SSHRC Doctoral 2019-2020

displaynamesarehard

7 minutes ago, thisistheworst13 said:

Are there any direct applicants out there still waiting? Received my log-in info 48 hours ago and still no results

Direct applicant here. No results yet, got my log in info on Wednesday... 

13 hours ago, ex_ante said:

Wow, that sucks. Might want to give details to a Canadian bank and convert it yourself if 1-2% of 20K/year is worth it to you. Your U.S. bank will likely gouge you on the exchange rate if you let SSHRC do it.

It's definitely worth it to have it paid to a Canadian account and then move it as you need it. For reference, if I wire money from the US to a Canadian USD account, then convert it, I always get a better exchange rate. But there are tax forms and such involved with moving more than 10k to the US at a time. Also things to consider for direct applicants abroad. 

Got the extranet email this morning but no results yet. Emailed U of T Graduate School and was told -

"The university has had a policy not to release results to students when we are not the awarding agency. As SSHRC is the awarding agency in this case, it is preferable that applicants find out the results directly from SSHRC."

grrrrrr.

4 minutes ago, Pauly-Sigh said:

Got the extranet email this morning but no results yet. Emailed U of T Graduate School and was told -

"The university has had a policy not to release results to students when we are not the awarding agency. As SSHRC is the awarding agency in this case, it is preferable that applicants find out the results directly from SSHRC."

grrrrrr.

aaaaand I just got a response - looks like I got regular SSHRC!

My latest theory on notifications is that they may be notifying those at the top and bottom of each committee and making their way inwards. Because we have seen SO many 'big sshrc' winners yesterday and today, only a handful of regular sshrcs (from what I can see?), and unsuccessful applicants.

* edit: I guess this doesn't account for waitlists applicants, so maybe I'm totally off on this

Edited by elodie

Just now, VentralStream said:

did you find out by email or by login in? congrats btw!

I wasn't notified by email, just kept anxiously refreshing the extranet page all day since I received the link.

Okay - now not hopeful. This is the response from grad awards faculty. 

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately we are not able to release results to students while SSHRC is in the process of notifying. Even though SSHRC went online with the application, it appears they are sending results the same as in previous years - by mail. So competition results are not provided by telephone or email (or their portal), so be sure to check your snail mail. https://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/results-resultats/notification-avis-eng.aspx

1 hour ago, Sco said:

CONGRATS!! Hope I hear back from UofT soon also

Thank you! So excited.

Thinking mostly of applicants in future years who might trawl through this thread, I hope it might be useful to document my "journey" with SSHRC.

2014-15: SSHRC CGS-M Waitlisted, unsuccessful.
2015-16 SSHRC CGS-M Successful: Rewrote application entirely.
2019-20: SSHRC CGS-D Rejected: Direct applicant, not yet accepted to school at time of application.
2019-20: OGS Successful: Using trimmed version of CGS-D . 
2020-21: SSHRC CGS-D Successful: Institutional applicant, applied during first year of doctorate. Rewrote application entirely, this time with help from many profs in my dept and university SSHRC-writing workshops. In terms of CV changes since previous application, the only major change is that I had won OGS and been accepted to my program. Score of 17.5/20 - but last year I got 9/20!

I was really crushed by those past rejections, and things could have easily turned out differently this round if my adjudicators had had a different food for breakfast. It's all a roll of the dice, except that no matter what we get stronger, more confident, and more fully formed as we go through iterations. For those who have gotten (or will get) rejections/waitlisted, I feel you so so keenly and I hope my data points are another assurance that your work will ultimately pay off.

Edited by angrycrustacean

3 minutes ago, elodie said:

My latest theory on notifications is that they may be notifying those at the top and bottom of each committee and making their way inwards. Because we have seen SO many 'big sshrc' winners yesterday and today, only a handful of regular sshrcs (from what I can see?), and unsuccessful applicants.

* edit: I guess this doesn't account for waitlists applicants, so maybe I'm totally off on this

I've given up on trying to figure it out. I have noticed as well that a lot of the SSHRC winners yesterday and today were the 'big SSHRC' and not very many of the regular ones. And then some people who received the extranet email today are receiving results, yet, I received my email on Wednesday and still nothing. Some universities have results (or at least claim to ) and others don't. I've been searching for some type of pattern, but I honestly don't know if there is one.

Just now, lleto said:

I've given up on trying to figure it out. I have noticed as well that a lot of the SSHRC winners yesterday and today were the 'big SSHRC' and not very many of the regular ones. And then some people who received the extranet email today are receiving results, yet, I received my email on Wednesday and still nothing. Some universities have results (or at least claim to ) and others don't. I've been searching for some type of pattern, but I honestly don't know if there is one.

I don't think there is a pattern. I got the login email much earlier today, but still no results posted... yet I know from my uni that I was awarded a fellowship. Hang in there, there are definitively more successful applications coming soon !!!! :)

2 minutes ago, angrycrustacean said:

Thank you! So excited.

Thinking mostly of applicants in future years who might trawl through this thread, I hope it might be useful to document my "journey" with SSHRC.

2014: SSHRC CGS-M Waitlisted, unsuccessful.
2015: SSHRC CGS-M Successful: Rewrote application entirely.
2018: SSHRC CGS-D Rejected: Direct applicant, not yet accepted to school at time of application.
2018: OGS Successful: Using trimmed version of CGS-D . 
2019: SSHRC CGS-D Successful: Institutional applicant, applied during first year of doctorate. Rewrote application entirely, this time with help from many profs in my dept and university SSHRC-writing workshops. In terms of CV changes since previous application, the only major change is that I had won OGS and been accepted to my program. Score of 17.5/20 - but last year I got 9/20!

I was really crushed by those past rejections, and things could have easily turned out differently this round if my adjudicators had had a different food for breakfast. It's all a roll of the dice, except that no matter what we get stronger, more confident, and more fully formed as we go through iterations. For those who have gotten (or will get) rejections/waitlisted, I feel you so so keenly and I hope my data points are another assurance that your work will ultimately pay off.

What a big jump in scores! Congrats!! You were just given your login this morning,  correct?

Yes, everyone keep re-applying no matter what! I've applied 4 times now (direct applicant, year 1,2, & 3) ! It's frustrating and not fun having to go through this year after year, but you never know when it will pan out!  And it reminds our references that we are willing to keep putting in the work (which I think is important).

1 hour ago, ButterTurtle said:

Congrats to all for getting more results/login information!

Anyone from USask hear anything? I still have no login info. I wonder if CGPS knows...

Nothing for me or my friend from Usask. Our chair hasn’t heard from CGPS either. 

I received my results yesterday, and only got an email prompting me to accept or decline the reward this morning. It seems that there are no email notifications that results are available at all. I never got one this whole time.

My score was 16.40 / 20 and I got the Bombardier. Last year I didn't even get past the institutional selection stage, so don't know what my score would have been.

Good luck everyone!!! I hope it all comes to a close soon and we can all process what happened without all this uncertainty.

2 minutes ago, TurnLeft said:

Nothing for me or my friend from Usask. Our chair hasn’t heard from CGPS either. 

I just got my extranet details but no decision letter on there and no news from CGPS or my department