dress code for visits??

1 hour ago, MaoistTowelette said:

Hannibal_Lecter_in_Silence_of_the_Lambs.jpg.edfcb85977a09641fac938a5c850f612.jpg

I AM HOWLING 

Also, packing jeans and blazers galore for my trip to Dallas.

Still howling...

edut: wait, if I’m interviewing should I wear slacks? Are slacks still a thing in 2019?

Edited by kendalldinniene

1 minute ago, mwils15 said:

@kendalldinniene I’d probably take a pair of slacks just in case. Even if you decide not to wear them, they’d be something good to have on hand. Then again, I’m a notorious over-packer, so maybe don’t trust my judgment ?

Same though!

i was going to wear black jeans but now i'm thinking i should go out and buy a pair of slacks...im not really feeling a dress for the visit.......but i'm not interviewing??

Not interviewing, but considering wearing a black top with a patterned skirt (got a couple on sale from Forever 21: oxblood, a twill/plaid, and a burnt orange) and tights. Maybe with a blazer? What are you guys's thoughts on shoes?

I'm worried I'd be way too overdressed in a dress.

Edited by Anonymouse124

2 hours ago, Anonymouse124 said:

Not interviewing, but considering wearing a black top with a patterned skirt (got a couple on sale from Forever 21: oxblood, a twill/plaid, and a burnt orange) and tights. Maybe with a blazer? What are you guys's thoughts on shoes?

I'm worried I'd be way too overdressed in a dress.

Ooooo this look sounds so cute and polished. I don’t think it’s too dressy. Brb going to to forever 21 rn lol

Edited by kendalldinniene

4 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

Ooooo this look sounds so cute and polished. I don’t think it’s too dressy. Brb going to to forever 21 rn lol

Haha thanks! Forever 21 definitely has decent options! LOFT had a huge sale too, I got some dress pants there for $5 (original price was $60!). Target's Universal Standard line has some cute polished stuff too. What would you guys suggest for shoes? I'm considering loafers, but honestly, am more of a bootie type of person.

1 hour ago, Anonymouse124 said:

Haha thanks! Forever 21 definitely has decent options! LOFT had a huge sale too, I got some dress pants there for $5 (original price was $60!). Target's Universal Standard line has some cute polished stuff too. What would you guys suggest for shoes? I'm considering loafers, but honestly, am more of a bootie type of person.

I feel like booties are polished and cute.  We don't have to look like the traditional professor, I think.  That being said I have a tweed and velvet blazer I'm taking to Dallas that screams caricature of an English prof and I'm going to wear the hell out of it, haha.  Probably paired with booties!

Honestly, no one is going to care about how you dress, so long as you wear more than a hoodie. As others have said, I would opt for business casual, but a slightly elevated casual isn't bad either. For men, slacks, chinos, or non-ratty jeans, paired with a button-down shirt, would be fine.  

Edited by Ramus

• 2 weeks later...

Any suggestions to dress appropriately in feet of snow??? A sweater dress? Where do we stand on boots? Hours away from my first visit lol. Procrastinated, as always. Want to be taken seriously— it’s a program where they haven’t admitted someone without an MA in years. Trying to appear like a grown-up.

17 minutes ago, swarthmawr said:

Any suggestions to dress appropriately in feet of snow??? A sweater dress? Where do we stand on boots? Hours away from my first visit lol. Procrastinated, as always. Want to be taken seriously— it’s a program where they haven’t admitted someone without an MA in years. Trying to appear like a grown-up.

My sense is that booties/boots with a dress is fine! My biggest tip is to still feel like yourself while dressing biz/cas. I had a few interviews right out of undergrad that I felt so awful in what I wore and a friend who said they wouldn’t wear boots to an interview... honestly it doesn’t matter. I wore booties with a skirt and sweater and got the job. All this to say.. don’t overthink it, be comfortable, don’t totally sacrifice your sense of personality, but better to be a touch overdressed than underdressed. 

Edited by rr732

31 minutes ago, swarthmawr said:

Boots are great--I wore slacks and a turtleneck + Docs to my last visit. I was about medium on the scale of well-dressed--we had people in jeans, and people in suits (well, one person). We also had a more formal dinner that we were asked to dress for--so the instructions actually indicated to wear bizcaj. A sweater dress and boots sounds fine. Definitely wear tights!

i talked to my advisor and she said do NOT wear a suit, it will be over-the-top. so now im thinking jeans and a blazer. can't decide if my blundstones would be too casual

4 minutes ago, thismortalcoil said:

omg rip I love a casual suit though! :( was totally planning on wearing it to Penn

i mean, if it's casual and it's what you'd be most comfortable in, i think go for it. just don't be too stiff personality-wise? :) you're admitted anyways

Thanks for your help, @rr732 @spectrum-in! Even though I’m dressed as advised, the hotel they’ve put me up in is uncomfortably fancy, and I feel way too aware of my boots/age/race. I wish I were wearing a power suit just to talk to these front desk dudes...

5 hours ago, swarthmawr said:

Thanks for your help, @rr732 @spectrum-in! Even though I’m dressed as advised, the hotel they’ve put me up in is uncomfortably fancy, and I feel way too aware of my boots/age/race. I wish I were wearing a power suit just to talk to these front desk dudes...

You’re a freaking gem and impressive as hell and you and your boots have nothing to worry about.

1 hour ago, kendalldinniene said:

You’re a freaking gem and impressive as hell and you and your boots have nothing to worry about.

You’re so kind, @kendalldinniene, thank you for lifting my spirits ? YOU’RE the gem, if we’re being real, here. 

Edited by swarthmawr