SSHRC Doctoral 2019-2020

displaynamesarehard

53 minutes ago, TurnLeft said:

Any word from USask? We’ve asked our chair but wondering if another dept. might have more insight? 

I'm in psych at uSask and I've heard nothing (and extranet also says that I don't exist yet)

Just now, Lexifer said:

I'm in psych at uSask and I've heard nothing (and extranet also says that I don't exist yet)

Carleton University - I also don't exist on the extranet and have seen nothing from my department.

Anxiety is +400% right now. It's my excuse to not work on my thesis tonight xD

1 minute ago, Threesisters said:

Drinking wine. Going to make scallops. Put on Netflix. Tomorrow will come soon enough. My reading is all philosophy right now. And with a masters in business, its been a tough go but now in education I see how it is important. It is great bed time reading. It makes you fall asleep!

Killing it in the "treat yoself" category. ?

Have a good night everyone.

3 hours ago, rylsha said:

Thanks so much for the encouragement! I was just contemplating if I should bother applying again since it will be my 4th year next year - but your comment made me think it's worth a try!

Yes, if you're eligible, I would definitely apply - even though I know it's such a pain to go through the process again. I applied in my 3rd year and will have funding for my 4th and 5th years. 

2 hours ago, jsmoker said:

I've been watching this thread for the past day now...and if it helps anyone else, I'm a direct applicant in the UK who received the external site access e-mail 30 hours ago and I still haven't received any results.

In my case, I'm an external applicant as well and I received the email yesterday with extranet access. I never received another email but my award showed up this afternoon on the extranet page. 

3 hours ago, socphd20 said:

I am in England in my first year (to be starting second) and was given my login details yesterday but no documents yet. 

3 hours ago, Biting_My_Nails said:

I'm so sorry. I'm also mentally preparing to apply again this fall, although my (UBC) dept says there is no news from Grad Studies

It's super disappointing but don't give up hope - I applied 3 times before being successful this year! It's brutal to go through the process again, but as long as you're eligible, keep applying. Good luck!

3 hours ago, rylsha said:

I'm a direct applicant in the US, applicant ID last 4 digits 0464, I don't know which committee but I am in psych. I received my login info yesterday and results today around 12pm (CDT). No email notifications about the results being available today, I just logged on to check. First time applicant waitlisted with a score of 10.9/20.

It looks like a lot of people are still have issues with logging on and receiving results, that is so frustrating! ? I hope they put us all out of our misery soon.

I'm sorry to hear that you were waitlisted - that's so frustrating! I had that happen to me once. I'm also a direct applicant in the US. Here's some encouragement - I applied 3 times before being successful on my 4th. So don't give up!

3 hours ago, displaynamesarehard said:

I'm at Western and just got an email that I was waitlisted. No email login yet though which would be nice to know what position I'm in. More waiting for me I guess.

One year when I was waitlisted, I emailed SSHRC and there were able to tell me my score and my # on the waitlist. Unfortunately, I never made it off the waitlist, but I hope you do! Otherwise, keep applying. I just was successful this year after 3 non-successful applications in previous years. 

4 hours ago, elodie said:

Seems like more direct applicants were notified today and yesterday. I would also guess that direct applicants are less likely to check this forum compared to those of us already in grad studies. So maybe significantly more rejections that simply weren't posted here (success rate for 1st year as been 15%).

Not sure if this helps, but I'm a direct applicant and I was notified today. Maybe that is why some people are finding out and not others. 

3 hours ago, MoneyTree said:

OK my department just emailed me (before I even got an extranet access email). I only read the blurb that popped up on my phone. It contains the word "unfortunately." Oh well. 

Edit: I'm at UBC in Committee 1. 

I'm sorry to hear that. It is super disappointing though. If this helps, I applied 3 years in a row (and last year my scores were dismal) before being successful this year. So, once the disappointment wears off, apply again if you can. 

4 hours ago, fork4k said:

Ah damn!! I guess it's not even by province either then (I don't think anyone at my school's received anything yet? but I obviously wouldn't know for sure). Now I'm wondering if they really did send out most of the winners by now. 

I received my news today, but I didn't ever receive an email (outside of my initial extranet credentials yesterday). It was just posted to extranet. 

Just now, PhdMultilinguaEd said:

I received my news today, but I didn't ever receive an email (outside of my initial extranet credentials yesterday). It was just posted to extranet. 

Yes but most of us have not received our extranet credentials yet :( 

2 minutes ago, TurnLeft said:

Yes but most of us have not received our extranet credentials yet :( 

I'm so sorry to hear that - it's so frustrating. I remember last year checking on here religiously to try to figure out when I'd get my package in the mail, as a US external applicant. No matter what, the waiting part is the worst. Hoping the best for you!

17 minutes ago, PhdMultilinguaEd said:

Not sure if this helps, but I'm a direct applicant and I was notified today. Maybe that is why some people are finding out and not others. 

Hey! Congrats on your award. I am also a direct applicant in the US and found out I received the award today, too. Do you know if it is dispersed in US dollars, and they just calculate it according to the exchange rate of the day? Are we taxed on it in the US? I cannot find this information anywhere ... Thank you... 

I didn't receive a notification that my results were up, but out of curiosity I logged in this evening. I got a SSHRC! Direct applicant from a US program. Applied to committee 5. 

For what it's worth, I'm in my fourth year at a US program, so it's only 20K, but this might be enough for me to haggle 6th year support from my program. 

35 minutes ago, simmi823 said:

Hey! Congrats on your award. I am also a direct applicant in the US and found out I received the award today, too. Do you know if it is dispersed in US dollars, and they just calculate it according to the exchange rate of the day? Are we taxed on it in the US? I cannot find this information anywhere ... Thank you... 

We're paid directly. According to the website "Award holders will have their instalments converted to the currency of the bank account indicated on the pdf.gifPayee and Direct Deposit Enrolment Form." The base denomination will be Canadian dollars. More information here: https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/Guides-Guides/TriRTA-TriBFR_eng.asp#awardspaid

Edited by CarefreeWritingsontheWall

13 minutes ago, CarefreeWritingsontheWall said:

We're paid directly. According to the website "Award holders will have their instalments converted to the currency of the bank account indicated on the pdf.gifPayee and Direct Deposit Enrolment Form." The base denomination will be Canadian dollars. More information here: https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/Guides-Guides/TriRTA-TriBFR_eng.asp#awardspaid

Wow, that sucks. Might want to give details to a Canadian bank and convert it yourself if 1-2% of 20K/year is worth it to you. Your U.S. bank will likely gouge you on the exchange rate if you let SSHRC do it.

I feel like I'm the only direct applicant without official results yet. Have my log in info, but no documents available... I'm preparing to be rejected, especially since it seems like a majority of the direct applicants who have heard back have been awarded SSHRC. My negative mind is telling me that I haven't heard back because I've been rejected. I'm a direct applicant pre-doctoral, going to start the first year of my PhD this fall in the US.

6 minutes ago, lambda-abstraction said:

I feel like I'm the only direct applicant without official results yet. Have my log in info, but no documents available... I'm preparing to be rejected, especially since it seems like a majority of the direct applicants who have heard back have been awarded SSHRC. My negative mind is telling me that I haven't heard back because I've been rejected. I'm a direct applicant pre-doctoral, going to start the first year of my PhD this fall in the US.

I'm in the same boat, direct applicant with my login but no info, but in my second year. It's hard not to automatically think that, but like someone mentioned on here a few posts back, there is likely more people posting their success than the opposite - for all we know, there could be just as many that got rejections. Hang in there, hopefully we'll hear by tomorrow! 

17 minutes ago, lambda-abstraction said:

Im also direct and haven't heard.