Unprofessional to call schools about decisions?

9 minutes ago, speech97 said:

Is it bad to call schools and ask them if they have made a decision yet? Or send an email? Is that unprofessional?

I emailed schools I was fairly certain I would be receiving rejections from, because the stakes were low. They had already sent out acceptances and I wasn't invited to interview - just wanted closure. However, for schools I knew I still had a shot at I didn't do it. Didn't want to risk it. 

29 minutes ago, Rezzy S. said:

I emailed schools I was fairly certain I would be receiving rejections from, because the stakes were low. They had already sent out acceptances and I wasn't invited to interview - just wanted closure. However, for schools I knew I still had a shot at I didn't do it. Didn't want to risk it. 

I am not sure what to do. Seems reasonable with April 15th coming up- but also I do not want to hurt myself by doing so. It's just frustrating! 

13 minutes ago, speech97 said:

I am not sure what to do. Seems reasonable with April 15th coming up- but also I do not want to hurt myself by doing so. It's just frustrating! 

I think you're smart to wait it out a little longer ?

@hiimkhanh Confused by the downvote. Did I say something wrong? lol.

Just now, psizemore said:

people are sensitive around these parts, lol.

Good point. It's a tense time for everyone and I'm afraid this site is sometimes as unhelpful as it is helpful in fanning those flames. A genuine good luck to everybody, including you @hiimkhanh - sounds like you have some good grad school options. :)

18 minutes ago, Rezzy S. said:

Good point. It's a tense time for everyone and I'm afraid this site is sometimes as unhelpful as it is helpful in fanning those flames. A genuine good luck to everybody, including you @hiimkhanh - sounds like you have some good grad school options. :)

Good luck to you too! Hopefully nothing but good news going forward! :)

Personally I think you risk annoying the Department if you call and call frequently but it's ultimately up to you. I personally didn't want to risk it and waited for decisions. You'll probably hear more after the April 15th deadline. 

On 4/6/2019 at 12:11 PM, speechie510 said:

I don’t think it’s unprofessional. I’ve heard people who actually were accepted and the schools forgot to notify them so it’s always good to be safe than sorry! 

On 4/5/2019 at 10:12 PM, sarah189 said:

I have emailed schools about when I would hear back from them, and I have been accepted to those schools. So, I don't think it really affects it. 

I think I might notify them the day before the 15th deadline. Thanks guys!