Fall 2020 Developmental Psychology PhD

justacigar

How did you guys email the POI/department about rejecting the admission offer?

I am really grateful for every offer and would like to show that whilst rejecting the offer. Now that I have mostly narrowed down my options, I would like to inform those schools soon so that the waitlisted applicants can get the opportunity asap.

Please share how you phrased it or if any other thread has this discussion going on!

2 hours ago, devpsych2020 said:

I am really grateful for every offer and would like to show that whilst rejecting the offer. Now that I have mostly narrowed down my options, I would like to inform those schools soon so that the waitlisted applicants can get the opportunity asap.

Please share how you phrased it or if any other thread has this discussion going on!

I would suggest doing it over the phone. 

I would suggest that while you were honored to have received the offer and really impressed by the PI's interest and the program at the school you've decided to move forward with another institution that is a better fit for you and that you wish them the best of luck in finding a graduate student that fits their needs. 

But yes, definitely decline as soon as possible. Some programs actually have deadlines of how late professors can offer so you don't want to keep the professor from having the opportunity of getting another grad student. 

On 2/4/2020 at 7:17 PM, psychpsychpsych said:

Oh!  Do you want to let me know who you applied for? 

Actually just got my rejection email today! Not sure why mine was almost two weeks later than the rest, but good to finally have an answer.

On 2/10/2020 at 1:35 PM, devpsych2020 said:

It took me a really long time to create an email template for declining an admissions offer or when retracting an interview. I was very honest and noted that I am grateful to have received an interview or offer and that there are recent developments (such as getting an admissions offer from another school that you rank higher) that you anticipate more likely to commit to, while also stating you'd like to decline the offer or withdraw your application. Also, I sent my declines via email and not over the phone and the PIs at the institutions were pretty receptive-- given that in academia, such decisions aren't necessarily personal rejections, but more so that you're choosing what's the best fit for you and your career path and most PIs are understanding of that.

On 1/11/2020 at 5:46 PM, joy66888 said:

Thanks to the people who replied to my post! Just a brief introduction of myself and trying to find people who are applying to same schools/share similar interests. It is my first-time applying for doctoral programs, and I think I am ready to accept any result since I don't have a master's degree and already learnt a lot from the process. International student, Undergraduate Major GPA: 4.0; Overall GPA: 3.82 while finishing schoolwork in three years. Two conference second author. GRE: 155+168 +4.0  ?

Ph.D Programs:

• University of Washington, Learning sciences and human development
  • Ohio State University, Human development and family science
  • University of Wisconsin - Madison, Education policy
  • University of Nebraska - Lincoln, Child, Youth and family studies
  • New York University, Developmental Psychology
  • University of Pennsylvania, Interdisciplinary studies in human development
  • University of Virginia, Educational psychology (applied developmental science)

Until now, I received one formal on-campus interview invitation from UNL and had one informal interview with one professor from OSU in November. Has not heard from any other schools yet.

Did you interview for Child Development/Early Childhood Education or Global Family Health and Wellbeing at UNL? I was accepted for the Global Family Health and Wellbeing track, so maybe we will be seeing each other ?

I just heard back from the last of my schools! It was a rejection, but I don't care at all because (to put it tactfully) the program came across as very lackluster during the interview (students came across as apathetic/arrogant, faculty argued vehemently in front of us -- it was weird). Also, my parents really wanted me to go there (to be closer to home) so I'm thrilled that this school isn't an option!

Anyways. I am so so glad that the waiting is over. I feel free. 

On 2/10/2020 at 2:22 PM, psycstudent2018 said:

I would suggest doing it over the phone. 

I would suggest that while you were honored to have received the offer and really impressed by the PI's interest and the program at the school you've decided to move forward with another institution that is a better fit for you and that you wish them the best of luck in finding a graduate student that fits their needs. 

But yes, definitely decline as soon as possible. Some programs actually have deadlines of how late professors can offer so you don't want to keep the professor from having the opportunity of getting another grad student. 

On 2/12/2020 at 8:03 AM, Moo55Moo said:

It took me a really long time to create an email template for declining an admissions offer or when retracting an interview. I was very honest and noted that I am grateful to have received an interview or offer and that there are recent developments (such as getting an admissions offer from another school that you rank higher) that you anticipate more likely to commit to, while also stating you'd like to decline the offer or withdraw your application. Also, I sent my declines via email and not over the phone and the PIs at the institutions were pretty receptive-- given that in academia, such decisions aren't necessarily personal rejections, but more so that you're choosing what's the best fit for you and your career path and most PIs are understanding of that.

Thank you both for sharing!

Did anyone else get an interview invite to Georgia State’s Dev program on the 21st? I got the invitation and was told, “more details to follow” about a month ago and I still haven’t heard anything- time, place, schedule, etc. Considering that the interview is in 4 days, I don’t know what I should do. Is this normal? 

28 minutes ago, Phil4192 said:

Did anyone else get an interview invite to Georgia State’s Dev program on the 21st? I got the invitation and was told, “more details to follow” about a month ago and I still haven’t heard anything- time, place, schedule, etc. Considering that the interview is in 4 days, I don’t know what I should do. Is this normal? 

I would follow up at this point with an email back to ask about details.

On 2/10/2020 at 12:35 PM, devpsych2020 said:

Once I got accepted at one of my top three schools I declined offers for admission and interviews to other schools that weren't the other two of my top three. This is the basis for the emails I sent:

[Dr./Etc...],

Thank you so much for your interest in my application and inviting me to [interview for/attend] your program.

I regret to inform you that I will not be [interviewing for/attending] your program, but hope to cross paths with the amazing faculty and students at [University/College] in the future.

Best regards,
[Me]

10 hours ago, Phil4192 said:

I didn't apply there, but I would suggest contacting the coordinator?

Sooo... how long should you wait to hear back? I interviewed at my top choice two weeks ago and it's been radio silence since (which I'm assuming means I've been waitlisted) However, just a few days after the interview I was accepted into another program. I emailed the POI at my top a week later  to provide her an update that while I received another offer I am still eager to hear news from that university. I haven't heard back.

I want to be considerate and make a timely decision here. How long should I wait to hear news from other programs before committing to the offer I have on the table? 

2 hours ago, psycstudent2018 said:

Sooo... how long should you wait to hear back? I interviewed at my top choice two weeks ago and it's been radio silence since (which I'm assuming means I've been waitlisted) However, just a few days after the interview I was accepted into another program. I emailed the POI at my top a week later  to provide her an update that while I received another offer I am still eager to hear news from that university. I haven't heard back.

I want to be considerate and make a timely decision here. How long should I wait to hear news from other programs before committing to the offer I have on the table? 

I have heard back from the 3 schools I interviewed at in the week following my interview. However,  I was told to expect to hear back later than that. Not sure what is common. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just formally accepted my offer to Michigan!! Still can't believe it! I'm so excited about the program and my advisor and can't wait to get started!! Anyone else headed to Ann Arbor?

Good luck to those still waiting! I'm SOOO thrilled to be done and hope your waiting ends soon (and with the outcome you desire)!!