SSHRC Doctoral 2019-2020

displaynamesarehard

3 minutes ago, maphew said:

Received word this morning I was wait-listed with a score of 12.9/20.

To others on the wait list, what were your scores?

It looks like there have been waitlist scores ranging from 10-13.5

1 minute ago, bluesnow said:

Has anyone who received logins today gotten their results?

I haven't yet. Things seem to be happening now at an accelerated pace, but I still wouldn't be surprised if I don't hear until much later in the day or even into next week. I've reached out to my institution to see if they have any answers, though I expect they'll brush me off.

Just now, angrycrustacean said:

I haven't yet. Things seem to be happening now at an accelerated pace, but I still wouldn't be surprised if I don't hear until much later in the day or even into next week. I've reached out to my institution to see if they have any answers, though I expect they'll brush me off.

Hmm... I've also reached out to my institution late last night. Haven't heard yet.

I haven't gotten a login either and noticed that SSHRC has just tweeted that emails could be going out this week and early next week...

Ugh.. another weekend of waiting???

Just now, bluesnow said:

Hmm... I've also reached out to my institution late last night. Haven't heard yet.

I haven't gotten a login either and noticed that SSHRC has just tweeted that emails could be going out this week and early next week...

Ugh.. another weekend of waiting???

I'm really hoping that my institution gets back to me today to avoid waiting over the weekend. Knowing my luck I would have to wait until early next week and then still be rejected. I want to just get it over with.

12 hours ago, simmi823 said:

Hey! Congrats on your award. I am also a direct applicant in the US and found out I received the award today, too. Do you know if it is dispersed in US dollars, and they just calculate it according to the exchange rate of the day? Are we taxed on it in the US? I cannot find this information anywhere ... Thank you... 

So, my understanding is that it is not considered income, but I could be wrong about that. I have an accountant in Canada and one in US that do our taxes in both countries, and both are very familiar with laws across the two, so that will be a question for them next tax season :)

In my case, I'm still having it sent to my Canadian bank account, but on the Direct Deposit form, there is an option to have it sent in US dollars to a US account. I'm assuming it would be exchange rate of the day. 

Hope that helps!

4 minutes ago, socphd20 said:

It looks like there have been waitlist scores ranging from 10-13.5

Not waitlist this year, but in a previous year, my score was in the 12 range when I was waitlisted. At that time, I was able to email SSHRC and they told me my # on the waitlist, as my understanding is that waitlists are done by committee. I wasn't successful that year, but hope you make it off the waitlist. And if not, don't give up! I had 3 unsuccessful applications before being successful this year. 

Just now, PhdMultilinguaEd said:

Not waitlist this year, but in a previous year, my score was in the 12 range when I was waitlisted. At that time, I was able to email SSHRC and they told me my # on the waitlist, as my understanding is that waitlists are done by committee. I wasn't successful that year, but hope you make it off the waitlist. And if not, don't give up! I had 3 unsuccessful applications before being successful this year. 

I haven't gotten my results back yet so fingers crossed still!

Edited by socphd20

11 hours ago, lambda-abstraction said:

I feel like I'm the only direct applicant without official results yet. Have my log in info, but no documents available... I'm preparing to be rejected, especially since it seems like a majority of the direct applicants who have heard back have been awarded SSHRC. My negative mind is telling me that I haven't heard back because I've been rejected. I'm a direct applicant pre-doctoral, going to start the first year of my PhD this fall in the US.

Hope you get your results soon and all the best for good news! And if by chance it's not what you're hoping for, give yourself some time and then apply again in the fall. I'm also a direct applicant, now in my 3rd year at a US university (UW-Madison) and finally got the award this year - after 3 unsuccessful applications! It's so hard to keep motivated to apply again, especially since it's not required by our universities, but it was worth it in my case. All the best!

No login email yet and I'm at Ryerson. I spoke to my program admin and they said they hadn't heard anything yet but if/when they do they will reach out. 

I'm currently preparing for my comps and honestly I just want to know so that I can move on with my life without this being the only thought my brain can hold. 

Just now, Yng.Astronaut said:

No login email yet and I'm at Ryerson. I spoke to my program admin and they said they hadn't heard anything yet but if/when they do they will reach out. 

I'm currently preparing for my comps and honestly I just want to know so that I can move on with my life without this being the only thought my brain can hold. 

This is so odd, it seemed that last night (around 5pm EST??) many universities were receiving word on their portal and notifying their students directly.. Wondering whether not all were informed or maybe the dept are just not telling students at some unis?

Just now, psychstudent312 said:

This is so odd, it seemed that last night (around 5pm EST??) many universities were receiving word on their portal and notifying their students directly.. Wondering whether not all were informed or maybe the dept are just not telling students at some unis?

I was on a call (that was not SSHRC related) with the program admin and GPD and they brought up that they are just as frustrated as we are. My guess is that the university might know but our program hasn't been notified yet? The admin basically said she thinks we will find out before she does at this rate. 

I got an email from my graduate awards office this morning with information on activating the award. It seemed to be a mass email so I would guess that they received a list of winners for the university... it’s so strange. I don’t know why sshrc would notify some schools but not others.

10 minutes ago, Yng.Astronaut said:

Same here for Queen's. Program admin says nothing yet, which is pretty dumb considering so many institutions already know and have informed their students. 

Just now, PsycUndergrad said:

I got an email from my graduate awards office this morning with information on activating the award. It seemed to be a mass email so I would guess that they received a list of winners for the university... it’s so strange. I don’t know why sshrc would notify some schools but not others.

Which University??