UChicago Doodle Poll

Did every UChicago applicant receive a Doodle poll for a potential interview? Or is this indicative of anything? 

Edited by swarthmawr
Just saw the discussion in the other forum! Who else got this?

21 minutes ago, jadeisokay said:

i applied for film studies but didn't get anything

Same. From what I've seen Chicago CMS doesn't interview though? At least I don't think?

13 hours ago, swarthmawr said:

Didn’t someone in another thread say they were trying to get away from their cut-throat reputation? This doesn’t illustrate that to me, in all honesty. 

Chicago's cut-throat repuation originally stemmed from not guaranteeing equal funding to everyone. Their stipend was originally 10-12.5k and people had to compete for more which created a lot of tension. They've increased the stipend since then but now have fewer spots.

8 hours ago, WildeThing said:

Several of us have not received this email.

Chicago usually gets 600 applicants according to them. They send invites to roughly 5 percent (or 30 applicants) and interview 20 or so. In the previous years, they've accepted 10-15.

4 hours ago, Warelin said:

Chicago's cut-throat repuation originally stemmed from not guaranteeing equal funding to everyone. Their stipend was originally 10-12.5k and people had to compete for more which created a lot of tension. They've increased the stipend since then but now have fewer spots.

Thanks for this information! 

I’m adding @bardie here, too, @beardedlady! I’m hoping one of us will get an interview this week, if not all of us :) 

Do both of you have MA’s or are you applying straight from undergrad? And what are your areas of interest? Would either of you be comfortable sharing which POIs you identified in your SOPs? 

I got my BA from a small liberal arts school (e.g. my username) in 2016, and am interested in representations of race and class in contemporary Black and Asian American cultural production, broadly speaking. 

I'm an international applicant (first time applying!) from an unknown school, with an MA. Currently struggling to write my thesis in the midst of application anxiety. I'm primarily interested in 20th/21st century women's writing, feminist criticism, and queer theory, but focus on the formation (or dissolution) of bodies which also leads me to consider race, disability, etc.

I mentioned Berlant, Brown, and Ellmann. There are several others I could easily imagine working with, but I found these three most relevant (and interesting) to tie with what I wrote in my SOP. 

When they announce interviews, it's going to be the middle of the night where I am. So I know I'm going to feel extremely silly sitting at 1 am, anxiously refreshing my email every two seconds, waiting for an email that will likely not arrive... But waiting is the overarching theme of my life write now, so at least it fits. 

Good luck! To all involved--please do post when you get an interview so I know to stop refreshing and go to bed heh :)

9 hours ago, beardedlady said:

I'm an international applicant (first time applying!) from an unknown school, with an MA. Currently struggling to write my thesis in the midst of application anxiety. I'm primarily interested in 20th/21st century women's writing, feminist criticism, and queer theory, but focus on the formation (or dissolution) of bodies which also leads me to consider race, disability, etc.

I mentioned Berlant, Brown, and Ellmann. There are several others I could easily imagine working with, but I found these three most relevant (and interesting) to tie with what I wrote in my SOP. 

When they announce interviews, it's going to be the middle of the night where I am. So I know I'm going to feel extremely silly sitting at 1 am, anxiously refreshing my email every two seconds, waiting for an email that will likely not arrive... But waiting is the overarching theme of my life write now, so at least it fits. 

Good luck! To all involved--please do post when you get an interview so I know to stop refreshing and go to bed heh :)

This is super interesting. Yes-- I will certainly let you know if I get an email and please do the same! Also-- we have 0 POIs in common :)

I too certainly feel the precarity of the waiting game. Best of luck with the thesis!

5 hours ago, swarthmawr said:

aww I hope you’re not up all night for this while working on your thesis! And your topics sound super cool ? 

we have I think 1 overlapping POI so I hope that doesn’t pit us against one another ?? 

Thanks :) I try not to get in the minds of the adcomm or think how/why they're choosing people for interviews, because that will drive me insane!

5 hours ago, bardie said:

This is super interesting. Yes-- I will certainly let you know if I get an email and please do the same! Also-- we have 0 POIs in common :)

I too certainly feel the precarity of the waiting game. Best of luck with the thesis!

Thanks, good luck to you too!

1 hour ago, swarthmawr said:

Today’s the day! Good luck to everyone. If someone does get one, can they post on here when? 

I certainly will! We all need to stay positive, it is still early in the game (admittedly, though, I have felt nauseous all morning). No interview, too, might not indicate a rejection (it is possible they are just interviewing when they are debating between a few candidates for a given spot with a given POI, i.e. candidates that they are already set on wouldn't need to be interviewed... thoughts on this everyone???). Best of luck to all ❤️

3 minutes ago, bardie said:

I certainly will! We all need to stay positive, it is still early in the game (admittedly, though, I have felt nauseous all morning). No interview, too, might not indicate a rejection (it is possible they are just interviewing when they are debating between a few candidates for a given spot with a given POI, i.e. candidates that they are already set on wouldn't need to be interviewed... thoughts on this everyone???). Best of luck to all ❤️

I had the same thought re not getting an interview not necessarily equaling a rejection, but I want to steel myself against hoping along those lines because it seems a recipe for heartbreak. 

Just now, Fedallah said:

I had the same thought re not getting an interview not necessarily equaling a rejection, but I want to steel myself against hoping along those lines because it seems a recipe for heartbreak. 

Remember, it isn't a rejection until it's a rejection!!!!! Y'all got this!

42 minutes ago, Fedallah said:

I'm not sure if this is how UChicago functions, but a friend of mine who applied to something wildly different (Public Policy Master's) got in without ever getting an interview even though others did get interviews. It is definitely a possibility! 

1 hour ago, sugilite said:

I'm not sure if this is how UChicago functions, but a friend of mine who applied to something wildly different (Public Policy Master's) got in without ever getting an interview even though others did get interviews. It is definitely a possibility! 

This is apparently something that happens at Columbia, where they split into specialties and some specialty committees interview and others don't. From my understanding, though, Chicago is not one of those places.

I’m getting close to my wits’ end here... it’s supposed be sent “later in the afternoon” today, which is nowish I think? Still radio silence for everyone? 

4 minutes ago, swarthmawr said:

I’m getting close to my wits’ end here... it’s supposed be sent “later in the afternoon” today, which is nowish I think? Still radio silence for everyone? 

yup. I think it's 3:15PM in Chicago now, so...like...one more hour? Two? 12? 27? AHHHHHHHHH.