Collaborations / Current Projects and Research

Hi all!

Figured I would just go ahead and make the collaboration thread talked about in a few other threads.

This is a space where we can share information/CFPs, reach out for collaboration on papers or projects or panels, share opportunities, etc etc etc. As @kd1990 suggested, this can also be a place where applicants can reach out to current grad students and learn a bit about departments and research.

To kick us off, @Warelin, @kendalldinniene, and I are working on a spreadsheet of creative writing journals! If you're interested in helping out or have info to share, lmk.

44 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Hi all!

Figured I would just go ahead and make the collaboration thread talked about in a few other threads.

This is a space where we can share information/CFPs, reach out for collaboration on papers or projects or panels, share opportunities, etc etc etc. As @kd1990 suggested, this can also be a place where applicants can reach out to current grad students and learn a bit about departments and research.

To kick us off, @Warelin, @kendalldinniene, and I are working on a spreadsheet of creative writing journals! If you're interested in helping out or have info to share, lmk.

Thank you for creating the thread! I think this will be an excellent resource for all. If I can help in anyway, let me know. I have a lot of information on Irish literature, particularly Irish Modernism in regards to opportunities and programs in New England and some beyond.

Will be listing out my current research moodboard :) I'll also add some other resources. My work is primarily within 20th/21st C American poetics and queer theory. If you want to collab, send me a PM. I'm always looking for more opportunities to explore literary research beyond my field.

Right now, I'm working on multiple projects. My larger project/overarching goal is tied to my SoP, which is the proposal of a queer poetic archive. The very basic aims of this larger project/line of thinking is to examine what happens by studying queer American poetics as a collective and also centering such poets in academic discourse. I especially utilize the term 'archive' as a rhetorical move to document and also contemplate the turn towards the archive in queer and literary study. What does it mean to place poets such as Hart Crane, Elizabeth Bishop, and many others as the primary voices in an archival study? (archival in the literal, literary, and rhetorical sense) And what does it mean to contemplate that a living, active 'queer archive' exists when such a term might very possibly be contradictory? And more importantly, what happens when we place queerness (especially queer poets) in the center of contemplating the archive? (can queerness be archived?) It's a very fluid project atm, but this is the 'what's at stake' behind everything I'm doing.

I'm currently actively researching on Frank Bidart, coming out narratives, the queer lyric, and queer language/queer coding. Additionally, I'll also be presenting on Hart Crane and Wallace Stevens this weekend, a geographical study of the poetics of Key West (Idea of Key West and Key West: An Island Sheaf) and the implications of that location from a post-colonial approach. A possible expansion of the latter project will very possibly involve Elizabeth Bishop.

A resource I'm looking into:
ONE Archives at USC (if you want to study a queer archive, this is one of the places to go. I believe they offer fellowships too)

I am also looking into presenting either or both at SAMLA and PAMLA this year. SAMLA is currently accepting CFPs rn so if you're down to be in Atlanta, here it is: https://samla.memberclicks.net/samla-90-cfps

PAMLA will be in San Diego this year, check out their page: https://pamla.org/2019

I'll have more specific info once I'm settled into my program. This is just the stuff I've gleaned in my free time while waiting. Hope this helps :)

Edited by ArcaMajora

My work is primarily 20th/21st century American cultures, currently thinking a lot about cultural productions and reproductions of whiteness.

Right now, I'm working on a few different projects. Working with a prof on creating a panel on short fiction engaging race in the "post-bellum pre-Harlem" window. Working on refining/clarifying/revising a paper I have a draft of on Aladdin and Pocahontas as case studies for the reproduction of whiteness, Western values, and Western cultural power (hoping to present it at MAPACA in November, but we'll see). Tentatively, my next research project/summer work will either be an investigation into the spiritualization and racialization what I'm currently calling "kooky sacred grandmothers" in children's animated films, or an exploration of how racial stereotypes operate in American reality TV competitions. 

I'll be presenting a Kristevan reading of Chaim Potok's My Name Is Asher Lev focusing on maternity, suffering, and discourse at SCMLA in Little Rock this October. Also will be presenting a Susan Stryker-driven reading of gender roles in Frankenstein at the IGA conference at Lewis University this July! 

My work, as mentioned above, focuses primarily on Irish Modernism with a postcolonial twist. I’ll be sending out an article examining Irish authors’ response to the loss of Gaelic. The essay, which features Said and Fanon postcolonial criticism and Kamau Brathwaite’s notion of Nation Language, focuses on the dichotomy between Irish nationalism/revivalism (Yeats, Gregory, Synge) and the burgeoning Modernist movement (Primarily Joyce) in terms of how to respond to England stripping the national language and the importance of language and dialect in regards to national identity. I’ll be starting UNH’s PhD in the fall and will continue my work while branching out to Irish Modernism’s legacy in postcolonial literature. James Joyce, at the moment, is the current lynchpin for my next projects, although I’ll include in some form W.B. Yeats, Samuel Beckett, Salman Rushdie, Derek Walcott, etc throughout my research. I also work with British Modernism in terms of Empire and colonialization, particularly Virginia Woolf and EM Forster.

I actually started my Master’s program as an Early Modernist, focusing on theatrical adaptations of Shakespeare’s female characters through the years. I also presented at a conference on Marlowe’s transformation of the tragic hero and it’s modern day equivalent in tv shows like Breaking Bad and Mad Men. Obviously, I didn’t stay in Early Modern. My advice is to keep an open mind because you may find your passion lays in another area of literature or theory. For me, it was a Modernism class which swayed me to me current passion. 

I sat conferences out this year to focus on applications, but in the past I’ve presented at SCMLA and MMLA, as well as some regional conferences.  

On 4/18/2019 at 9:35 PM, kd1990 said:

My work, as mentioned above, focuses primarily on Irish Modernism with a postcolonial twist. I’ll be sending out an article examining Irish authors’ response to the loss of Gaelic. The essay, which features Said and Fanon postcolonial criticism and Kamau Brathwaite’s notion of Nation Language, focuses on the dichotomy between Irish nationalism/revivalism (Yeats, Gregory, Synge) and the burgeoning Modernist movement (Primarily Joyce) in terms of how to respond to England stripping the national language and the importance of language and dialect in regards to national identity. I’ll be starting UNH’s PhD in the fall and will continue my work while branching out to Irish Modernism’s legacy in postcolonial literature. James Joyce, at the moment, is the current lynchpin for my next projects, although I’ll include in some form W.B. Yeats, Samuel Beckett, Salman Rushdie, Derek Walcott, etc throughout my research. I also work with British Modernism in terms of Empire and colonialization, particularly Virginia Woolf and EM Forster.

I actually started my Master’s program as an Early Modernist, focusing on theatrical adaptations of Shakespeare’s female characters through the years. I also presented at a conference on Marlowe’s transformation of the tragic hero and it’s modern day equivalent in tv shows like Breaking Bad and Mad Men. Obviously, I didn’t stay in Early Modern. My advice is to keep an open mind because you may find your passion lays in another area of literature or theory. For me, it was a Modernism class which swayed me to me current passion. 

I sat conferences out this year to focus on applications, but in the past I’ve presented at SCMLA and MMLA, as well as some regional conferences.  

I'm chairing the irish literature panel at SCMLA this year, and the deadline has been extended until April 30, if you're interested! 

Also, you are so my kind of person. I would love to talk more! I've been working pretty heavily with Lady Gregory and her influence on literary and political thought, but want to hear more about your work if you're willing ?

12 hours ago, victoriansimpkins said:

I'm chairing the irish literature panel at SCMLA this year, and the deadline has been extended until April 30, if you're interested! 

Also, you are so my kind of person. I would love to talk more! I've been working pretty heavily with Lady Gregory and her influence on literary and political thought, but want to hear more about your work if you're willing ?

Of course! I will send a PM with more details.

On 4/24/2019 at 9:16 PM, merry night wanderer said:

Any Romanticists out there want to talk about the State of the Field? 

I'm not hoping to start a PhD until Fall 2020 but would love to chat over a PM any time ? I've discovered recently I'm relatively uninterested in the state of the field and am strongly considering switching periods because of this, so maybe you can talk me out of it...(!)

Edit: just looked through your history and found we've chatted a little in the past about resurgence of formalisms in Romanticism – would love even more now to ask about your interests!

Edited by Indecisive Poet