UT Austin Acceptances

Hey! Thanks for starting this thread ☺️ I’m the rogue comp lit acceptance, haven’t had an email from the department or anything yet (just an automated msg to check the portal) so no idea if I’ll be at the same visit day. Hopefully I’ll see some of you there though! What are your fields?

Hello friends! 

I study modern and contemporary cultural productions of women across the African diaspora through an intersectional and Postcolonial lens. 

I am SO excited about UT Austin, but I will visit a bit earlier than the dates they’ve provided. 

So early to think about decisions, I know, but anyone have an inkling about what they’ll do? 

@arbie oh god it’s so hard, I was absolutely certain UTA was gonna be a rejection for me (the lack of visit/funding info is only exacerbating dat imposter syndrome) so honestly I hadn’t even seriously considered the possibility of going there! I’m hoping that visiting the campus and meeting the faculty will give some more clarity, it’s such an amazing place and the course looks absolutely incredible. In any case, I’ve yet to hear from two more schools, and the acceptances I’ve got here in Europe are all pre-funding...so this may be the best offer I have, in which case I’ll be thrilled to take it!

My fields are postcolonial/materialist/feminist-posthumanist intersections in contemporary narratives of nuclear radiation (bit niche!). In a weird way, we might have some crossover though! Co-editors of a bestselling collected volume? ;) 

9 minutes ago, dreid said:

My fields are postcolonial/materialist/feminist-posthumanist intersections in contemporary narratives of nuclear radiation (bit niche!). In a weird way, we might have some crossover though! Co-editors of a bestselling collected volume? ;) 

Hey, girl, hey!!—our POI might definitely be in overlap, which would be so cool.

For me, it’s a fantastic fit, so currently my top choice of places I’ve gotten into so far. Rn I’m at 5a/2r/15p, so still gonna wait to make a decision. 

Im also really worried about the funding situation. I’m not sure if it’s because it feels low in comparison to some other schools or if it’s just explained in a way that makes it feel lower and stressful bc it’s hard to understand. But I also have general anxiet about going from a full time salary to a stipend, so it could just be me. 

5 minutes ago, arbie said:

Hey, girl, hey!!—our POI might definitely be in overlap, which would be so cool.

For me, it’s a fantastic fit, so currently my top choice of places I’ve gotten into so far. Rn I’m at 5a/2r/15p, so still gonna wait to make a decision. 

Im also really worried about the funding situation. I’m not sure if it’s because it feels low in comparison to some other schools or if it’s just explained in a way that makes it feel lower and stressful bc it’s hard to understand. But I also have general anxiet about going from a full time salary to a stipend, so it could just be me

Congrats on all your acceptances, you are killing it!! Yeah I feel you on the funding thing though, I’ve had a glorious year and a half of full-time salary and I’m already dreading the return to the instant noodle student life. I guess you’ve got to weigh up all the different factors - how well the course fits your needs, whether you will enjoy the city, and also whether or not you can actually survive financially. I certainly don’t wanna have to spend five years living on cereal with no medical insurance (although to be fair that basically defines my undergrad experience and I survived that!).

I’m also interviewing at USC next month, which seems to be a lot more generous with their stipends...but then again living in LA is basically the same as throwing money out the window (plus they uh haven’t actually accepted me yet), so who really knows? ?

3 minutes ago, dreid said:

I’m also interviewing at USC next month, which seems to be a lot more generous with their stipends...but then again living in LA is basically the same as throwing money out the window (plus they uh haven’t actually accepted me yet), so who really knows? ?

Congrats on the interview!! Fingers crossed for you! I’m told negotiation is a thing we should be doing, so perhaps you can use higher offers to help at UT— not sure how much they’ll budge, but worth a shot I know I’ll shoot lol

Hi! I'm also in at UT & will be there in March. I focus on 20th century queer & feminist global literatures, and theory: queer/disability studies, and posthumanism. I'm glad the funding info stressed other people out as well; I had no idea what I was reading, lmao. 

By the looks of it I applied to much fewer schools than most people did, and I've already heard back from the two I really wanted. So at this point in time I am 90% sure I'm going to Rice, but I'm going to wait to visit both before officially deciding! There is a Big Name in disability studies at UT now, and I'm pretty excited about that, tbh. 

Hi everyone. I will definitely be attending the visit days in March as well. I'm SO excited. UT Austin is the only program I have heard from so far, but it was a top choice so I'm not super stressing about my others atm. I focus on 20th century and contemporary Anglophone and Francophone Caribbean Lit, U.S. South, energy studies, disaster narratives (hurricanes, droughts, oil spills, etc), postcolonial and ecocrit. You all have fascinating interests, and I look forward to meeting everyone. 

Hi everyone! 

My focus is on 19th Century British Literature, Queer Theory, and Race and Empire! UT is also one of my top choices, so I'm really excited by the opportunity. Though like others, I have to see how my other applications go first before I make my final decision, since funding is also a concern for me as well.

I'm hoping I'll be able to make the campus visit, but since I live in Asia, I don't know how much they can help with the cost (a single flight is about 1000 dollars... ), so I'll have to contact them first and see how it goes.

I wasn't accepted to UT, but it was my undergrad institution and I've been living in atx for about six years now. FWIW, I think a 17k+ stipend is really livable, if you're able to find a roommate or two. Studio apartments will run 900-1000+ per month here, but sharing a living space will probably set your rent in the 400-800/month range. Feel free to DM me if you have questions!

2 minutes ago, dilby said:

I wasn't accepted to UT, but it was my undergrad institution and I've been living in atx for about six years now. FWIW, I think a 17k+ stipend is really livable, if you're able to find a roommate or two. Studio apartments will run 900-1000+ per month here, but sharing a living space will probably set your rent in the 400-800/month range. Feel free to DM me if you have questions!

I went to a different undergrad school that was also in Austin. It's a great city, definitely a huge pro for me!  

Hello again UTA pals! Was wondering if any of you wonderful creatures could help me out with something? It’s now been three days since my portal status changed, and I still haven’t had any contact from the department. Do you think it’s too eager to email them and ask about visit days and maybe enquire about the funding situation? Can’t tell if it’s totally normal to have a delay and I’m just being impatient, or if there was an email that just didn’t get to me, or if (worst case scenario) the acceptance genuinely was an administrative error! Thank you thank you thank you for any insights! ?

18 minutes ago, dreid said:

Hello again UTA pals! Was wondering if any of you wonderful creatures could help me out with something? It’s now been three days since my portal status changed, and I still haven’t had any contact from the department. Do you think it’s too eager to email them and ask about visit days and maybe enquire about the funding situation? Can’t tell if it’s totally normal to have a delay and I’m just being impatient, or if there was an email that just didn’t get to me, or if (worst case scenario) the acceptance genuinely was an administrative error! Thank you thank you thank you for any insights! ?

I think it makes sense to contact them. It seems to be just one person handling all the online paperwork stuff so I’m sure you’re fine. 

Another UT acceptee here! I hope to make it to the visit, but the flight will run at about 1500$ and will take over 20 hours, so I'm not sure yet if it'll be feasible. 

My focus in 20th/21st c women's writing, aesthetics, formations of time, feminist and queer theory, with a pinch of critical race and disability studies. 

@dreid I also think contacting them couldn't hurt, especially since it's already been a few days since the acceptances came out.

2 hours ago, beardedlady said:

Another UT acceptee here! I hope to make it to the visit, but the flight will run at about 1500$ and will take over 20 hours, so I'm not sure yet if it'll be feasible. 

My focus in 20th/21st c women's writing, aesthetics, formations of time, feminist and queer theory, with a pinch of critical race and disability studies. 

@dreid I also think contacting them couldn't hurt, especially since it's already been a few days since the acceptances came out.

Oh man, I'm in the same boat! It's also about 20 hours flight for me, so I'm planning to shoot an email to ask for more details this weekend. 

@dreid And echoing everone else. I had to email the coordinator during the application process due to some issues regarding my recommendations, and she was quite nice and accomodating in her replies, even when I emailed her when it was 4-5 am over there (timezones). So no need to worry.

Edited by purrfectpals

Thanks again for your help everyone. I just got a response from the coordinator saying that funding/campus visit info will come my way soon (hooray!). @purrfectpals and @beardedlady - the email also said that “flights will be covered partially, if not in full, by the department”. So that inspires a bit of hope on the financial side of things!

On 2/1/2019 at 9:34 AM, tacocat211 said:

Anyone accepted to the Rhetoric or DLL concentration? I seem to only see Lit. acceptances here.

I've been accepted into the Rhetoric concentration, and have some crossover with DLL too. Would love to hear from the other Rhetoric folks who might be visiting/accepting!

On 2/4/2019 at 5:44 PM, Pnwonder said:

I've been accepted into the Rhetoric concentration, and have some crossover with DLL too. Would love to hear from the other Rhetoric folks who might be visiting/accepting!

If anyone has any questions about UT Austin rhetoric, I'm happy to talk about the program. I'm in my first year here.

Edited by mk-8