SSHRC Doctoral 2019-2020

displaynamesarehard

Just now, stressymessy said:

I have not! I thought I was the only one 

?

Phew! I *think* several others in my department are waiting as well, but haven't heard anything since this morning, though the grad director is aware of the results 

37 minutes ago, Saiyph said:

Not even a waitlist? It must depend on subcommittees, I know there was some discussion of the a page or two back. I scored lower than that on committee 4, but am waitlisted. 

Really?! Well, I don’t think I was waitlisted. It never said anything in the document. But yes probably depends on sub-committee. I’m in Education. 

Just wanted to say thanks everyone for this discussion! I'm trying to figure some things out and stumbled across this thread and it's been incredibly useful... but also baffling at the same time. 

I'm in BC, in Education, Committee 4, in my second year (second time applying - first time I wasn't forwarded), and got a CSG-D. My supervisor emailed me Thursday afternoon with the results forwarded from my departmnt, then I got an email at 6:40am on Friday from SSHRC with my login info. By the time I woke up and saw it, my documents were all there. I still haven't received the email that was mentioned, and keep wondering if they made a mistake! I really sympathize with everyone who hasn't heard yet and can't get information. I was completely surprised by this and wasn't checking the site at all - I was still expecting a piece of actual mail.

45 minutes ago, ButterTurtle said:

Really?! Well, I don’t think I was waitlisted. It never said anything in the document. But yes probably depends on sub-committee. I’m in Education. 

I am psyc. I guess that may be the difference. The document explicitly mentioned the waitlist.

I found out last Thursday from my institution that I was waitlisted but I got my letter today. I scored a 12.4 on Committee 3. There's not much information to go on but I think that's a bit low to get off the waitlist. I did get OGS again this year though so at least there's that. Congratulations to everyone who got it!

5 hours ago, ButterTurtle said:

I'm in the same boat. I'm in education and got a 12.4, no waitlist. Must be a lot of us in Ed with similar scores which made the waitlist cut off higher or something. Who knows. Ah well, on wards and upwards.

Best of luck to you all on this thread. Thanks for for all the support and figuring this out together. If anything this thread gives me hope and shows what a great academic community we have here :)

Lol sorry if this got asked before, but does anyone know how we are supposed to accept this award? Which email do we send to and what are we exactly supposed to say in the email lol?

Hi Grad Cafe, long time, first time. Thanks for all of the info over the past few weeks.

Question: is anybody out there still waiting for an extranet login? At this point, I assume I was unsuccessful, but I'd chalk SSHRC acknowledging my existence as a win.

If anyone was wondering if the Government of Canada's allocation of additional funds (291.6 million to federal granting councils) may trickle down to this year's doctoral sshrc cohort, this is the answer I got from the Ministry:

The extra funding will allow the granting councils to extend all graduate scholarships and post-doctoral fellowships that are expiring between May and August 2020 by 4 months (the equivalent of one semester). This will allow graduate students and postdocs whose funding would have expired imminently a little more flexibility to complete their program of study while social distancing measures are in place.

It would not apply to those who are applying for new funding this year.”

31 minutes ago, CraigSheffer said:

Hi Grad Cafe, long time, first time. Thanks for all of the info over the past few weeks.

Question: is anybody out there still waiting for an extranet login? At this point, I assume I was unsuccessful, but I'd chalk SSHRC acknowledging my existence as a win.

I did not receive extranet access until this morning, I think they are sending them out slowly but surely! 

9 hours ago, AK47 said:

Lol sorry if this got asked before, but does anyone know how we are supposed to accept this award? Which email do we send to and what are we exactly supposed to say in the email lol?

In the Award Holder's Guide, we are to email the program contact saying we accept the award and confirming the start date. If you're at an international institution, you also send a copy of your passport. https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/Guides-Guides/TriRTA-TriBFR_eng.asp#acceptance

I've been following this for a while. I received word from my department on Thursday and login to the portal on Friday, but still do not have results uploaded on Extranet. Is anyone else still waiting for their official letter?

5 minutes ago, fork4k said:

Was anyone here contacted for their mailing address a while back and, if so, did you receive an extranet password email yet?

I was. Subject line of email: "2020 SSHRC Doctoral Results..."

"Missing Information" or the like would've sufficed.

Still have not received an extranet login.

14 minutes ago, CraigSheffer said:

I was. Subject line of email: "2020 SSHRC Doctoral Results..."

"Missing Information" or the like would've sufficed.

Still have not received an extranet login.

Same here. I wonder if we'll be the last ones to get it. I actually emailed webapps and they said my name wasn't even on their list and I should contact the program officer and let them know. I contacted the fellowships email yesterday but got no reply. It's pretty concerning - what if we've been forgotten ?

Edited by fork4k

Just now, fork4k said:

Same here. I wonder if we'll be the last ones to get it. I actually emailed webapps and they said my name wasn't even on their list and I should contact the program officer and let them know. I contacted the fellowships email yesterday but got no reply. It's pretty concerning - what if we've been forgotten ?

Well this is awkward - just got the password email. 

6 hours ago, elodie said:

If anyone was wondering if the Government of Canada's allocation of additional funds (291.6 million to federal granting councils) may trickle down to this year's doctoral sshrc cohort, this is the answer I got from the Ministry:

The extra funding will allow the granting councils to extend all graduate scholarships and post-doctoral fellowships that are expiring between May and August 2020 by 4 months (the equivalent of one semester). This will allow graduate students and postdocs whose funding would have expired imminently a little more flexibility to complete their program of study while social distancing measures are in place.

Thank you for sharing this!

6 hours ago, elodie said:

It would not apply to those who are applying for new funding this year.”

Do you know if it meas that those with master's scholarship and got the doctor scholarship are eligible for this extension as well? (so extending CGS-M by four months and delaying doctoral fellowship by four months).

Edited by Dylia

did everyone else just get the email announcing the results are now available?  ??  A bit late now, at least for most of us.  Hopefully they improve the system over the next year, because this was extremely frustrating.

16 hours ago, Dylia said:

Thank you for sharing this!

Do you know if it meas that those with master's scholarship and got the doctor scholarship are eligible for this extension as well? (so extending CGS-M by four months and delaying doctoral fellowship by four months).

I have no idea, but you should contact SSHRC and see what they say. They haven't posted official details on this beyond their initial announcement (as far as I have seen?) so they could still be working out the specific regulations. 

- Side note, I am probably going to checkout of gradcafe as we likely won't see waitlist movement till end of May (and this woman needs to MOVE ON). Hopefully see some more final scores/committees posted here today to get a better sense of where the cut off is for awarded/waitlist etc., for any of us waiting on waitlist. Thanks to everyone else for being a neurotic grad student with me over the past few days-2 weeks on here : )

1 hour ago, JHSinclair said:

did everyone else just get the email announcing the results are now available?  ??  A bit late now, at least for most of us.  Hopefully they improve the system over the next year, because this was extremely frustrating.

I also just received the official results! I would actually argue that the process went fairly smoothly and I commend them for the smooth rollout. They had to upload information and results (good or bad) for 2600 applicants before sending this email; I would guess they said they'd email when to check the results likely because they knew the uploads would be staggered on their end. I don't think we can expect them to internalize that 100-200 of the most eager applicants are in constant communication on GradCafe.