HELP! I need your advice to decide between schools!

So I was admitted to University of Illinois Urbana Champaign (UIUC) and that was my only admission so my decision was made for me based on circumstances; however, from the 3 schools, I was waitlisted for I have been admitted to my undergrad institution.  I just heard back yesterday and I have a tough choice to make in such little time with the deadline coming up.

Coming From

Undergrad at California State University, Chico but I am originally from Southern California.

Deciding between...

CSU, Chico (undergrad institution) and UIUC

Factors I am keeping in mind

• I would have to pay out-of-state tuition for UIUC. CSU, Chico is substantially cheaper (I am getting only loans for both programs).
  • I may potentially get an assistantship for a tuition waiver and stipend for UIUC; however, this is not guaranteed.
  • I have already met with students and faculty as well as seeing the clinic at UIUC and I do like the program more than I do CSU, Chico.
  • I am in a long-term 5-year relationship and my partner will still be attending CSU, Chico.
  • I love the atmosphere of UIUC and CSU, Chico seems to be much more competitive in nature.
  • Not having to go through the hassle of moving to a different state is convenient.

Hi, I am in a similar situation. My boyfriend and I are in a long-term relationship, 3 years in June. He followed me up to Nevada and I got into UNR, my undergrad institution. He's made it clear that he would not move with me to grad school, which frustrates me greatly. But he is also trying to save up money and hopefully get a degree. I am apart of a sorority on campus and have a close relationship with our LDC. She is employed by our sorority to helps us as we are newer on campus. She is in a relationship and because she lives in Reno and is from the east coast, it is currently long distance. She said moving away from her family and boyfriend has caused major growth. Explained to me if you are in a strong relationship, moving away for a set period of time, is not that bad. I know it's a hard decision to make, but it's not the worst thing and should not take priority in making a choice. You should choose what's best for you and for your career. In the long run it's your future and your career. And maybe it's best to stay close to him and where you are. I hope this helps and it's just my personal view on it, coming from a similar situation. (Also I may have a different view because I am a young one. I am only 21 and still have alot of life to live.)

My other piece of advice is talk to your friends, sometimes they can help you see more clearly. They can help you make an educated pro's con's list and help you look at it from different perspectives. 

I hope this helps. I wish you the best of luck in making a decision, I know its hard. Keep us updated on what you chose. :) 

Edited by lasmith

Sounds like a tough decision! Did you feel like you got a “college experience” in undergrad? I did, which helped me choose the more ‘“practical” option for grad school (deciding between a state school and private university/ going out of state). In the long run, I will be happier with less debt going to a cheaper school, especially since I’ve already been away and experienced college life. 

Also, you are probably familiar with Chico since you did your undergrad there which would alleviate the stress of moving out of state and having to start over. Not to mention your relationship is based there (though long distance is not impossible- I did it for four years) I would choose Chico if I were you! Good luck and congrats on whatever you decide :) 

I feel for both of you. I think @lasmith is right that you have to choose what’s right for you. For some, the best career choice is with their partner. It really just depends on your relationship. For me and my husband, we couldn’t have gone back to school if not for the flexibility and financial support we provided each other. Even when finances weren’t perfectly aligning to go back to school, he didn’t let me chicken out. As I’ve considered schools, him and his career have been a huge factor for me (despite his willingness to uproot and move halfway across the country if that’s what I needed) because we’re a team - an effective one :) 

You know your relationship and your goals. Make the decision you won’t regret (I know, easier said than done). 

Sidenote, I’m a big fan of CSU’s and their low tuition. That’s definitely been a decisive factor for me personally.

Good luck! 

48 minutes ago, lasmith said:

Hi, I am in a similar situation. My boyfriend and I are in a long-term relationship, 3 years in June. He followed me up to Nevada and I got into UNR, my undergrad institution. He's made it clear that he would not move with me to grad school, which frustrates me greatly. But he is also trying to save up money and hopefully get a degree. I am apart of a sorority on campus and have a close relationship with our LDC. She is employed by our sorority to helps us as we are newer on campus. She is in a relationship and because she lives in Reno and is from the east coast, it is currently long distance. She said moving away from her family and boyfriend has caused major growth. Explained to me if you are in a strong relationship, moving away for a set period of time, is not that bad. I know it's a hard decision to make, but it's not the worst thing and should not take priority in making a choice. You should choose what's best for you and for your career. In the long run it's your future and your career. I hope this helps and it's just my personal view on it, coming from a similar situation.

My other piece of advice is talk to your friends, sometimes they can help you see more clearly. They can help you make an educated pro's con's list and help you look at it from different perspectives. 

I hope this helps. I wish you the best of luck in making a decision, I know its hard. Keep us updated on what you chose. :) 

Hi @lasmith thank you so much for sharing this! I think being so far apart would be something very difficult for both of us, however, my partner is very supportive of me and I am very lucky in that sense.  Taking everything into account including your and your friend's advice I think I am leaning to attending UIUC. I am hesitant,  but you are right I need to do what will encourage my own growth and maybe in the process, this will make our relationship blossom even more. I thank you very much for your advice and I wish you the best as well. I am sure you will thrive and succeed wherever you decide to attend!  ??

1 hour ago, aaaslp said:

Sounds like a tough decision! Did you feel like you got a “college experience” in undergrad? I did, which helped me choose the more ‘“practical” option for grad school (deciding between a state school and private university/ going out of state). In the long run, I will be happier with less debt going to a cheaper school, especially since I’ve already been away and experienced college life. 

Also, you are probably familiar with Chico since you did your undergrad there which would alleviate the stress of moving out of state and having to start over. Not to mention your relationship is based there (though long distance is not impossible- I did it for four years) I would choose Chico if I were you! Good luck and congrats on whatever you decide :) 

@aaaslp It really is tough and it makes me question my every move. I love my undergrad experience and I love the town that has such a great community aspect to it. It is something I truly value. I think what makes me question whether it is a good choice is that I do not want convenience and cost to be the major contributing factors though they are huge aspects I am keeping in mind. Thank you for your time and advice, I am keeping it in mind. I am also meeting with a current grad student here so that I have a more representative picture of the program this may be a major deciding factor of whether I choose to stay or not. I send you lots of well wishes and hope all goes smoothly for you! ?

20 minutes ago, Rezzy S. said:

I feel for both of you. I think @lasmith is right that you have to choose what’s right for you. For some, the best career choice is with their partner. It really just depends on your relationship. For me and my husband, we couldn’t have gone back to school if not for the flexibility and financial support we provided each other. Even when finances weren’t perfectly aligning to go back to school, he didn’t let me chicken out. As I’ve considered schools, him and his career have been a huge factor for me (despite his willingness to uproot and move halfway across the country if that’s what I needed) because we’re a team - an effective one :) 

You know your relationship and your goals. Make the decision you won’t regret (I know, easier said than done). 

Sidenote, I’m a big fan of CSU’s and their low tuition. That’s definitely been a decisive factor for me personally.

Good luck! 

Thanks for sharing @Rezzy S. ! It makes me very happy to hear that you have a very supportive partner. It alleviates much of the stress and makes it that much more attainable to reach both of your goals. Best of luck to you as well! ❣️

I did my undergrad at UIUC and also was accepted here! Personally, I hate the weather here and wish I could move to California! I've heard schools there are extremely competitive! With the cheaper cost, the weather, and the support system you already have there I think I would stay there if I were you!! UIUC does have a great program but it's really hard to get assistantships in the department! 

I did my undergrad at University of Illinois for SLP. Though I loved the campus, I was not a fan of the faculty and the environment of their SLP program. As someone who went through the program, I believe it is fair to say that UIUC is not very student focused. Instead, the University of Illinois is much more research focused. I was meeting with a TA when she told me she wished she didn't attend University of Illinois. As a Junior in the program, I was confused as to why since it was the only SLP program I had ever known and I was a transfer. Soon enough, about 3 other TA's came in talking about how they regret their decision because of lack of support from teachers and funding. It was really sad to hear.

I am by no means against University of Illinois, I loved the campus and the people I met, but as I was going to Open Houses for other schools, I began to understand what the Tis in the SLP program were talking about. There are many other programs that are more client centered, and less intense on research. Also, as for funding at UIUC, good luck. Funding at UIUC is nearly impossible to get. During my 4 years in undergrad, I only met 3 people with funding from UIUC. Again, I know I'm sounding negative but the out of state price is crazy. I have been in two graduate classes during my undergrad and I got to know many graduate students who weren't very fond of the program. This could have to go with hiring on a bunch of new professors, so it was (and will be) a rebidding year or two. 

My advice, all your masters is in 2 years, I wouldn't spend any extra money if you don't have to. Be where your familiar, close to your family and boyfriend. And I promise you the competitive nature is everywhere, I applied for grad schools where they had a more hands on approach to students and their clients. From reading your post, I feel like you already know what the right answer is, I just thought I would give you a point of view from someone who has experienced the program. Hope this helps!

44 minutes ago, SLP__123456789 said:

It is very easy to get funding at UIUC for SLP graduate school, so disregard neurodegenerate1. It is hard to get funding for undergraduate, yes, but not graduate. They have so many opportunities and it is the WHOLE tuition. 

They did not offer me anything other than loans. What was your experience like in terms of funding?

I did talk to the department and Dr. Johnson and she was able to tell me some items but I would like to hear more about other student's perspectives. 

If i choose to attend UIUC I am thinking of applying to McKinley for an assistantship, are SHS student typically preferred over other students in other disciplines? What do you recommend I do or what tips would you give for funding? Thank you! :)

Edited by peachy.speechie

I am more familiar with the undergrad program, but I was in a class where I was one of three undergrads in a graduate-level class for the masters SLP program. The other two undergrads and I asked for a lot of graduate school application advice and from what the other 15-20 masters students. I studied and got coffee with a lot of them, and what I wrote earlier is the picture of the graduate that I got. It's a great school for research funding! and if you are into more behavioral/neural programs or wanting to eventually get your PhD (UIUC is well known for being a research campus). From what I gathered, there was only 3 people who had funding and it was research/merit based. Maybe a person or two didn't want to come forward and say "I am here on funding" however, a lot of the girls were pretty adamant about funding. I just know when I applied, I wanted an in state school and I visited ISU and western, the focus was WAY more on the student and client. I didn't even understand that there could be so much of a teacher-student relationship from my undergrad. Thats when I realized how right my older peers were. I personally decided not to apply because I was more into client based studying, and less research. I will say, the campus is very welcoming, and I did enjoy my undergrad, UIUC has a really diverse campus, good food, pretty safe campus if you stay on campus and the nightlife was always fun if you ever want to go out on the weekends! 

19 minutes ago, neurodegenerate1 said:

I am more familiar with the undergrad program, but I was in a class where I was one of three undergrads in a graduate-level class for the masters SLP program. The other two undergrads and I asked for a lot of graduate school application advice and from what the other 15-20 masters students. I studied and got coffee with a lot of them, and what I wrote earlier is the picture of the graduate that I got. It's a great school for research funding! and if you are into more behavioral/neural programs or wanting to eventually get your PhD (UIUC is well known for being a research campus). From what I gathered, there was only 3 people who had funding and it was research/merit based. Maybe a person or two didn't want to come forward and say "I am here on funding" however, a lot of the girls were pretty adamant about funding. I just know when I applied, I wanted an in state school and I visited ISU and western, the focus was WAY more on the student and client. I didn't even understand that there could be so much of a teacher-student relationship from my undergrad. Thats when I realized how right my older peers were. I personally decided not to apply because I was more into client based studying, and less research. I will say, the campus is very welcoming, and I did enjoy my undergrad, UIUC has a really diverse campus, good food, pretty safe campus if you stay on campus and the nightlife was always fun if you ever want to go out on the weekends! 

I agree with neurodegenerate1. I did my undergrad at U of I and I also was one of 4-5 people in a graduate level class back in fall of 2018. I heard similar things, honestly what I heard from other grad students turned me away from wanting to go to U of I for my masters. I haven't talked one-on-one with as many master students in my class or become as close with them, but when I talked to my TA's and masters students they did mention that there is not a lot of funding for people not pursuing research or higher education. Like @jlSLP said, its hard to get assistantships, and the weather does indeed suck, haha! You will have class in -18 weather without windchill. They never cancel. However, all that negative stuff aside I still decided to apply after my gap year because for me it's a good fit. For me U of I is my alma, my boyfriend of 5 years will be there, I concentrated in neuroscience of communication (which the program is really trying to grow because again, they love research) and I will still have in-state tuition, because I'm confident I won't get funding. In my opinion it all depends on your situation and where you are in life, I personally just finished a year of long distance and don't want to wait any longer to be with my guy! If you have any questions for me let me know!

P.S. @neurodegenerate1 what year/class were you in?! I'm talking about Neural basis of Speech and Language!