Fall 2020 Developmental Psychology PhD

justacigar

12 minutes ago, cupidcello said:

Hey everyone!  Just wanted to give a good cheer and a little encouragement to everyone applying right now.  I hope everyone's hanging in there alright!  You can do it!! :D

Thanks for the encouragement! I am in the process of sending my statement of purpose and personal statement for each program to a few grad students I know, but I currently want to bang my head into a wall because two of my LOR writers and the person who is supposed to be helping me get application fee waivers have not responded to my emails and my anxiety is telling me that they hate me ?

37 minutes ago, goldenxpenguins said:

Thanks for the encouragement! I am in the process of sending my statement of purpose and personal statement for each program to a few grad students I know, but I currently want to bang my head into a wall because two of my LOR writers and the person who is supposed to be helping me get application fee waivers have not responded to my emails and my anxiety is telling me that they hate me ?

I'm in a similar(ish) boat!

Two of my letter writers haven't submitted anything yet, but I can guarantee that at least one hasn't forgotten about me. ?  The other?  I'm unsure--I need to send an e-mail to said person. Eep!

I'm also trying to get a fee waiver for one program, but I may very well not hear back from this place for a few more days. Double eep!

In any case, I hope your anxiety simmers down a bit!  You're taking the right steps by e-mailing--very proactive!  It's probably just a busy time with the semester winding down and apps being due soon-ish, but totally follow-up on said e-mails if/when you can! ^_^

1 hour ago, cupidcello said:

I'm in a similar(ish) boat!

Two of my letter writers haven't submitted anything yet, but I can guarantee that at least one hasn't forgotten about me. ?  The other?  I'm unsure--I need to send an e-mail to said person. Eep!

I'm also trying to get a fee waiver for one program, but I may very well not hear back from this place for a few more days. Double eep!

In any case, I hope your anxiety simmers down a bit!  You're taking the right steps by e-mailing--very proactive!  It's probably just a busy time with the semester winding down and apps being due soon-ish, but totally follow-up on said e-mails if/when you can! ^_^

The only letter writer that has submitted anything so far sat down one day and sent out the majority of my letters like the angel he is! 

I sent a reminder email yesterday to the two that have yet to submit anything and I know one of them has been pretty swamped lately, so I understand her being a little MIA. The other? I'm almost certain that she saw my email and just ignored it ?. I'm a pretty independent person by nature, so when I have to rely on people to help me get things done, it makes me so uneasy. 

2 minutes ago, goldenxpenguins said:

The only letter writer that has submitted anything so far sat down one day and sent out the majority of my letters like the angel he is! 

I sent a reminder email yesterday to the two that have yet to submit anything and I know one of them has been pretty swamped lately, so I understand her being a little MIA. The other? I'm almost certain that she saw my email and just ignored it ?. I'm a pretty independent person by nature, so when I have to rely on people to help me get things done, it makes me so uneasy. 

Arg, I understand your uneasy feelings.  Do your schools--at least--have a sort of "grace period" for LORs?  I feel that some schools tend to? :o

7 minutes ago, cupidcello said:

Arg, I understand your uneasy feelings.  Do your schools--at least--have a sort of "grace period" for LORs?  I feel that some schools tend to? :o

I'm actually not sure, I've been meaning to look into that! Although, some programs definitely want them submitted by the deadline. I know that my letter writers will come through, but I wish that they would answer my emails and just say "I got it" or "I'm working on it", so I can feel better lol. I already feel like I'm bothering them by sending reminder emails, but at this point, if I don't advocate for myself, who will?  

Edited by goldenxpenguins

Similar boat with the letters of rec! I had to rush and submit two applications yesterday because the recommendation links were going to be sent out AFTER i submit my application (that was such a pain in the butt). But, I am going to give another email update either tomorrow or Friday to each of my letter writers on which schools they have submitted and which they have yet to fill out. And give them the gentle nudge that I wanted to give them this update one week before the thanksgiving holiday, so they dont have to work on it during thanksgiving break. I also mentioned in each of my email updates to my letter writers asking if they received all recommendation links to all the schools I am applying for, so I can get a confirmation that they at least have that link, so I dont have to resend another one. So far that has been an effective approach and a good incentive for my letters writer to get it done before their vacation, but I can also see that some professors might wait until break if that is when they have free time to work on the recommendations

This letter of recommendation part was the most stressful part for me because it was part of the application that I had the least control over...

Anyways, I am sending you all positive vibes, and I am so excited to get this process wrapped up! Let's all finish strong, we are almost there! 

7 hours ago, emotional said:

Similar boat with the letters of rec! I had to rush and submit two applications yesterday because the recommendation links were going to be sent out AFTER i submit my application (that was such a pain in the butt). But, I am going to give another email update either tomorrow or Friday to each of my letter writers on which schools they have submitted and which they have yet to fill out. And give them the gentle nudge that I wanted to give them this update one week before the thanksgiving holiday, so they dont have to work on it during thanksgiving break. I also mentioned in each of my email updates to my letter writers asking if they received all recommendation links to all the schools I am applying for, so I can get a confirmation that they at least have that link, so I dont have to resend another one. So far that has been an effective approach and a good incentive for my letters writer to get it done before their vacation, but I can also see that some professors might wait until break if that is when they have free time to work on the recommendations

This letter of recommendation part was the most stressful part for me because it was part of the application that I had the least control over...

Anyways, I am sending you all positive vibes, and I am so excited to get this process wrapped up! Let's all finish strong, we are almost there! 

I totally feel your pain on having to rush and submit applications because the recommendation links will not be sent until after you send them in! That happened for one of my schools and for the other, since I am applying to two programs, the system won't let me start a new application until the first one is submitted. I'm trying to get those two out by Tuesday, so that my letter writers can get the links before the Thanksgiving break. Two weeks ago, I asked one of them if she received the links and she said yes and made a note to start working on them, but has yet to submit any ?

23 hours ago, goldenxpenguins said:

I'm actually not sure, I've been meaning to look into that! Although, some programs definitely want them submitted by the deadline. I know that my letter writers will come through, but I wish that they would answer my emails and just say "I got it" or "I'm working on it", so I can feel better lol. I already feel like I'm bothering them by sending reminder emails, but at this point, if I don't advocate for myself, who will?  

Agreed!  We're our own best advocates!

23 hours ago, emotional said:

I'm definitely about to send my two of my letter writers a quick and gentle reminder (2 submitted, 2 not submitted)...  I have a feeling that these particular letter writers are looking to submit their letters in one sitting, but I'll still send off a reminder as it seems to be good form.  (I'm in a fortunate position where letter writers can send off LORs before I submit applications.)

I'm hesitant to send hit "submit" on my applications until I have their LORs sent in (preferably from both)...or November 30th.  Whichever comes first, honestly.  I feel badly to give my letter writers the extra nudge as the semester's coming to a rapid close.  I can only imagine how busy they are.  Still, they did agree to write letters, so I suppose I'm doing the right thing by sending a kind reminder off!

----

As for my applications, everything's looking alright.  Save for LORs and an answer to a fee waiver request, I believe I'm in a spot where I could submit my applications. Insanity! :o

Thanks for the good vibes and support, all!  We're inching closer to the finish line, and I'm excited for us all!

The two LOR writers who were not answering my emails finally responded! One of them said that she will send them out and my other writer said that she saw my email and made a mental note of it. I'm still waiting for the person who is helping me get application fee waivers to respond, but my anxiety is slightly lower now...somewhat! 

58 minutes ago, goldenxpenguins said:

The two LOR writers who were not answering my emails finally responded! One of them said that she will send them out and my other writer said that she saw my email and made a mental note of it. I'm still waiting for the person who is helping me get application fee waivers to respond, but my anxiety is slightly lower now...somewhat! 

Yay!! Less anxiety is so good! ^_^

I've actually submitted 2/3 applications just now!  Just waiting for 2 LOR writers to submit their letters (they're aware of my deadlines), but honestly, my part is just about done here.  I'm also waiting for a (possible) application fee waiver, but I'd be OK with paying if I don't get a waiver.  I totally understand that anxious--but slightly less! :)-- feeling.

14 minutes ago, cupidcello said:

Yay!! Less anxiety is so good! ^_^

I've actually submitted 2/3 applications just now!  Just waiting for 2 LOR writers to submit their letters (they're aware of my deadlines), but honestly, my part is just about done here.  I'm also waiting for a (possible) application fee waiver, but I'd be OK with paying if I don't get a waiver.  I totally understand that anxious--but slightly less! :)-- feeling.

That's great that you have submitted most of your applications! I got my official GRE scores this morning so I can finally send them to my schools. I also sent the grad students that I know my statement of purpose and personal statement for each program and I'm just waiting for them to tell me that they suck so I can go cry ?

15 hours ago, goldenxpenguins said:

That's great that you have submitted most of your applications! I got my official GRE scores this morning so I can finally send them to my schools. I also sent the grad students that I know my statement of purpose and personal statement for each program and I'm just waiting for them to tell me that they suck so I can go cry ?

Thanks!!

Yay for official GRE scores!

Aw geez, I bet your documents are great! Honestly, in my experience, when I get constructive critiques, I feel my readers truly care about what I’m writing—which is something to feel good about, IMO. :)

2 hours ago, cupidcello said:

Thanks!!

Yay for official GRE scores!

Aw geez, I bet your documents are great! Honestly, in my experience, when I get constructive critiques, I feel my readers truly care about what I’m writing—which is something to feel good about, IMO. :)

That's a good point! Whenever I get feedback on something I write, I always try to remember that the person is critiquing my work and not me. I also went to the office of the person who is helping me get application fee waivers earlier and caught him right as he was about to leave! 

2 hours ago, goldenxpenguins said:

That's a good point! Whenever I get feedback on something I write, I always try to remember that the person is critiquing my work and not me. I also went to the office of the person who is helping me get application fee waivers earlier and caught him right as he was about to leave! 

Very true.  Also: Woo-hoo!

Woohoo! congrats on that big step of submitting your first application @goldenxpenguins!

I am on my last SOP, and planning to submit my remaining 6 applications when I go home for the Thanksgiving holiday. Thought to myself that it would be a nice mental and spiritual boost to get these applications sent out after I recharge with family and friends who are rooting me on!

It's so wild to think that these applications will be finally done within a couple of days! AHH! The finish line is in sight!!

2 hours ago, emotional said:

Woohoo! congrats on that big step of submitting your first application @goldenxpenguins!

I am on my last SOP, and planning to submit my remaining 6 applications when I go home for the Thanksgiving holiday. Thought to myself that it would be a nice mental and spiritual boost to get these applications sent out after I recharge with family and friends who are rooting me on!

It's so wild to think that these applications will be finally done within a couple of days! AHH! The finish line is in sight!!

Thank you! I can't wait until all of my applications are submitted so I can finally focus on other things (like getting through my Netflix list). Have a great Thanksgiving! 

@emotional and @goldenxpenguins: You're both so much closer to being done!  Yeah!! :D

One downside for submitting my materials a tad early is that I'm checking my application statuses here and there--when I'd rather not check right now (as none of my deadlines have even passed).  I was advised to find a healthy hobby(ies) to pass the time.  (Happily, I might have found at least one. ^_^)

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone celebrating!

@emotional I noticed that Cornell is on your list of schools and I wanted to ask you if this was for their Developmental Psychology PhD in the Human Development department? If so, did you submit a writing sample with your application? It doesn't say anything on the website about submitting one, but I wanted to since there is an option. However, I don't know if submitting one will make me look like I don't know how to follow directions. Any thoughts? Thank you! 

3 hours ago, goldenxpenguins said:

@emotional I noticed that Cornell is on your list of schools and I wanted to ask you if this was for their Developmental Psychology PhD in the Human Development department? If so, did you submit a writing sample with your application? It doesn't say anything on the website about submitting one, but I wanted to since there is an option. However, I don't know if submitting one will make me look like I don't know how to follow directions. Any thoughts? Thank you! 

yup I am applying to the dev psych program in their HD department! and yes, writing sample is required:

"Admission to the PhD program in Human Development is based on academic merit and fit with the research strengths of the HD faculty. Those with a background in the social sciences and in research methods and statistics are encouraged to apply by December 1st for fall admission.

• Supporting materials: We ask for a statement of purpose, writing sample, and resume so we can learn more about you and your interest in our program."

You can find this in their FAQ's here when you scroll down: https://www.human.cornell.edu/hd/academics/graduate

5 minutes ago, emotional said:

yup I am applying to the dev psych program in their HD department! and yes, writing sample is required:

"Admission to the PhD program in Human Development is based on academic merit and fit with the research strengths of the HD faculty. Those with a background in the social sciences and in research methods and statistics are encouraged to apply by December 1st for fall admission.

• Supporting materials: We ask for a statement of purpose, writing sample, and resume so we can learn more about you and your interest in our program."

You can find this in their FAQ's here when you scroll down: https://www.human.cornell.edu/hd/academics/graduate

Thank you so much, I forgot that information was in the FAQ!

Hey all! I submitted all my applications today and noticed that some schools show my Official GRE score as “verified” but some others don’t.

I sent the scores during 12/19-12/21 and the “verified” schools received them between 23rd-25th.

I am not entirely worried cause some schools say it may take 48 hours until the official scores show up after submitting the application. But I am still worried, you know ? Anyone knows what usually happens?

Also, is anyone applying to Michigan Ann Arbor? I sweat that I didn’t see anywhere on App Checklist/in the actual online app to upload my unofficial GRE reports. But in the preview-your-application-pdf thing, the last page had a section about uploading unofficial GRE scores?!

I will call the psych department on Monday but am freaking out.

4 hours ago, jiraljiral said:

Hey all! I submitted all my applications today and noticed that some schools show my Official GRE score as “verified” but some others don’t.

I sent the scores during 12/19-12/21 and the “verified” schools received them between 23rd-25th.

I am not entirely worried cause some schools say it may take 48 hours until the official scores show up after submitting the application. But I am still worried, you know ? Anyone knows what usually happens?

Also, is anyone applying to Michigan Ann Arbor? I sweat that I didn’t see anywhere on App Checklist/in the actual online app to upload my unofficial GRE reports. But in the preview-your-application-pdf thing, the last page had a section about uploading unofficial GRE scores?!

I will call the psych department on Monday but am freaking out.

Hi! Congratulations on submitting all of your applications! I am also applying to Michigan and I did not see anywhere on the application to upload unofficial GRE score reports either. I think that may only apply to applicants who had to take the Psychology GRE Subject Test. If you look here: https://lsa.umich.edu/psych/prospective-students/graduate/application-procedures.html and scroll down to GRE, then "Clinical Science Area", it says:

GRE Subject Test: You will be asked to submit your overall score and percentile rank and upload a PDF copy of your score report into the application. If you do not have your score when you submit your application, please email your score report, your name, and UMID number to psych.saa@umich.edu on or before December 1st. This applies to the subject test ONLY. 

Hope this helps! 

Edited by goldenxpenguins