SSHRC Doctoral 2019-2020

displaynamesarehard

I really pity the people that are not on this forum and have no idea that they can (often, not always) check the extranet.  Or maybe don't even know about the extranet!

edit: Although, having gone through two days (plus the weekend) already of refreshing the screen constantly and living through the rumours with you guys, maybe they are the lucky ones.  Not that I'm not glad to have people to commiserate with, and data to work with, but it has been quite a rollercoaster!

Edited by JHSinclair

4 hours ago, JHSinclair said:

I really pity the people that are not on this forum and have no idea that they can (often, not always) check the extranet.  Or maybe don't even know about the extranet!

edit: Although, having gone through two days (plus the weekend) already of refreshing the screen constantly and living through the rumours with you guys, maybe they are the lucky ones.  Not that I'm not glad to have people to commiserate with, and data to work with, but it has been quite a rollercoaster!

I am definitely envious of those who haven't spent days refreshing the same page, over and over and over! 

Seems my university SGS officer has information on some students but not others, even within the same program/department/year and committee. Seems they are just as out of the loop as I am, as a factor of my adjudicator(s) not uploading the documents to the extranet.

my guess is that once all documents are uploaded, all 3000+ then the email will go out stating that results are in. I suspect they should have either started uploading earlier or had the same date set to release results or stated what their release strategy was so we had not wasted so much mental energy since Thursday. Good news is we should hopefully know tomorrow. Happy Sunday everyone!

I received my results on Thursday - SSHRC Doctoral! I'm a direct applicant, committee 3 with a score of 16.9. This was my third time applying - I applied before the PhD (didn't make it past the first round) and in my first year (waitlisted). No new publications or conferences. Mostly just tightened up my proposal with a lot of feedback, focusing particularly on the 'Contributions to knowledge'. I also think that the new format where you could talk about relevant training and experience was helpful.

2 hours ago, Threesisters said:

my guess is that once all documents are uploaded, all 3000+ then the email will go out stating that results are in. I suspect they should have either started uploading earlier or had the same date set to release results or stated what their release strategy was so we had not wasted so much mental energy since Thursday. Good news is we should hopefully know tomorrow. Happy Sunday everyone!

This makes so much sense!! Hope the rest of us waiting find out tomorrow. I’ve had my login since Wednesday and I’m about to go loco if I don’t find out tomorrow lol. Fingers crossed for all of us! Hope those waiting managed to have a nice weekend despite it all.

4 hours ago, Threesisters said:

This makes so much sense ??‍♀️  Seems like there might be several employees and that each employee has a stack they go through to create log ins for and then go through to load the files, hence why some people are getting their results faster and Some slower (some may not work as fast etc). I know my friend got her log in info 20ish mins before me Friday early afternoon, and then received her results at 4:45 pm on Friday. I assume the person doing ours stopped for the day after hers - hence why I didn’t get mine ?
It would’ve made way more sense for them to create accounts/upload files so everyone’s was on there.... but not give us any of that info until it was all uploaded. Then they could’ve released the log in info in batches, and the results would’ve already been there. But maybe then we’d be complaining that no one had heard yet so I guess there’s no real win/win ?? 

Edited by TurnLeft

5 hours ago, Threesisters said:

Ah yes this is probably what happened. Aughh all we can hope is tomorrow will be the last day of this emotional rollercoaster from hell. 

Good luck to the rest of us without results yet! Let's hope we all hear back tomorrow!!

I have a question about referees for applying next cycle (just in case I'm unsuccessful). Since I will be starting a PhD program in the fall and hoping to apply for SSHRC again in the fall (if my application is not successful), should one of my referees be someone in the PhD program? My referees this cycle were my MA thesis co-supervisors. Should I ask them again this fall? I don't think anyone in the PhD program will know me well enough to be able to write me a strong enough letter for SSHRC, especially if I have to start the program remotely. The program is in the US and the semester is a quarter system, so classes run from October to December. I think the SSHRC app deadline for direct applicants is in October. Does anyone have any insight into this or know I resource I can consult? 

Edited by lambda-abstraction

38 minutes ago, lambda-abstraction said:

Good luck to the rest of us without results yet! Let's hope we all hear back tomorrow!!

I have a question about referees for applying next cycle (just in case I'm unsuccessful). Since I will be starting a PhD program in the fall and hoping to apply for SSHRC again in the fall (if my application is not successful), should one of my referees be someone in the PhD program? My referees this cycle were my MA thesis co-supervisors. Should I ask them again this fall? I don't think anyone in the PhD program will know me well enough to be able to write me a strong enough letter for SSHRC, especially if I have to start the program remotely. The program is in the US and the semester is a quarter system, so classes run from October to December. I think the SSHRC app deadline for direct applicants is in October. Does anyone have any insight into this or know I resource I can consult? 

Check the application instructions from this year... I’ve read something about how one referee should be your current supervisor but it should say in the section about your letters of appraisal. 

Just got my results from my department, waitlisted ? But first time applying, looking forward to seeing my scores when they go on the extranet.

Edited by Sco

4 minutes ago, JHSinclair said:

Sorry to hear!!!  What an excruciating wait for bad news.  

15 minutes ago, Sco said:

Just got my results from my department, waitlisted ? But first time applying, looking forward to seeing my scores when they go on the extranet.

44 minutes ago, TurnLeft said:

Got my results - no sshrc for me this year ? aw well. 

Awe Dang! It is a crap shoot and not a reflection of the work you are doing. Hope you can now move forward with the important work you are doing! 

I am nervous now. Nothing posted yet. 

Just now, Threesisters said:

Awe Dang! It is a crap shoot and not a reflection of the work you are doing. Hope you can now move forward with the important work you are doing! 

I am nervous now. Nothing posted yet. 

Ah - I haven't heard yet either. Fingers crossed to everyone still waiting - this is such torture!!! 

Just now, Threesisters said:

Just to be clear, if you were a page refresher and got your result already, how does the page change? Maybe its the rain, but I feel like I am missing something?

A document will show up you can download/open!

Just now, TurnLeft said:

A document will show up you can download/open!

Will it appear on the main page? I can see a folder with my name but there's nothing in it. 

And I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get sshrc this year - hang in there :)

Just now, kittycats said:

Will it appear on the main page? I can see a folder with my name but there's nothing in it. 

Yes it’ll appear on the main page. 

3 documents if you got it! Good luck!! :)

6 minutes ago, kittycats said:

huh.  Mine just says "my documents' (nothing inside)

Can someone please share some good news on here soon?!  Surely they didn't just hold rejections for today?

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 2.21.32 pm.png

Edited by JHSinclair

5 minutes ago, JHSinclair said:

Can someone please share some good news on here soon?!  Surely they didn't just hold rejections for today?

Mine looks the exact same as yours @JHSinclair

8 minutes ago, JHSinclair said:

Mine looks like this too. I can click on the folder but there is nothing there.