out yet, I wonder there’s anyone who can claim the Chapel Hill admission. 

Most admissions of UNC have been posted in January, I’m now losing my hope... thank you everyone and wish you a good luck!!

Where did you all apply to? Don't lose hope! That's a lot of programs you're applying to and I am sure you will get into one of them!

Edited by beautifuladrenaline

6 minutes ago, beautifuladrenaline said:

Where did you all apply to? Don't lose hope! That's a lot of programs you're applying to and I am sure you will get into one of them!

I applied to UNC, Duke, Michigan, Columbia, Stanford and so on. I have a strength in quantitative methods, I appealed it in my SoP and sample essay. I’m an international applicant, so my GRE writing score is really bad (V - 162 / Q - 168 / AW 3.5). I’m worried that my writing score holds me back..

Edited by socioorsocio

2 minutes ago, socioorsocio said:

I applied to UNC, Duke, Michigan, Columbia, Stanford and so on. I have a strength in quantitative methods, I appealed it in my SoP and sample essay. I’m an international applicant, so my GRE writing score is really bad (V - 162 / Q - 168 / AW 3.5). I’m worried that my writing score holds me back..

I don't believe so, I think that as long as other aspects of your application are strong, you should have no problem getting in!

2 minutes ago, beautifuladrenaline said:

I don't believe so, I think that as long as other aspects of your application are strong, you should have no problem getting in!

While I'm not applying to sociology program, I think you have a get prelim profile based on your GRE scores. Don't worry so much about your writing score. All the best!

7 hours ago, jriveracal said:

Ahhhh it was me! The reason it came on a Sunday was because a POI I had previously spoken with at length emailed me (seemingly as soon as he found out). Got the official email from the department today. 

2 hours ago, socchi92 said:

Ahhhh it was me! The reason it came on a Sunday was because a POI I had previously spoken with at length emailed me (seemingly as soon as he found out). Got the official email from the department today. 

AHHHHH CONGRATULATIONS! I know you were hoping for UCLA so that's awesome! You are literally slaughtering this cycle lol. 

20 hours ago, sociocritic said:

I want to emphasize the sentiments of this post! DO NOT BE FOOLED BY ANY “DIVERSITY” and “INCLUSION” RHETORIC COMING FROM THIS DEPTARTMENT. The sociology department at Syracuse University is racist. It also *highly* discourages and minziminzes activist scholars. As a whole the department is afraid of being critiqued and is violently opposed to those seeking to create meaningful, tangible change- particularly in regards to race. While this program may admit POC, it does a HORRENDOUS job of supporting them. Retention rates for students of color in this program are ABYSMAL (particularly within the past few years).

This department epitomizes the neoliberal white woman. It functions with her mind, basis decisions off her values, gives kindness to those who follow suit whilst strictly/passively punishing those who disrupt, and vehemently denies such thoughts and actions when confronted.

To be clear and as stated above, there are a few faculty members and colleagues that are allies and give genuine support. However, the department as a whole is toxic.

If you have plans to work with the Women and Gender Studies program at Syracuse University, know that such plans are greatly discouraged by the leadership within the sociology department. HOWEVER. Do NOT let this deter you from building relationships with WGS faulty and students. The WGS department can provide spaces that you will not find in the sociology program, spaces where students of color are centered. Not all WGS spaces will provide this, but the opportunity exists.

If you are are person of color and you decide to attend the sociology program at Syracuse University, go in informed, know/own/live why you are there, and be mindful of what that place may take from you mentally/emotionally/physically. Center yourself. Build your own community. And more power to you.

Wow. So glad I didn’t apply there this cycle. Been hearing around the rumor mill that Syracuse’s sociology department was really problematic and racist. Guess it’s true.

Still waiting on responses from schools I applied to... The anticipation is killing me! 

1 hour ago, jriveracal said:

AHHHHH CONGRATULATIONS! I know you were hoping for UCLA so that's awesome! You are literally slaughtering this cycle lol. 

I may have shed a happy tear. Can't wait to hear about everyone's acceptances! This week will probably be a big one! ❤️ 

Wow congrats to those accepted at Berkeley !

i noticed that some acceptances are going out by phone... is that common??? My phone was literally just stolen lol (not that I really expect to receive a call)

15 minutes ago, markhame said:

Wow congrats to those accepted at Berkeley !

i noticed that some acceptances are going out by phone... is that common??? My phone was literally just stolen lol (not that I really expect to receive a call)

Wow, that sucks so bad. I would definitely reach out to the schools you applied for to update them for a new number that you can be reached at, especially if you did apply for Berkeley. Berkeley's acceptances went out via phone this year, last year, and I think maybe even the year before too.

Ughh seriously? Sigh thanks for the advice I will reach out tomorrow about that. You’d think they could just email!

33 minutes ago, jriveracal said:

Wow, that sucks so bad. I would definitely reach out to the schools you applied for to update them for a new number that you can be reached at, especially if you did apply for Berkeley. Berkeley's acceptances went out via phone this year, last year, and I think maybe even the year before too.

Hey guys! 

Do you think all the Berkeley accepts went out yesterday via phone? I’m an international applicant currently based in London, UK so a bit out of the loop (and time zones). Waiting to host my pity party at the nearest pub ?

Congrats to everyone so far and best of luck!

11 hours ago, socioorsocio said:

I applied to 7 programs in Sociology and waiting for the results. Other programs’ post in gradcafe except UNC chapel hill didn’t come out yet, I wonder there’s anyone who can claim the Chapel Hill admission.

I can claim one of the UNC admits! I wasn't expecting it at all honestly. I got a call from a POI, though, so I wouldn't count yourself out yet -- it could be that your POI just hasn't yet had time to make the call!

Edited by sociopolitic

5 hours ago, markhame said:

Ughh seriously? Sigh thanks for the advice I will reach out tomorrow about that. You’d think they could just email!

My bet is that if they call and you don't pick up, they'll send your offer via email next. Don't stress too much! I can't imagine that not having your phone on hand isn't going to keep your application from consideration. 

Edited by sociopolitic

11 hours ago, socioorsocio said:

I think that if your submitted writing sample is strong and your SOP clearly outlines your quant experience/lucidly explains how you want to apply it as a sociologist, AdComms probably won't even care about your AW score. It seems like, if you prove you can write in your application materials, what do they care what you scored on a timed test?