SoCal Applicants!

Hey SoCal applicants! 

Just curious, given how competitive SoCal is:

1.  how many schools did you apply to?
  2.  if you're from SoCal, did you apply to any out of state schools? Would you prefer to stay in state?
  3. if you're not from SoCal, what made you want to attend out here?

I applied to 7 schools in SoCal because I so badly want to stay local, but also applied to two out of state to be on the safe side. The crazy thing is the out of state schools were ranked significantly better on US News, but according to EdFind, 2 or 3 times easier to get into than some of my top choice SoCal schools. Anyone in a similar situation? How did you set yourself apart?

Hi,

I am from SoCal and applied to two SoCal schools, Biola and Loma Linda. I wish I applied to more but my stats are not good so I didn't see the use. However, I applied to 5+ schools out of state (mostly online). 

3 hours ago, Rezzy S. said:

Hey SoCal applicants! 

Just curious, given how competitive SoCal is:

1.  how many schools did you apply to?
  2.  if you're from SoCal, did you apply to any out of state schools? Would you prefer to stay in state?
  3. if you're not from SoCal, what made you want to attend out here?

I applied to 7 schools in SoCal because I so badly want to stay local, but also applied to two out of state to be on the safe side. The crazy thing is the out of state schools were ranked significantly better on US News, but according to EdFind, 2 or 3 times easier to get into than some of my top choice SoCal schools. Anyone in a similar situation? How did you set yourself apart?

I'm from SoCal, I applied to 2 local schools: CSUF and Biola. The rest of the 4 schools I applied to are out of state. I'd love to stay here, but I have to be realistic in this process. I may end up needing to move out of California regardless if I get into a program this year (personal/familial fiances). I talked about my work experience since graduating with my B.A., leadership as a NSSLHA officer, and volunteer experience I have. 

I have low GPA and GRE stats so they're typically seen as not "competitive."

I'm waiting to hear back from 5 programs now. I was rejected from ASU last week.

1 hour ago, libbyyehca said:

I'm from SoCal, I applied to 2 local schools: CSUF and Biola. The rest of the 4 schools I applied to are out of state. I'd love to stay here, but I have to be realistic in this process. I may end up needing to move out of California regardless if I get into a program this year (personal/familial fiances). I talked about my work experience since graduating with my B.A., leadership as a NSSLHA officer, and volunteer experience I have. 

I have low GPA and GRE stats so they're typically seen as not "competitive."

I'm waiting to hear back from 5 programs now. I was rejected from ASU last week.

Your work history is really impressive and I'm wishing you only good news from here on out. ☺️

California is so expensive so I get you on that front. 

2 hours ago, Toya said:

Hi,

I am from SoCal and applied to two SoCal schools, Biola and Loma Linda. I wish I applied to more but my stats are not good so I didn't see the use. However, I applied to 5+ schools out of state (mostly online). 

Congrats on your acceptances so far! 

Hi!

1. I applied to 9 schools, 2 of them being located in socal. 

2. I'm from NorCal, but currently at UNR for undergrad. I've only been here for a little under 2 years and still have residency in California. I'm thinking going back to California might be cheaper than going out of state, but I still applied to some competitive out of state schools. 

3. I applied to Loma Linda because I am legacy there and they have a good medical focus as well as school focus and I feel like I would come out of there as a well rounded and competent clinician and be able to go into either feild. I have an interview there next Friday and I'm beyond excited. I also applied to San Diego State University. Although I feel like I have decently competitive stats, I know it's very competitive to get in and I expect to get to waitlisted here. I chose to apply here because tuition is so low for in state applicants and they have a great program. Although my only drawback is the expensive to live there will counteract the low tuition rates. 

I hope this helps you and the best of luck to all!!

I'm from so cal! I applied to 12 schools, I applied to 5 in state and the rest out of state. I went to my undergrad at CU Boulder, so a lot of the so cal grad programs have way more pre-reqs that I would have to take so I didn't apply to all the ones I intended to originally. I would prefer to move back, but I have had to prove my residency several times for tuition purposes which was a hassle. If anyone has any questions about schools, I might be able to help! 

5 hours ago, slptobe! said:

I'm from so cal! I applied to 12 schools, I applied to 5 in state and the rest out of state. I went to my undergrad at CU Boulder, so a lot of the so cal grad programs have way more pre-reqs that I would have to take so I didn't apply to all the ones I intended to originally. I would prefer to move back, but I have had to prove my residency several times for tuition purposes which was a hassle. If anyone has any questions about schools, I might be able to help! 

Good luck on your Washington State interview! 

I’m from socal and I applied to 3 schools: CSUSM, Chapman, and SDSU. I didn’t apply to any out of state schools because my husband has a really great job here that will support us while I’m in school and we have a baby so we wanted to stay close to our families right now. If I don’t get in anywhere this cycle, I plan to either apply to online programs or get my slpa license and get some experience in the field. I interviewed at Chapman yesterday and I felt like it went well so I’m crossing my fingers!

Edited by sflemingo

Congrats on the interview with Chapman! Becoming a SLPA is my plan B as well. I think it would be a really good experience.

That’s super cool your family is so supportive so you can go to school. CSD students who are parents are my heroes - I don’t know how you guys do it all! :)

23 minutes ago, sflemingo said:

I’m from socal and I applied to 3 schools: CSUSM, Chapman, and SDSU. I didn’t apply to any out of state schools because my husband has a really great job here that will support us while I’m in school and we have a baby so we wanted to stay close to our families right now. If I don’t get in anywhere this cycle, I plan to either apply to online programs or get my slpa license and get some experience in the field. I interviewed at Chapman yesterday and I felt like it went well so I’m crossing my fingers!

Oops! I forgot to quote you above!

11 minutes ago, Rezzy S. said:

Congrats on the interview with Chapman! Becoming a SLPA is my plan B as well. I think it would be a really good experience.

That’s super cool your family is so supportive so you can go to school. CSD students who are parents are my heroes - I don’t know how you guys do it all! :)

Thank you!! :) Which schools did you apply to? Have you heard anything yet?

Yeah, I’m definitely really lucky to have a really supportive husband and family. Otherwise, I don’t think I’d be able to even fathom doing a grad program. I’m honestly not sure I’ll survive. Lol The professor at Chapman yesterday told me about a current student who gave birth and was in class 2 weeks later with said baby in tow! Definitely encouraging for me but I also think people like that must be aliens. ;) 

2 hours ago, sflemingo said:

Thank you!! :) Which schools did you apply to? Have you heard anything yet?

Yeah, I’m definitely really lucky to have a really supportive husband and family. Otherwise, I don’t think I’d be able to even fathom doing a grad program. I’m honestly not sure I’ll survive. Lol The professor at Chapman yesterday told me about a current student who gave birth and was in class 2 weeks later with said baby in tow! Definitely encouraging for me but I also think people like that must be aliens. ;) 

Wow -- In class 2 weeks after giving birth really is super-human!

I've applied to a few CSU's and CA private schools as well as a couple out of state. I have an interview with Cal Baptist coming up. I applied to Chapman and haven't been invited for an interview so I'm thinking I probably won't be hearing from them at this point.

Edited by Rezzy S.

1 hour ago, Rezzy S. said:

Wow -- In class 2 weeks after giving birth really is super-human!

I've applied to a few CSU's and CA private schools as well as a couple out of state. I have an interview with Cal Baptist coming up. I applied to Chapman and haven't been invited for an interview so I'm thinking I probably won't be hearing from them at this point.

Congrats on your interview with Cal Baptist!! You may still hear from Chapman though. From what I’ve read in past boards, they interview through April and I think one of their emails said they start interviewing while they continue reviewing applications. So I wouldn’t discount them just yet. 

On 2/16/2019 at 2:04 PM, slptobe! said:

I agree, the residency paperwork is a hassle. Which school asked you? I had to send in the residency form and all of the accompanying materials to SDSU and I live in California! 

46 minutes ago, SoCali said:

I agree, the residency paperwork is a hassle. Which school asked you? I had to send in the residency form and all of the accompanying materials to SDSU and I live in California! 

I had to send in multiple sets of forms to SDSU and one to SJSU! I had to send all of my transcripts all the way back to kindergarten after being told the previous set of forms was not enough to prove it!

On 2/24/2019 at 1:12 AM, sflemingo said:

Congrats on your interview with Cal Baptist!! You may still hear from Chapman though. From what I’ve read in past boards, they interview through April and I think one of their emails said they start interviewing while they continue reviewing applications. So I wouldn’t discount them just yet. 

I applied to CSULB, Chapman, SDSU, CSUSM, CSU Fullerton, and CSULA. I also haven’t heard from Chapman but I submitted my application I think the day before the deadline and they said they process them in the order received or something like that IIRC, so still hoping for a reply! 

Of the remaining ones, I got a CSUSM interview, got an email from Long Beach that my application was forwarded to the grad committee for final review (after some transcript issues the school helped me through that were resolved about 2 weeks ago), and I got the 600+ applications email from CSUF, but nothing else so getting nervous :) 

Good luck to everyone!! Way to go on your Chapman interview!!

1 hour ago, Rosegrl211 said:

I applied to CSULB, Chapman, SDSU, CSUSM, CSU Fullerton, and CSULA. I also haven’t heard from Chapman but I submitted my application I think the day before the deadline and they said they process them in the order received or something like that IIRC, so still hoping for a reply! 

Of the remaining ones, I got a CSUSM interview, got an email from Long Beach that my application was forwarded to the grad committee for final review (after some transcript issues the school helped me through that were resolved about 2 weeks ago), and I got the 600+ applications email from CSUF, but nothing else so getting nervous :) 

Good luck to everyone!! Way to go on your Chapman interview!!

I never got that forwarded on for final review email from CSULB. I just resolved a transcript issue on their end last week or the week before so my status got updated to the verifying my transcripts stage. I wonder if I should check in with them at this point about getting it to the grad committee - getting nervous.

I live in SoCal and I applied to 5 graduate programs, one of them being an out of state hybrid-online program. I would prefer to stay in the state due to the in-state tuition. I originally moved to California from New Jersey for my bachelor's degree. Though I am not opposed to moving out of state my advisors have suggested I finish my degree in California. Now all of my applications have been sent and I am anxiously awaiting admission decisions. 

32 minutes ago, Ali_Irene13 said:

I live in SoCal and I applied to 5 graduate programs, one of them being an out of state hybrid-online program. I would prefer to stay in the state due to the in-state tuition. I originally moved to California from New Jersey for my bachelor's degree. Though I am not opposed to moving out of state my advisors have suggested I finish my degree in California. Now all of my applications have been sent and I am anxiously awaiting admission decisions. 

Can you elaborate why they advised you to do it in state? I’m a California native and am considering an out of state school for my Masters degree 

17 hours ago, slptobe! said:

I had to send in multiple sets of forms to SDSU and one to SJSU! I had to send all of my transcripts all the way back to kindergarten after being told the previous set of forms was not enough to prove it!

That is ridiculous.  I guess the committee needs to classify students as residents or non-residents before making a decision. 

45 minutes ago, SoCali said:

That is ridiculous.  I guess the committee needs to classify students as residents or non-residents before making a decision. 

It was definitely frustrating because I was born in California and grew up there, hadn't lived anywhere else until I went to college. But because I went out of state for undergrad, it changed things in terms of being an obvious resident I suppose.