SSHRC Doctoral 2019-2020

displaynamesarehard

1 minute ago, TurnLeft said:

But to be serious... Apparently Usasks awards dept. Doesn’t email results to us. My chair said he’d email to ask tonight if we hadn’t heard so maybe reach out that way??? 

Hah thanks! Well last year when I applied Peggy emailed all successful applicants only. Which felt horrible. But I haven’t heard of anyone getting any emails this year, successful or not. 

2 minutes ago, Threesisters said:

Finally see my folder with my name. Empty but my number is 242574...For those who heard today - is this a sequence? Are you in about this number?

I am 313622 and still haven't heard anything. I emailed my awards department to see if they have any information - so we'll see

Just now, quiettimes said:

I'm 298700 and I haven't heard back yet @TurnLeft what committee are you on?

Committee 1! 

Just now, ButterTurtle said:

Hah thanks! Well last year when I applied Peggy emailed all successful applicants only. Which felt horrible. But I haven’t heard of anyone getting any emails this year, successful or not. 

Oh man - she didn’t email my friend who got sshrc on Friday! So maybe she’s not this year since it’s already online and we don’t have to “wait” like previous years (hah.). 

Just now, TurnLeft said:

Committee 1! 

Oh man - she didn’t email my friend who got sshrc on Friday! So maybe she’s not this year since it’s already online and we don’t have to “wait” like previous years (hah.). 

Hah well either way - I’m glad they didn’t do that this year!

just heard back, no sshc too. Please tell me they didn't save the rejections for today...

Ugh I’m so sorry. 

just heard back, no sshc too. Please tell me they didn't save the rejections for today...

Will let you know but not feeling too hopeful. Friday was a lot of Bombardier announcements. Cruel and unusual punishment if they did that on purpose. I'd have some feedback for them on the mental stress for students waiting.

All of the ppl I was waiting with on twitter are either no’s or still waiting’s too. 

Edited by TurnLeft

4 minutes ago, Threesisters said:

Will let you know but not feeling too hopeful. Friday was a lot of Bombardier announcements. Cruel and unusual punishment if they did that on purpose. I'd have some feedback for them on the mental stress for students waiting.

Heck yes. They could’ve saved the good news for today and put the rest of us out of our misery for the weekend!! 

Just heard back and am on the waiting list! So definitely not all rejections today, at least.

Honestly after not even getting forwarded to the national competition last year, I consider this a win! Who knows, maybe it will turn into an actual win soon.

No SSHRC for me. Seems like all rejections today. Really bummed and frustrated at their process. My score was 12.40/20 

1 minute ago, manahoana said:

Just heard back and am on the waiting list! So definitely not all rejections today, at least.

Honestly after not even getting forwarded to the national competition last year, I consider this a win! Who knows, maybe it will turn into an actual win soon.

Oops sorry didn’t see this! That’s great still ❤️

11 minutes ago, leelof said:

No SSHRC for me. Seems like all rejections today. Really bummed and frustrated at their process. My score was 12.40/20 

So sorry. :( 

14 minutes ago, manahoana said:

Congratulations!!!!

Just got the message...failed to get it. Here is what is interesting. Last year I submitted the exact same application and was wait listed with a score of 12.2. This is why I decided to submit the exact same one since it seemed I was so close. However, this year I got a 9.6... 

actually, arguably this year I had a better application since I had won OGS... but didn't seem to matter. 

Edited by VentralStream

On 5/1/2020 at 6:58 AM, PhdMultilinguaEd said:

So, my understanding is that it is not considered income, but I could be wrong about that. I have an accountant in Canada and one in US that do our taxes in both countries, and both are very familiar with laws across the two, so that will be a question for them next tax season :)

In my case, I'm still having it sent to my Canadian bank account, but on the Direct Deposit form, there is an option to have it sent in US dollars to a US account. I'm assuming it would be exchange rate of the day. 

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much for your comment! US taxes boggle my mind!

Are you sending it to your Canadian bank account and then just transferring over any funds you will need to use?

Apologies for all the questions -- no one at my institution even knows what this award is, and I'm confused about some of the logistics. 

Just now, VentralStream said:

Just got the message...failed to get it. Here is what is interesting. Last year I submitted the exact same application and was wait listed with a score of 12.2. This is why I decided to submit the exact same one since it seemed I was so close. However, this year I got a 9.6... 

actually, arguably this year I had a better application since I had won OGS... but didn't seem to matter. 

I’m sorry!! The scores seem so stupid. What is the point of telling us if we don’t know what to do with the info?!! At least if we could see where we got/lost marks we’d know what to adjust or keep. Tho then the next year a diff committee member might hate the revised one anyway and would’ve loved  the original so ??‍♀️

Just now, TurnLeft said:

I’m sorry!! The scores seem so stupid. What is the point of telling us if we don’t know what to do with the info?!! At least if we could see where we got/lost marks we’d know what to adjust or keep. Tho then the next year a diff committee member might hate the revised one anyway and would’ve loved  the original so ??‍♀️

haha yeah exactly!

8 minutes ago, TurnLeft said:

You can contact them via email (or at least you used to) and ask for a breakdown of your score.  The first year I was waitlisted -- and here we are again at 11.75/20 -- the scores were so discordant (like 7.5 and 2.5) that I learned not to get in my feelings about what a crapshoot this process is.  Seems they may have addressed that this year "In the event of a discrepancy of scores of 3.5 or more points between members, a third committee reader is assigned to review the application."

hello everyone,

so sorry for those who didn't get it. i am at mcgill where they also inform students who won. i'm waiting still and have not heard from sshrc.

anyhow, just wanted to say that sshrc is not only incompetent (how difficult is it to send some 2000 results over 2-3 hours?) but also unethical to do this. and that these competitions are entirely arbitrary and sometimes really it just depends on whether your committee had breakfast or no. 

39 minutes ago, leelof said:

12.40 seems quite high to not be waitlisted, can I ask what committee you applied to? Sorry to hear!

4 minutes ago, Koukou85 said:

hello everyone,

so sorry for those who didn't get it. i am at mcgill where they also inform students who won. i'm waiting still and have not heard from sshrc.

anyhow, just wanted to say that sshrc is not only incompetent (how difficult is it to send some 2000 results over 2-3 hours?) but also unethical to do this. and that these competitions are entirely arbitrary and sometimes really it just depends on whether your committee had breakfast or no. 

Yes exactly. Same proposal, first year got waitlisted, second year didn't even make it out of the university. Its a crapshoot. 

4 minutes ago, ButterTurtle said:

For people who have been hearing back about rejections/waitlists... did you see that through the portal? or did your institution message you?

Just by refreshing the portal for me. 

2 minutes ago, ButterTurtle said:

Also, to give hope to some of you, my friend just got word this morning and won a CGS-D. So not all rejections today!

Yay!!!