SSHRC Doctoral 2019-2020

displaynamesarehard

20 minutes ago, PsycUndergrad said:

I think the competition statistics on the SSHRC website show how many CGS-D and fellowships are awarded to each university,  discipline and subcommittee, although I could be wrong. 

You're right. They have that posted for the previous years. I assume this year's stats will be posted later in the summer. I'm just curious about how the scores work though - which isn't explained on those documents. Is there a cutoff score overall or is it per committee or is it per committee and institution? This is all very confusing.The notification letter simply states that a score was calculated and the criteria for the score but no mention of cutoffs.

1 hour ago, simmi823 said:

Thank you so much for your comment! US taxes boggle my mind!

Are you sending it to your Canadian bank account and then just transferring over any funds you will need to use?

Apologies for all the questions -- no one at my institution even knows what this award is, and I'm confused about some of the logistics. 

Hey - no problem. I'm sending it to my Canadian bank account, but I actually right now am living in Canada and this past academic year have been living/conducting research in Colombia. So, I access my Canadian funds straight from my Canadian account. But, the 2 previous years when we were living in the US and needing Canadian funds, we could send funds very easily through our Canadian account. Obviously, you lose $$ on exchange rates, but unavoidable if you need the funds in US. 

In terms of other logistics, I just filled in the two forms for accepting the award - the one that gets signed by your university and the Direct Deposit one and emailed them to SSHRC. I think that's it but if I hear of any other steps, I'll let you know. 

1 hour ago, IcedLatte said:

I'm part of committee 4 and  got a score on 15/20 but I didn't get the CGS-D. I got the SSHRC doctoral (at McGill). I wonder whether it has to do something with the institutions. 

Can I ask where you're seeing your score? I got a CGS-D as well, but my score wasn't included as part of the award letter, poster to extranet. I'm also in Committee 4, and it's my 4 time applying, so I'm just curious about my score. 

2 hours ago, manahoana said:

Just heard back and am on the waiting list! So definitely not all rejections today, at least.

Honestly after not even getting forwarded to the national competition last year, I consider this a win! Who knows, maybe it will turn into an actual win soon.

That was my experience - successful on the 4th time I applied. So don't give up :)

3 hours ago, TurnLeft said:

Thank you!!! It’s a bummer but at the same time.... oh well ?. I’m sure I’ll be rejected many times in my career, gotta start somewhere LOL. And Ugh... fingers crossed for you!!! 

I’m so sorry :( my score was devastatingly low! As if I didn’t have enough imposter syndrome ?

Got my lowest score the the third year that I applied and then in my 4th year, success! So, don't give up! It's not a reflection on you or the importance of your work.

On 5/2/2020 at 8:34 AM, PsycUndergrad said:

I got 15.9/20 in committee 4 (I think - I’m in psych).

Like others, my application was very similar last year, but I was waitlisted with an 11.1/20. I guess it comes down to who happens to read your application. 

Where did you see your scores @psychundergrad? I was successful this year too, also with Committee 4, but my award letter doesn't show my scores. 

11 minutes ago, PhdMultilinguaEd said:

Can I ask where you're seeing your score? I got a CGS-D as well, but my score wasn't included as part of the award letter, poster to extranet. I'm also in Committee 4, and it's my 4 time applying, so I'm just curious about my score. 

Your score is in the Results Letter, one of the 3 docs that was uploaded to Extranet. Congrats on the CGS-D!

Edited by ellason

4 hours ago, TurnLeft said:

Thank you!!! It’s a bummer but at the same time.... oh well ?. I’m sure I’ll be rejected many times in my career, gotta start somewhere LOL. And Ugh... fingers crossed for you!!! 

I’m so sorry :( my score was devastatingly low! As if I didn’t have enough imposter syndrome ?

I so relate to your last sentence. It is my first time applying and I already feel like a total fraud in my studies, so it is going to be hard not to overanalyze that. However, judging by all the posts here, it really looks like we should not read a denial as an overall judgement of the quality of our research. And I still don't have my results ?

29 minutes ago, FidelCastor said:

I so relate to your last sentence. It is my first time applying and I already feel like a total fraud in my studies, so it is going to be hard not to overanalyze that. However, judging by all the posts here, it really looks like we should not read a denial as an overall judgement of the quality of our research. And I still don't have my results ?

I hope you find out soon!!!  It really is difficult not to try to rationalize it or figure it out or let it dishearten you! It was my first year applying for the doctoral level one, too. We’ll get ‘em year!! (Fingers crossed). Or maybe you’ll get it this year still!!!! (Fingers crossed even more). 

Just now, ButterTurtle said:

I feel like I am the only one left who hasn’t found out. Just reject me already so we don’t have to keep dragging this out ? I’m in the middle of my comp exams. 

I'm in the same boat--no word yet.  Committee 2 in Ontario, you?

Hey, everyone. I've been watching the forum all day and thought I'd finally chime in. I'm in psychology at the U of S and haven't heard back yet. I know someone else in psych at the U of S who heard back this morning, though. This whole process confuses me.

No luck for me this year. Will apply next year and not think about it till early May! I am waiting to hear on another major award  - my essay was much better that round and I think my application will be a bit stronger with the Alberta Excellence Award and another as well as another conference paper. This has been fun! Be well and keep doing the good work you are doing. 

For those not notified yet, fingers crossed for you.

2 minutes ago, Cutethulhu said:

Hey, everyone. I've been watching the forum all day and thought I'd finally chime in. I'm in psychology at the U of S and haven't heard back yet. I know someone else in psych at the U of S who heard back this morning, though. This whole process confuses me.

I have a colleague in a different department At usask who heard. I don’t. understand this. at all. 

I just got my results at approximately 4pm - Unsuccessful, first year applying. Congratulations to all of the winners and better luck next year to everyone else!

39 minutes ago, ButterTurtle said:

Just got results too. Denied with a 12, committee 4.

Not even a waitlist? It must depend on subcommittees, I know there was some discussion of the a page or two back. I scored lower than that on committee 4, but am waitlisted.