Jump to content

Who hasn't gotten accepted yet?


Recommended Posts

Hey y'all, anyone feel like they won't get accepted anywhere this cycle?

For me this cycle has been 3 rejections, one unfunded offer (which I can't take, am broke AF), and two waitlists. 

A very small part of me is still holding out hope that those waitlists will turn into something, but I am moving forward and have an interview with a great job next week and have already began preparing for next cycle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2019 at 4:58 AM, Dwar said:

Hey y'all, anyone feel like they won't get accepted anywhere this cycle?

For me this cycle has been 3 rejections, one unfunded offer (which I can't take, am broke AF), and two waitlists. 

A very small part of me is still holding out hope that those waitlists will turn into something, but I am moving forward and have an interview with a great job next week and have already began preparing for next cycle. 

I am on the same boat as you. So far, received 10 rejections and 4 waitlists. Praying to receive any good news from these waitlists!!

Edited by Izakawa
Link to post
Share on other sites

Three rejections and five I haven't heard back from yet. The rejections have put me in a bad mood and make me feel like it's hopeless, but I know I shouldn't call it until the official e-mail. My job is pressuring me to tell them whether or not I will be staying, so I'm getting stress on both fronts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Izakawa said:

I am on the same boat as you. So far, received 10 rejections and 4 waitlists. Praying to receive any good news from these waitlists!!

Can totally relate. And I hope you hear good news from the waitlists soon!

honestly the most difficult part for me is not bombarding the DGS with emails asking for updates. I found out that one program should have their AdCom meeting again either before or on the 15th, so hopefully i'll hear from them this week. I also found out that the visit day for the other program is late march, so I guess I'll wait until after the visit day to shoot the DGS an email again asking for any updates. 

Honestly this is probably worse then the initial waiting, I just want an answer already! 

1 hour ago, Kishikaisei said:

Three rejections and five I haven't heard back from yet. The rejections have put me in a bad mood and make me feel like it's hopeless, but I know I shouldn't call it until the official e-mail. My job is pressuring me to tell them whether or not I will be staying, so I'm getting stress on both fronts.

I get that, I am actually moving forward with a job interview this week, its really cool and honestly I would probably love the experience. But I'm not sure what to do if they make an offer and demand an answer before the waitlists respond. 

Have you reached out to the programs you still haven't hear from? I have found that often times reaching out to either the Grad cordnator or the DGS has led to more information, not much, but more than nothing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mntfr said:

5 rejections 1 waitlist no pending, I am stressing out way more than before any of the rejections

Can totally relate. The stress now while sitting on the waitlists is so much bigger than earlier in the cycle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2019 at 9:51 PM, Dwar said:

I get that, I am actually moving forward with a job interview this week, its really cool and honestly I would probably love the experience. But I'm not sure what to do if they make an offer and demand an answer before the waitlists respond. 

Have you reached out to the programs you still haven't hear from? I have found that often times reaching out to either the Grad cordnator or the DGS has led to more information, not much, but more than nothing. 

I did for three and those were the ones that resulted in rejections, so now I'm kind of scared. But I might need to soon just because I need to start looking for alternatives if this year doesn't work out. This waiting is so stressful, I stubbed my toe earlier today and cried for a full hour because even the furniture is against me now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kishikaisei said:

I did for three and those were the ones that resulted in rejections, so now I'm kind of scared. But I might need to soon just because I need to start looking for alternatives if this year doesn't work out. This waiting is so stressful, I stubbed my toe earlier today and cried for a full hour because even the furniture is against me now.

oh man, im really sorry about that. I can totally relate to the emotions bubbling over at weird times thing. I hope you hear back positive things from the other programs that you are waiting on!

and I would totally suggest you start to look for things to do incase you don't get in this year. The jobs that I am looking at are just year long things, so it would work out for reapplying, maybe look into stuff like that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Kishikaisei said:

I did for three and those were the ones that resulted in rejections, so now I'm kind of scared. But I might need to soon just because I need to start looking for alternatives if this year doesn't work out. This waiting is so stressful, I stubbed my toe earlier today and cried for a full hour because even the furniture is against me now.

At this point in the application cycle, you absolutely need to assume you're rejected from all programs and start applying to different jobs.  Don't hang around waiting for miracle, last-minute acceptances.  I fell into that trap, once, and was unemployed for 7 months.  It's difficult to accept defeat, but we should always assume defeat and plan for it.  If I'm good at anything, it's having a realistic understanding of rejection. xD 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Hopeful and Not said:

12 Rejections, 1 Waitlisted, and 1 Pending (IR). I'm trying my best to convince myself that I am a shutout and need to move on. But I'm here typing this out, refreshing my inbox and the results page every hour or so xD.

can relate 100%

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 12:11 AM, Ternwild said:

At this point in the application cycle, you absolutely need to assume you're rejected from all programs and start applying to different jobs.  Don't hang around waiting for miracle, last-minute acceptances.  I fell into that trap, once, and was unemployed for 7 months.  It's difficult to accept defeat, but we should always assume defeat and plan for it.  If I'm good at anything, it's having a realistic understanding of rejection. xD 

Oof. Yeah. I got two fresh rejections in my inbox this morning. I have a job, so I wont be unemployed, but it is not in the field I want to be in. Not even close. I have been applying for other things, but it doesn't look like those are going too well either. 2019, starting off with a swift kick to the shins.

On the bright side, the only schools remaining are my top choices and it doesn't look like they've released results yet. One of the schools I have a personal connection who recommended me to the committee, so I guess I'll have to see how much that matters to them. If I don't get accepted even with that backing, I guess I'll just become a Buddhist monk.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kishikaisei said:

On the bright side, the only schools remaining are my top choices and it doesn't look like they've released results yet. One of the schools I have a personal connection who recommended me to the committee, so I guess I'll have to see how much that matters to them. If I don't get accepted even with that backing, I guess I'll just become a Buddhist monk.

 

Wait, were you recommended for admissions by the department? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 Rejections, 2 accepted but waitlisted for funding, 1 waitlist for admission with funding, and waiting on 2 to get back to me. Feel like I still have a good chance of getting in somewhere with funding but man am I feeling the stress

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Dwar said:

Wait, were you recommended for admissions by the department? 

I was recommended for admission by a professor within the department who I've worked with recently, but I don't think his recommendation is the department decision and I have yet to hear any decision from admissions. He mentioned me to the head and said he wanted to take me, but I have no idea how much they take professor's preferences into account. There were some hiccups in my application due to miscommunication and that makes me uneasy (my references submitted late because I applied to two programs at the same school and they thought the second e-mail was a duplicate).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kishikaisei said:

I was recommended for admission by a professor within the department who I've worked with recently, but I don't think his recommendation is the department decision and I have yet to hear any decision from admissions. He mentioned me to the head and said he wanted to take me, but I have no idea how much they take professor's preferences into account. There were some hiccups in my application due to miscommunication and that makes me uneasy (my references submitted late because I applied to two programs at the same school and they thought the second e-mail was a duplicate).

Gotcha, my bad. I thought you meant that the department had recommended you for admissions to the grad school. In most cases that means that you are about to get accepted and serves as a sort of unofficial acceptance. 

On another note, I am sure that its good news to get recommended by a professor at the school! It sure sounds like you are in the running, I hope you hear good news soon! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.