Stipened Database

Moose#@1%$

I don't know how others feel about this or whether it's even okay to do but, I was wondering if someone (people smarter than me), would want to create a thread with stipend, fees etc. information about programs around the country. I mean something structured like the acceptance and rejection thread? Where all the people on here already at schools or have the info about schools can submit information? Hopefully this makes some sense. I just think it could really help people make informed decisions. One of the biggest surprise that I had at my MA (funded) program was the "fees" that we had to pay. At that time I thought, "man I wish I knew that I would've picked somewhere else." Anyway, hopefully others agree and we can start something like that.

You can see some spotty reporting of stipends for various programs from various years on this site: http://www.phdstipends.com/results

The results are self-reported and most lack information about whether the stipend is the normal package given to all admitted students or whether it includes fellowships.

Edited by Cogitodoncrien

8 hours ago, Moose#@1%$ said:

I don't know how others feel about this or whether it's even okay to do but, I was wondering if someone (people smarter than me), would want to create a thread with stipend, fees etc. information about programs around the country. I mean something structured like the acceptance and rejection thread? Where all the people on here already at schools or have the info about schools can submit information? Hopefully this makes some sense. I just think it could really help people make informed decisions. One of the biggest surprise that I had at my MA (funded) program was the "fees" that we had to pay. At that time I thought, "man I wish I knew that I would've picked somewhere else." Anyway, hopefully others agree and we can start something like that.

Yes please!!

7 hours ago, Cogitodoncrien said:

You can see some spotty reporting of stipends for various programs from various years on this site: http://www.phdstipends.com/results

The results are self-reported and most lack information about whether the stipend is the normal package given to all admitted students or whether it includes fellowships.

Thanks for this! So, would I understanding the LW ratio correctly if I said that anything under a 1 would very likely be inadequate for someone to get by on...?

12 hours ago, Glasperlenspieler said:

This is a little bit dated by now but there's a fair amount of (self-reported) information about stipends/funding for philosophy grad programs here: https://philosophyadmissions.wordpress.com/funding/

This was good. Thanks. Just wish it was more extensive. 

10 hours ago, Kantattheairport said:

Thanks for this! So, would I understanding the LW ratio correctly if I said that anything under a 1 would very likely be inadequate for someone to get by on...?

I think that's a good way to look at it.  From the FAQ page, the living wage ratio is determined by dividing the stipend amount by the living wage amount (which they get from the MIT published "Poverty In America Living Wage Calculator").  So, any LWR that is 1 is equal to the living wage for that city, any LWR that is above 1 is above the living wage for that city, etc.

5 hours ago, Rose-Colored Beetle said:

The other looming variable here is cost of living. A friend from my program recently took a postdoc in LA, and he seems to have less money now than he did on his PhD stipend in a cheaper city.

100 % accurate. Because from just simple calculations it seems places like places like Berkeley are impossible to afford. For instance, the rule of thumb for rent is that it should be around 30% of your income. Berkeley the average rent seems to be around 1500 (if not higher). This would mean that the stipend should be 50000 a year and I just can't imagine that being the case. So, I'm thinking for one to attend Berkeley, either you must be rich, or take on loans or live with 5+ people and barley have a life. Which makes me wonder whether it's worth it. I can imagine a life style like that will have an negative impact on your schooling.

8 minutes ago, Moose#@1%$ said:

100 % accurate. Because from just simple calculations it seems places like places like Berkeley are impossible to afford. For instance, the rule of thumb for rent is that it should be around 30% of your income. Berkeley the average rent seems to be around 1500 (if not higher). This would mean that the stipend should be 50000 a year and I just can't imagine that being the case. So, I'm thinking for one to attend Berkeley, either you must be rich, or take on loans or live with 5+ people and barley have a life. Which makes me wonder whether it's worth it. I can imagine a life style like that will have an negative impact on your schooling.

Don't really know how people do it in California without the largess of a relative, splitting rent with a SO, or having a side gig (don't even know if this is allowed?).  Like if you went to UCLA, there's zero chance you can afford rent in Westwood on a stipend. I worked in Westwood, making considerably more than a stipend, and the best I could do was a 4-br with 3 other guys in Canoga Park, an hour and fifteen mins away by car during rush hour. 

4 hours ago, SexandtheHaecceity said:

Don't really know how people do it in California without the largess of a relative, splitting rent with a SO, or having a side gig (don't even know if this is allowed?).  Like if you went to UCLA, there's zero chance you can afford rent in Westwood on a stipend. I worked in Westwood, making considerably more than a stipend, and the best I could do was a 4-br with 3 other guys in Canoga Park, an hour and fifteen mins away by car during rush hour. 

Right? Even thought I would love to go to Berkeley (if accepted) but I don't know whether that's a good idea. Especially, if I i'd have to take loans... Philosophy is just not worth going into debt for, even though I love it but at some point one must be pragmatic.

19 minutes ago, Moose#@1%$ said:

Right? Even thought I would love to go to Berkeley (if accepted) but I don't know whether that's a good idea. Especially, if I i'd have to take loans... Philosophy is just not worth going into debt for, even though I love it but at some point one must be pragmatic.

Probably worth looking at the school placement stats. I'd go into some debt if I was reasonably certain of avoiding adjunct hell and could pay it back. 

7 minutes ago, SexandtheHaecceity said:

Probably worth looking at the school placement stats. I'd go into some debt if I was reasonably certain of avoiding adjunct hell and could pay it back. 

Yes, but even then... the best placement records (Berkeley and U of Virginia) aren't that great. And yes I'm in adjunct hell atm haha and it's pretty terrible. But, from what I hear around my current department and last... it's becoming increasingly common for departments to hire adjuncts. I've seen and heard retiring faculty to be replaced by adjuncts or non-TT positions. It sucks. But I'm hopeful.

On 1/9/2019 at 6:08 PM, Moose#@1%$ said:

Well... I live in NYC, where my rent is $1800 on a $25,000 gross yearly ($1993 net monthly) stipend. I split with a roommate and pay $950 for rent. I don't live luxuriously, but I'm not walking around naked or lying in dung like the Presocratics.

2 hours ago, Rose-Colored Beetle said:

Well... I live in NYC, where my rent is $1800 on a $25,000 gross yearly ($1993 net monthly) stipend. I split with a roommate and pay $950 for rent. I don't live luxuriously, but I'm not walking around naked or lying in dung like the Presocratics.

Where are you in NYC that your rent is that low? Also, how do you net 1993 at 25,000? What’s the tax rate there? Isn’t it 24% on avg? You should be betting around 1750.. ? That doesn’t leave much income for food electric, car insurance (if you own a car), gas, internet... idk much about nyc but that doesn’t seem enough?

8 hours ago, philosopuppy said:

I have friends who are or have been at programs in LA and NYC and had $40-50k stipends. Just for an additional data point.

WHOA REALLY WHERE IN NYC? CURIOUS MINDS NEED TO KNOW 

9 hours ago, Moose#@1%$ said:

Where are you in NYC that your rent is that low? Also, how do you net 1993 at 25,000? What’s the tax rate there? Isn’t it 24% on avg? You should be betting around 1750.. ? That doesn’t leave much income for food electric, car insurance (if you own a car), gas, internet... idk much about nyc but that doesn’t seem enough?

Where Fordham is (West Bronxish) isn't in a particularly expensive area, rent wise - the prices that are stereotypical NYC are like in Greenwich Village and Chelsea, near NYU. And no one really drives in NYC anyway! Expenses can be high if you get a little irresponsible in nyc, but if you split rent, cook, take the subway/bike etc, it's not awful.

1 hour ago, xinnabon said:

WHOA REALLY WHERE IN NYC? CURIOUS MINDS NEED TO KNOW 

Where Fordham is (West Bronxish) isn't in a particularly expensive area, rent wise - the prices that are stereotypical NYC are like in Greenwich Village and Chelsea, near NYU. And no one really drives in NYC anyway! Expenses can be high if you get a little irresponsible in nyc, but if you split rent, cook, take the subway/bike etc, it's not awful.

Hmm that’s encouraging! Hah but the only place I applied to in NYC is CUNY and have been looking around there. And that area was expensive as hell. Granted I’m coming from Okc haha so the mind set is slightly different on rent. 

Also, this is good info! 

11 hours ago, Moose#@1%$ said:

Hmm that’s encouraging! Hah but the only place I applied to in NYC is CUNY and have been looking around there. And that area was expensive as hell. Granted I’m coming from Okc haha so the mind set is slightly different on rent. 

Also, this is good info! 

CUNY’s stipend is about $25k-35k, which still isn’t a lot for NYC

On 1/11/2019 at 11:10 PM, gradhopeful96 said:

oh woah... that really isn't. But, I'm sure it's doable.. like the others have been saying you'd just have to be frugal. But, then again I'm sure I won't have to worry about CUNY or living in NY... unlikely I'd get in. haha

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2019 at 2:10 AM, Moose#@1%$ said:

No idea about tax percentage... I just know the numbers are accuarate. :)

Electric is about $30 per month per person, and internet is about $25. Food isn't Wisconsin cheap, but it's not terrible, and I like cooking for myself. We don't pay for TV, so that's something. I'm still on my parents' health insurance for another year, but by that time I'll be making more (stipends increase when you start teaching), and the school offers a plan for us to shift into. I don't have a car, because ain't nobody got time for that. Uber and the subway is your friend.

Edited by Rose-Colored Beetle

On 1/12/2019 at 12:10 AM, gradhopeful96 said:

I attend Fordham and we get about $24k or so? I don't live in the Bronx (I'm in upper Manhattan) and I don't have a roommate, which means most of my pay goes towards rent. Definitely factor in the cost of the subway for living in NYC: I have an unlimited monthly pass that's about $120 or so, but comes in handy.