Commuting..how far is too far?

Okay, so I got into a program that I'd really like to attend. The school is about an hour to an hour and 10 mins away. I have no clue if I'll need to go to campus every day M-F. But I do know that their clinical placements are off-campus and they will usually be 3x a week and the summer will be 5x a week but ill be taking fewer classes. So, let's say I have to drive an hour to an hour and mins only 2-3 days a week and my clinical placements are less than that...is that crazy? I would prefer to stay home not only to save money but for other personal reasons. 

What do you guys think? 

1. Ultimately it comes down to your priorities and what you are comfortable with. I know multiple girls in my program that commute 45min to an hour away. Would I want to do this? No, but they've made it work! I personally live 5 min away from my program and love how easy my commute is lol. Just think through the amount of gas you would spend and also stamina driving an hour there and back each possible day. 

If you're comfortable driving that much, I would save the money by living at home (especially if you only have to drive far a few days a week!). I'm about to take on an hour commute also and for me the money spent on transport doesn't even compare to the money saved by living at home. Even though I'm bummed about relinquishing some independence by moving back home, it will be nice to have my parents there so if I'm so stressed or busy they can help me out with chores that I would normally be 100% responsible for (like preparing dinner) and provide some emotional support. The thought of moving in with people from my program sounds nice but then again that's a whole other relationship dynamic I have to navigate (we all know how complicated roommate situations can be), and I'd need furniture and kitchen stuff, which can really add up $$ wise. I definitely think driving an 1:10 to campus 3 times a week is reasonable! Plus, that's a normal commute for a lot of working professionals who live in suburban areas and work in the city. I'm not sure where you live but it could prepare you for your future work commute!

47 minutes ago, cakcak said:

If you're comfortable driving that much, I would save the money by living at home (especially if you only have to drive far a few days a week!). I'm about to take on an hour commute also and for me the money spent on transport doesn't even compare to the money saved by living at home. Even though I'm bummed about relinquishing some independence by moving back home, it will be nice to have my parents there so if I'm so stressed or busy they can help me out with chores that I would normally be 100% responsible for (like preparing dinner) and provide some emotional support. The thought of moving in with people from my program sounds nice but then again that's a whole other relationship dynamic I have to navigate (we all know how complicated roommate situations can be), and I'd need furniture and kitchen stuff, which can really add up $$ wise. I definitely think driving an 1:10 to campus 3 times a week is reasonable! Plus, that's a normal commute for a lot of working professionals who live in suburban areas and work in the city. I'm not sure where you live but it could prepare you for your future work commute!

Thank you for your input! So nice to know someone else is also doing the same. So, I'm unsure as to whether I'll be going 3x a week or 5. Let's say it's 5 (I also live where it snows, ugh) would that be crazy? 

7 hours ago, TeamNoSleep said:

Thank you for your input! So nice to know someone else is also doing the same. So, I'm unsure as to whether I'll be going 3x a week or 5. Let's say it's 5 (I also live where it snows, ugh) would that be crazy? 

When I was in grad school, we had a couple of people who commuted that far. I know a few times, they slept on others sofas if it was a late night or bad weather. I was happy to help out?

8 hours ago, TeamNoSleep said:

I end up going to campus even when I don't have class or clinic to do work, have meetings, or work on group projects, so 5 days a week is more plausible than 3. I personally wouldn't want to drive an hour in a snow storm since it becomes more like 2 hours, but I think for 2 years it will kind of suck but be doable, and you would still probably save money in the long run. Just make sure your car is in good shape, since you'll probably end up putting on 30000+ miles a year.

I'm staying at my undergraduate university and my commute can easily be over an hour, and I've been doing 5 days a week most semesters between classes and my campus job. I think the benefits outweigh the crappiness of the commute, and you'll find a way to make it more bearable. Listening to podcasts makes the drive go by a lot faster!

14 hours ago, TeamNoSleep said:

Okay, so I got into a program that I'd really like to attend. The school is about an hour to an hour and 10 mins away. I have no clue if I'll need to go to campus every day M-F. But I do know that their clinical placements are off-campus and they will usually be 3x a week and the summer will be 5x a week but ill be taking fewer classes. So, let's say I have to drive an hour to an hour and mins only 2-3 days a week and my clinical placements are less than that...is that crazy? I would prefer to stay home not only to save money but for other personal reasons. 

What do you guys think? 

Like everyone else is saying, it really depends if you feel it is worth it. For example, I accepted a placement for my undergraduate program last year. It was a few towns away, an hour drive there, an hour drive back. I didn't mind, because it was working in a field I wanted, and I was being offered placements I didn't like in my city that I knew wouldn't benefit me. If you are passionate and love the program, it won't be an insufferable experience. Despite the combined two hour commute, I still went to classes in my city, and I still worked full time in my city. Yes, I was very tired and emotionally drained, but it was exceptionally rewarding!

13 hours ago, cakcak said:

^^^