living alone in grad school?

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has lived alone or considered living alone for grad school. What was/is it like and do you wish you had not lived alone? What do you think is a good living arrangement for the first year, multiple roommates? Just one? Alone? Any responses are greatly appreciated! :) 

You know yourself and your study habits.

Personally, I’m the kind of person who likes to study at home with no distractions. To me, a roommate is a potential distraction and is not worth the money saved from splitting costs. Unless your roommate is a friend.

I would say live alone. After classes you’ll just want to go straight home and potentially not want to see anyone else. (At least for me.)

(And I’ve heard plenty of roommate horror stories.)

Ideally most of us would want our own private apartment, but look into 4x4 style dorms/apartments that are usually available at all universities. You get your private space (bathroom and room) but it is more affordable than taking on your own apartment lease. As for studying, I wouldn't be concerned... you can study in your room/library on campus. Also just because your have roommates or share main area with people does not mean you have to talk to them every day. In the grand scheme of it all sharing space is a small sacrifice to pay while earning your degree. And if you are in some crazy roommate situation there is usually a way to handle that(ask to be moved, schools are equipped to handle these situations).

I live with my long-term partner. I love him, of course, but I do kind of fantasize about how wonderful it would be to live alone! It can definitely be hard to get reading done when the TV is on or if he's being talkative. I'm also a loner at heart and am pretty much never lonely or bored when I'm by myself.

However, although I've had bad experiences with roommates in the past, some girls in my cohort live together and it's worked out really well for them. If you find someone who's also a grad student (aka someone who respects study time and quiet!) that you're compatible with it can be beneficial. If you live with someone else, DEFINITELY come up with a list of house rules that you can both agree on. There may still be drama regardless. I think it's just kind of a crap shoot!

Personally I live by myself and I think it's so worth it! Yes I pay more in rent living alone but I don't have to worry about arranging cleaning schedules and personally after class I like to come home and unwind, but that's also the introvert in me talking. Studying is nice too because I can do so without an distractions.