SSHRC Doctoral 2019-2020

displaynamesarehard

2 minutes ago, JHSinclair said:

51 hours since I received the log-in email, and I'm dying here.  Please SSHRC, don't make us wait through the weekend!   (Direct applicant, committee 2)

In exact same position...and I am also direct applicant (though in the U.S. ) and committee 2...

I have only seen one person who won an award from committee 2.

Edited by VentralStream

For those still waiting, I did some clicking around in the extranet and it's sharepoint based and it looks like each person's files are being uploaded individually by a specific, real human being to individual folders for each applicant rather than being done in a big batch or through an automated system. It also looks like there is an applicant number (different from application number or committee number) attached to each person that might be part of how logins and results are being ordered.

Just now, cndougherty said:

For those still waiting, I did some clicking around in the extranet and it's sharepoint based and it looks like each person's files are being uploaded individually by a specific, real human being to individual folders for each applicant rather than being done in a big batch or through an automated system. It also looks like there is an applicant number (different from application number or committee number) attached to each person that might be part of how logins and results are being ordered.

I can't tell if this makes me feel better... given the human component...its possible then that they may not finish by the end of their work day, which means...another weekend. :(

5 minutes ago, VentralStream said:

In exact same position...and I am also direct applicant (though in the U.S. ) and committee 2...

I have only seen one person who won an award from committee 2.

Also a direct applicant and I think I'm committee 2. Have log in info since Wed, no results yet. If I remember correctly, I think there's been a couple of people in our committee who are direct applicants as well and got awarded SSHRC. I'm really not sure if they uploaded successful results first or what their order is, but I'm hoping it's random at this point so we still have a chance. 

1 hour ago, elodie said:

Is it still the case that some people here won SSHRC but have won Vanier etc., and then give up SSHRC? Anyone have any information about waitlist movements from previous years?

I was waitlist last year but didn't move up or anything.

9 minutes ago, cndougherty said:

I can understand that (although you would think in this day and age they could automate this) but it still doesn't explain why the order of log-in info and results doesn't match up in any way.  Is one person doing one and another the other?  I'm not sure they could have found a stupider way of doing this... unless it was like every other year and they were mailing it.

Edited by JHSinclair

4 minutes ago, JHSinclair said:

I can understand that (although you would think in this day and age they could automate this) but it still doesn't explain why the order of log-in info and results doesn't match up in any way.  Is one person doing one and another the other?  I'm not sure they could have found a stupider way of doing this... unless it was like every other year and they were mailing it.

Government mindset ?

5 minutes ago, JHSinclair said:

Not having any insight into this specific process or how SSHRC is staffed, but having been responsible for similar processes at other organizations in the past, my guess is that duties are split between different people and it's only noticeable when it's electronic because it's live. When stuff goes in the mail it tends to be stored in postal bins until it's all finished and ready to go and then the bins are all taken to Canada Post at the same time. Real-time digital processes don't automatically make things better, they just tend to expose process foibles faster than behind-the-scenes analog systems do.

There definitely *are* stupider ways of doing things. For example, sending a package to each school and then expecting schools to forward results to their applicants without any direct communication from SSHRC to applicants seems like it would be worse because it introduces more steps where errors and delays could occur. Or, results for everyone could be put in a giant spreadsheet for anyone in the world to download. Or, they could post a physical copy of the list in a sub-basement of an obscure office and expect people to figure out that that's where the information was and physically travel there to look at results (all Hitchhikers Guide style). Or, they could be trying to use carrier pigeons.

Hi all,

I already heard from my university that I was waitlisted, but I only got my login this morning and no results yet. Instead, I keep getting an error: access denied when I try to log in. Have other people accessed results later on after seeing this message?

did anyone get results posted to extranet before or after business hours? I'm not talking about the emails or when you discovered your results. Because their businesses hours are up at 430 and I'm wondering if we could see results after or on the weekend...

17 hours ago, CarefreeWritingsontheWall said:

I didn't receive a notification that my results were up, but out of curiosity I logged in this evening. I got a SSHRC! Direct applicant from a US program. Applied to committee 5. 

For what it's worth, I'm in my fourth year at a US program, so it's only 20K, but this might be enough for me to haggle 6th year support from my program. 

can I ask what your score was to help get a sense of waitlist for this committee? thx : )

Has anyone heard anything back from Committee 3? I did a search through this thread and seemingly little.

Edited by Sco

1 hour ago, lleto said:

Just received my results (Concordia student) and I was waitlisted with a score of 11.7/20 in committee 5. I'm going to start a new thread for those who are waitlisted so that we can hopefully see if there is any movement with the waitlists.

Mind sharing what department you’re in if that’s ok? I’ve had my log in info since Wed and nothing and it’s driving me nuts ?? also at Concordia in Education

Just now, TurnLeft said:

If they’re closed at 4:30... I guess the rest of us will hear next week?? ??‍♀️

If that's true, so help me god. Realistically are they bound by strict office hours though? Not like anyone is actually at an office anyways. I imagine the purpose of the digital system was to accommodate for this.

Edited by Sco

Just now, SamsonWrote said:

I received a log in at 8:30am and have yet to hear anything more. I suspect it won't be until Monday now, as the offices apparently close at 4:30.

I feel foolish for thinking this tweet only pertained to those who had yet to receive the extranet login. It seems that the login email is just a strange place holder. 

2 minutes ago, SweetP said:

Hey All - Was notified by my advisor before any login credentials were sent. Received login email around 1:45pm. Found results around 4pm. Committee 3. 14.25/20 was awarded SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship. 

This is the first C3 notification I've seen in this thread, feeling hopeful for a result today.

certainly no consistency on when you receive info and when results are released AND what university policy is on telling applicants. Anyone from the UofA hear from FGSR or their department? I received login before 9 am and still nothing. So no crying or celebrating this weekend I guess. And I suspect if these people are working from home they are not being efficient. Sigh. If you get results after 4:30 can you post so we still have some hope?