CBU students - I need your help!!! Speech-Language Pathology

I have a couple questions about Cal Baptist's program so if you're a CBU grad or undergrad maybe you can help me out.

1. I'm a Christian, but I'm not Baptist or conservative. I have friends who are and I'm totally fine with other points of view, but I'm just wondering how rigid the worldview is in the SLP program. For example, what would a class discussion on transgender voice adjustment therapy look like? Did you find there were/are a diversity of viewpoints present and welcomed among your classmates?

2. I know the program is really new. How well do you feel your program has prepared you? Are you happy with your practicum experiences? Are there any weaknesses that have stood out to you?

3. I don't want to be a total downer - what are some positives?!

Thank you ?

Do Christian-based programs want to know about your faith? Would a person who is agnostic/atheist looked down upon or would they just be "in the closet" so to speak. I apologize if this is an ignorant question but I've always wondered. 

1 hour ago, KEIM said:

Do Christian-based programs want to know about your faith? Would a person who is agnostic/atheist looked down upon or would they just be "in the closet" so to speak. I apologize if this is an ignorant question but I've always wondered. 

I think it probably depends on the school, but I can't really find much info on the program on here. 

5 hours ago, KEIM said:

Yes, they do want to know how you identify. No, they do not look down upon atheist/agnostic applicants. 

When I interviewed for CBU, I disclosed that I consider myself Jewish. I also made a little joke that I am a Mexican Jew (rare, I know) and they laughed and thought it was amazing that I applied. I got waitlisted, but it had nothing to do with my "religion". 

Biola was a different story. There was a section on their application that I did not agree with. It was something along the lines of me believing Jesus is G-d (I dont remember); although I dont practice Judaism I have my beliefs. When I called regarding this portion of the application, I recieved a voicemail from a man stating that I would have to agree to the statement because the school does. This gave me a bad feeling and was not comfortable with this University. Now, that was my experience with this school not necessarily everyone's. 

1 minute ago, Emehteg1 said:

Yes, they do want to know how you identify. No, they do not look down upon atheist/agnostic applicants. 

When I interviewed for CBU, I disclosed that I consider myself Jewish. I also made a little joke that I am a Mexican Jew (rare, I know) and they laughed and thought it was amazing that I applied. I got waitlisted, but it had nothing to do with my "religion". 

Biola was a different story. There was a section on their application that I did not agree with. It was something along the lines of me believing Jesus is G-d (I dont remember); although I dont practice Judaism I have my beliefs. When I called regarding this portion of the application, I recieved a voicemail from a man stating that I would have to agree to the statement because the school does. This gave me a bad feeling and was not comfortable with this University. Now, that was my experience with this school not necessarily everyone's. 

Thanks for talking about your experiences. Biola is only 5 minutes away from me but there's no way I would feel comfortable applying to a school that would force me to say "Jesus is G-d". Which is unfortunate since it's so close to me and I grew up in the area my entire life. 

6 hours ago, KEIM said:

California Baptist University made it a point that while the faculty is Christian, students were not required to be. (although undergrads have to attend chapel)

Biola did want to know your faith, asking questions about Christian doctrine in an essay format and requiring you to agree a statement of faith that a nonchristian wouldn't agree to before completing an application. (Emehteg1's case). They also include phrases such as "Students will be taught from a Christian worldview in order to promote the fullest understanding of humankind and the world." So you have an idea of what you're applying to.

If you were agnostic/atheist, you probably wouldn't be accepted to Biola. (Because of the conflicting viewpoints, and the fact you need  Pastoral recommendation as well)

Edited by hiimkhanh

I do not know specifics about the CDS/ Speech Path program at CBU, but I have had friends who attended their as an undergraduate and I know it is skewed across the board. I have been told that the baptist is like their middle name, and you do not go by your middle name. So not everyone there is christian and some people are super religious. (Not sure that helps, but that is my insight.) Good Luck to all.

14 hours ago, Emehteg1 said:

I'm sorry that happened to you! ? Biola came off really dogmatic to me which is why I didn't apply there, but I guess it's good they're upfront about it.

Edited by Rezzy S.

On 3/20/2019 at 10:38 AM, lasmith said:

I do not know specifics about the CDS/ Speech Path program at CBU, but I have had friends who attended their as an undergraduate and I know it is skewed across the board. I have been told that the baptist is like their middle name, and you do not go by your middle name. So not everyone there is christian and some people are super religious. (Not sure that helps, but that is my insight.) Good Luck to all.

Thanks! That's helpful