PhD Applicants Fall 2019: Accepted Offers

Hello Everyone! 

Now that people are hearing back programs and are starting to make decisions, I figured it would be nice to have a location where people can list what offers they have accepted! It will be nice to see if there are any other future classmates here and see where everyone ends up! This might not get traction until April, but just wanted to make the space now. :D 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2019 at 4:25 PM, PHDapplicantkam said:

Hello,

Thanks for posting! I applied and got waitlisted at Hopkins (health economics and policy track). Does anyone know about Hopkins waitlist statistics for PhD programs? I was unable to find anything. 

Hi! We talked on the other PhD forum... sorry you have been unable to find any information! As you know, I'm waitlisted for a different department, but I spoke with the Academic Program Manager yesterday who was extremely helpful. I'd encourage you to find out who that contact for your department is and start there!

Good luck! Keeping my fingers and toes still crossed for us!

21 minutes ago, apex45 said:

No, I'm not able to, but please let me know how it is! 

Sure thing! Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions about the school and I can try and find out while I'm there. 

19 minutes ago, hopingforahailmary said:

Has anyone made/declined any offers yet, or is it still too early? I know Pitt's admitted student day is next week, but looking at the above posts, I guess there are still a lot more to go than I would have thought!

I've declined my offer to McGill. I'm only deciding between two programs now but hoping to make my final decision next Monday! 

On 3/21/2019 at 9:08 AM, theonewiththePhDapp said:

Anyone going to University of Kentucky's admitted day this weekend?

Congrats on your admission, do you know how good is the Claremont Graduate University DrPh?

Does it compare with the University of Louisville's Ph.D. program?

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:36 PM, Nomadic said:

Congrats on your admission, do you know how good is the Claremont Graduate University DrPh?

Does it compare with the University of Louisville's Ph.D. program?

I do not know too much about the University of Louisville, but I have spoken with CGU professors and admissions staff. They seem really helpful, and the classes seem interesting. It really depends on what you are looking for, especially if you want a DrPH vs a PhD program. Rankings-wise, CGU does not seem to have the highest ranking, and Louisville seems to be better in that respect. The location for CGU is Southern California is great, but it also has a higher cost of living than Louisville. Likewise, the program is fairly expensive too, and funding seems to be a bit more limited. However, it is only a graduate university with no undergraduate students which is nice in the fact that they really focus on their graduate students. Personally, I'm leaning away from attending CGU, mostly from the financial standpoint but am still deciding. 

If you are into rankings, US News just came out with updated ones for public health programs and schools. https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-health-schools/public-health-rankings  

2 hours ago, apex45 said:

Declined my offer to Pitt. Deciding between Michigan and Brown now. I'm hoping I make up my mind by April 15, but it's a really hard decision.

Congrats on narrowing it down! That's definitely a tough choice, but both great options. Are you planning to stay on the waitlist at Minnesota and/or Yale, or are you definitely choosing either Michigan or Brown? No matter what, good luck!

Edited by epi_hopeful19

13 hours ago, epi_hopeful19 said:

Congrats on narrowing it down! That's definitely a tough choice, but both great options. Are you planning to stay on the waitlist at Minnesota and/or Yale, or are you definitely choosing either Michigan or Brown? No matter what, good luck!

Minnesota isn't exactly a waitlist, but even if they admit me with full funding at this point, I'd choose UM or Brown. Getting into Yale would be great, and I do plan to stay on the waitlist until I decide on UM vs. Brown. But I'm not optimistic since I was directly competing with 1-2 others for a T32 and am pretty sure that whoever their first pick was would accept it. The funding/benefits at Yale are amazing but my research interests align better at UM and Brown. 

8 hours ago, apex45 said:

Minnesota isn't exactly a waitlist, but even if they admit me with full funding at this point, I'd choose UM or Brown. Getting into Yale would be great, and I do plan to stay on the waitlist until I decide on UM vs. Brown. But I'm not optimistic since I was directly competing with 1-2 others for a T32 and am pretty sure that whoever their first pick was would accept it. The funding/benefits at Yale are amazing but my research interests align better at UM and Brown. 

I am currently deciding between UM and Brown as well! I have no idea where to go. They are both such good programs.

If anyone is going to JHU's admitted students' day this Friday and wouldn't mind sharing any information after, I know there are several waitlisters (*hi there*) who would greatly appreciate any information on the off chance we get offered a spot. I believe it's Bloomberg school-wide, so any tidbits would be great please! Thank you in advance!! 

And congratulations to everyone accepting offers!