Good friends in grad school?

Hello! Grad school is the first time in my entire life - literally - that I have been able to easily make friends. I now go to social events without having to force myself to because I actually enjoy them. This is completely new for me! I think there is something about being around people with similar interests and goals that makes bonding much easier.

Of course it will depend on the different personalities and the feel of the cohort itself, but in my experience once you get to grad school you have a "we're all in this together mentality". I get along with a lot of my cohort and I'm lucky to be going through this program with some of these awesome women! ❤️ . Personally I feel that the competitiveness that happens with undergrad is gone and that you're more willing to study and help one another out. 

16 minutes ago, soontobeslp2018 said:

Hate to be the downer, but my cohort doesn’t get along at all and has been that way since orientation. Lots of cliques, gossip, arguments and bad attitudes. Hopefully you have a better experience than I did!

That’s a bummer ?. Why do you think everyone got off on the wrong foot?

1 hour ago, soontobeslp2018 said:

Honestly I have no idea. It just seems that a lot of the girls just have  naturally bitter and bad attitudes 

What school do you go 2? Thats how it was at my undergrad. Alot of the girls had bad attitudes. I wish there was more men in the field so class would be more diverse and fun hahaha

All of my cohort gets along great! i think it had a lot to do with the fact that one of our first semester professors had us work in groups A LOT and she would randomly place us with eachother. We all got to know eachother really well, we even have a group whats app chat, everyone is in it and someone is always ready to lend a helping hand. of course there will be people you get along with better but i feel comfortable and confident to be around all of the people in my cohort!

• 2 weeks later...

My cohort had around 45 students and it became quite ”cliquey”. Part of it was the large group, the different geographic personalities, and the age-difference. Although there were cliques and some bitter people, I am there for my career and these are my colleagues. You’ll definitely find your group, whether that's the whole class or two other people...but the end goal is your career as a SLP.