Anyone not hear back yet?

taharah

Anyone still waiting to hear back from programs?

I interviewed with 3 places in January, and I've only heard back from one.

I feel like it's unusual to send out acceptances to PhD programs in late March/April. I havent even been officially told I'm waitlisted yet either.

Ahhhhh freak out with me

16 hours ago, taharah said:

I feel like it's unusual to send out acceptances to PhD programs in late March/April.

Time to accept you're rejected.  But if you're truly concerned, feel free to email the department.  But you have a 98% (guessed) chance of rejection.  Apply to jobs.

I'm currently waiting to hear back from Teachers College, Columbia University in regards to their EdM Psychological Counseling program (and this is the very last school I'm waiting to hear back from). I emailed them a few days ago and told me that students should hear back by around the end of March at the latest. I really want to make my decision pretty soon before April 15th.

1 hour ago, Lauren210 said:

I'm currently waiting to hear back from Teachers College, Columbia University in regards to their EdM Psychological Counseling program (and this is the very last school I'm waiting to hear back from). I emailed them a few days ago and told me that students should hear back by around the end of March at the latest. I really want to make my decision pretty soon before April 15th.

It's hard to make decisions without all the offers on the table ?

2 hours ago, taharah said:

It's hard to make decisions without all the offers on the table ?

That's life.  Sometimes you just have to make blind decisions and hope for the best.

2 hours ago, viiciouscircle said:

I have not yet heard back from 3 of the schools I applied for, but have quietly accepted defeat ?

I just wish they could send out the rejection letters sooner so we aren't left hanging!

Same situation, almost. One of them the deadline hasn't even passed yet so I obviously can't say anything with any degree of certainty. BUT, I have a bad feeling since I emailed the professor who has the strongest connection with my research interests and he isn't taking new students. That said, that might not be a deal-breaker since the format of the program is slightly non-traditional (PhD and research, but more focus on training for students who are interested in working in the industry instead of academia). However, after all this rejection I'm not left with a lot of confidence and it's feeling like it might be a bust this year.

Unrelated, but I see you are from Taiwan. I just got back from Taiwan on Sunday, and I loved it! 11/10.

12 hours ago, pene-lope said:

I am personally waiting on a Canadian uni (UBC IRES PhD), is there any hope?

Base on your question, you are not the 1% choice for MS or PhD. Me Neither.

Here's the historical result for UfT.

2018:https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=toronto+computer&t=a&o=&p=5

2017: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=toronto+computer&t=a&o=&p=12

Here for UBC.

2018: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=British+Columbia+computer&t=a&o=&p=4

2017: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=British+Columbia+computer&t=a&o=&p=9

Here for UWaterloo:

2018: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=Waterloo+computer&t=a&o=&p=4

2017: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=Waterloo+computer&t=a&o=&p=8

By the looks of the data, it seems to be the case, decisions will be out sometime next month. Things will finalize before the summer(June). It's like getting the result from the doctor, if you have cancer, they will tell you have it. In the meanwhile, get your decision matrix/tree ready and rank your options. Get your affairs prepared. Remember to contribute to the data-set once you received your decisions!

Hit the gym and lawyer up!

Edited by ultraSquirrel

On 3/25/2019 at 11:19 PM, Ternwild said:

Time to accept you're rejected.  But if you're truly concerned, feel free to email the department.  But you have a 98% (guessed) chance of rejection.  Apply to jobs.

I am currently waitlisted at three schools-one for the interview and two post interviews. Do you guys think it is time to give up and admit my rejection?

I had an interview a month ago, I've emailed the POI and the director of graduate admissions and have heard nothing. Based on what they told us during the interview I'm on the waitlist but It would be nice for some confirmation. Also the fact that my future rests on another applicant is driving me insane. :( How does anyone make it through this process without losing it?

2 hours ago, vallaboop said:

I had an interview a month ago, I've emailed the POI and the director of graduate admissions and have heard nothing. Based on what they told us during the interview I'm on the waitlist but It would be nice for some confirmation. Also the fact that my future rests on another applicant is driving me insane. :( How does anyone make it through this process without losing it?

@Ternwild, probably have a thing or two about this topic. Haha

On 3/27/2019 at 10:34 AM, vallaboop said:

It's true.  I know quite a bit about this topic.  Basically, you need to assume you're rejected.  This way you aren't sitting around waiting/hoping for some magical acceptance to come in.  What you need to be doing is researching jobs in your field and start applying, now.  Start planning for if you don't get into your school.  Though being accepted off the waitlist is entirely possible, you're likely not going to; the odds are not in your favour.  So, plan accordingly and stop worrying about it.  If you get in, great.  But you need to accept that you aren't and start on that job hunt.  Don't waste time.  Any wasted time is more time spent unemployed.

On 3/26/2019 at 9:51 PM, Izakawa said:

I am currently waitlisted at three schools-one for the interview and two post interviews. Do you guys think it is time to give up and admit my rejection?

Yes.  Sadly, at this point, if you did hear anything, it wouldn't be until after Apr 15th.  Start planning on what you'll be doing until your next applications this December. 

13 hours ago, Ternwild said:

It's true.  I know quite a bit about this topic.  Basically, you need to assume you're rejected.  This way you aren't sitting around waiting/hoping for some magical acceptance to come in.  What you need to be doing is researching jobs in your field and start applying, now.  Start planning for if you don't get into your school.  Though being accepted off the waitlist is entirely possible, you're likely not going to; the odds are not in your favour.  So, plan accordingly and stop worrying about it.  If you get in, great.  But you need to accept that you aren't and start on that job hunt.  Don't waste time.  Any wasted time is more time spent unemployed.

I truly appreciate your honesty and not trying to sugar coat anything.  Fortunately I've been out of school for a bit so I already have a job in my field that would love for me to stay. I guess I'm more likely wasting time on not starting to improve myself for next round. It is just really upsetting because this program is such a perfect fit. Would it be inappropriate to reach out to the POI and ask what I could do to improve my chances next application cycle?

8 hours ago, vallaboop said:

It is just really upsetting because this program is such a perfect fit.

Just because you feel the program was a perfect fit for you, doesn't mean the program feels you're a perfect fit for them. 

That said, consider looking into working in a job that will look better on your application, next time around.  Such as moving from administrative work to research or something along those lines.  It is not entirely inappropriate to ask what you can do better, next time, but I suggest asking closer to the summer after all the applications have gone through.  For now, work on making your work experience more relevant (even if that means learning how to sell what you currently do, better) and increase your GRE scores.  Unless you're at 170/170/6, your scores can always be better. 

Also, consider speaking to people within your industry (including future prospective POIs for F20) on what sort of things they would look for in applicants and what makes you more competitive in your field. 

I am in a somewhat weird situation? I had a round of interviews last Friday and reached out to professors to thank them and echo my interest in joining their groups. A week has passed and only one professor responded to me to tell me that he gave the spot to someone else and the other two did not respond at all.. I also had another round of interviews in mid/late Feb and had not heard from the department in over a month following them. I emailed the academic coordinator and she responded that faculty are still making decisions??? I had heard from other people that also attended that they received offers so that kinda stung. At this point, I've already mentally settled on another school but am holding out until April 15th with hopes of hearing back... In both of these cases, I also have not been told I am on the waitlist..

Does the fact that professors don't respond to post-interview emails means they considered you but not as first choice? I legit have not been able to sleep for the past two months now because I just wake up in the middle of the night hoping to have received a golden ticket... I mean I have a backup plan but these two options would be great :(

Edited by TITX

3 hours ago, Ternwild said:

Just because you feel the program was a perfect fit for you, doesn't mean the program feels you're a perfect fit for them. 

That said, consider looking into working in a job that will look better on your application, next time around.  Such as moving from administrative work to research or something along those lines.  It is not entirely inappropriate to ask what you can do better, next time, but I suggest asking closer to the summer after all the applications have gone through.  For now, work on making your work experience more relevant (even if that means learning how to sell what you currently do, better) and increase your GRE scores.  Unless you're at 170/170/6, your scores can always be better. 

Also, consider speaking to people within your industry (including future prospective POIs for F20) on what sort of things they would look for in applicants and what makes you more competitive in your field. 

I'm a research assistant, I have my master's and I'm an adjunct professor. I feel so down on myself that with all that I'm still struggling to get into a PhD program. I will reach out and ask what I can do to make myself a more ideal candidate this summer. Thanks again for your advice, I just hope it's not me personally

Could the delay in some admissions decisions be due in part to some kind of lag in funding from the NSF due to the government shutdown in Dec/Jan? Like are they waiting to secure funding before they send out the final round of admits and rejects? Just speculating... this wait is entirely exhausting and anxiety inducing...