Jump to content
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Acceptable or desperate?


Recommended Posts

I highly reccommend emailing them a simple thank you. In the workforce it’s a must so I can’t imagine it’s a bad thing in the grad realm. 🙂 Good luck!

Edited by Rezzy S.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would just say something like “thank you for taking the time to meet with me. I enjoyed hearing more about xyz and look forward to hearing more from you soon.” It doesn’t need to be long just a few sentences will work. It’s always good to send a thank you after any kind of interview, it’ll show your continued interest and keep your name fresh in their mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, hopefulSLPtobe said:

Update: I did email my interviewers, and got back a "Thank you for your time and efforts as well" from one of them that night

Did you email them individually? I was interviewed by 2 professors and wasn't sure what to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I emailed all of my interviewers separately with a thank you and said that I enjoyed talking about them with (insert something unique we discussed). I haven't gotten any replies so I am not sure if they've seen my email and didn't reply, or haven't seen it. Either way, I am hoping that I made a good impression. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Laurenf131 said:

I emailed all of my interviewers separately with a thank you and said that I enjoyed talking about them with (insert something unique we discussed). I haven't gotten any replies so I am not sure if they've seen my email and didn't reply, or haven't seen it. Either way, I am hoping that I made a good impression. 

I wouldn't take the lack of reply as a bad sign. Coming from the workforce, I've sent a fair amount of interview thank you's and think only once I received a reply, yet I was offered most of those jobs. I think interviewers just don't want to potentially open a can of words or give the wrong idea by replying.

Edited by Rezzy S.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rezzy S. said:

I wouldn't take the lack of reply as a bad sign. Coming from the workforce, I've sent a fair amount of interview thank you's and think only once I received a reply, yet I was offered most of those jobs. I think interviewers just don't want to potentially open a can of words or give the wrong idea by replying.

One of them just replied and said it was a pleasure to meet me and thanked me for my kind words so I don't think the others not replying yet is anything bad! They can't tell me in an email either way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thanked the 2 faculty members that interviewed me as well as the director who coordinated the interview (it was incredibly organized and informative). I also thanked the two speakers from the information session and a faculty member who I did not interview with but toured her lab and was very impressed ( I did related research in undergrad and recognized how advanced her lab was). I received really kind responses from all of the faculty I emailed and later was accepted into the program! It definitely gets your name out there one last time as well as demonstrates sincere interest in the program! Also, receiving a kind reply really eased my nerves! 

This was one of the emails I sent to my interviewers: 

Dr. X, 

Thank you for taking the time to meet with me Friday to discuss my strong interest in the Masters of Speech and Language Pathology program at X school . I enjoyed learning about the medical focus that makes X a truly unique program and the importance of research that molds students into confident, knowledgeable, and evidence based clinicians. Our conversation further strengthened my passion for being a member of X’s upcoming cohort. It was wonderful to chat about our shared interest in Augmentative and Alternative Communication and I am ecstatic to know that X is a place where that passion will be nurtured. The organization and thoughtfulness of the interview day reinforced my appreciation for X’s program and is a clear indicator of the phenomenal support students in your program receive. 

Thank you again for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

 

definitely don't think all of that is necessary in every thank you but these were my genuine feelings about the program (it was my top pick and a total reach school). Just a few sentences is totally fine too! Just be genuine :)

Edited by S_H19
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I emailed the professors who interviewed me individually with follow up information and questions from my interviews. We have each continued conversations and, I feel, built a bit of a relationship so far. I haven’t gotten a department acceptance yet, but my prospective committee members did put me forward as their candidate in my field. I think it definitely helps and lets them know you are serious and dedicated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ajhistorian said:

I emailed the professors who interviewed me individually with follow up information and questions from my interviews. We have each continued conversations and, I feel, built a bit of a relationship so far. I haven’t gotten a department acceptance yet, but my prospective committee members did put me forward as their candidate in my field. I think it definitely helps and lets them know you are serious and dedicated. 

What did you give for follow up information? I am completing a prerequisite that I previously did not meet the requirement and I wanted to email them to let them know that after completing the first half of the semester I confident I will meet their requirements but I wasn't sure if that was okay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That’s definitely ok! One of them had questions about my language preparation and goals, so I emailed with more of my language background, my goals for this year, and my goals long term. Then I asked a few more questions about language programs at the school and in the city, or partnerships with other schools for an indigenous language not offered. We had a good longer conversation about that one. The others we talked more about where our eresearch interests overlapped, new books that came out in our field this year, and even career mentorship. Emailing let us keep conversations open.

Edited by Ajhistorian
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Ajhistorian said:

That’s definitely ok! One of them had questions about my language preparation and goals, so I emailed with more of my language background, my goals for this year, and my goals long term. Then I asked a few more questions about language programs at the school and in the city, or partnerships with other schools for an indigenous language not offered. We had a good longer conversation about that one. The others we talked more about where our eresearch interests overlapped, new books that came out in our field this year, and even career mentorship. Emailing let us keep conversations open.

thank you!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, hopefulSLPtobe said:

Update: I was accepted to the school that I interviewed with! I'm not sure that emailing the interviewers helped me in any way (I did get a reply from both), but it definitely didn't hurt at all! 

 

Congrats! 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.