Fall 2020 Developmental Psychology PhD

justacigar

15 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Do you have to have premium to see who is viewing your profile? 

Admittedly I'm not very active on LinkedIn, I should probably up my game a bit. 

I don't have premium either but it always shows me the regions people who have viewed my posts are in! 

1 hour ago, emotional said:

@Ravenwood8 congratulations!! that is exciting news!!!

*now frantically staring at my phone manifesting a phone call to come*

SAME

1 hour ago, Ravenwood8 said:

Just dev. Not DPCS

OMG Congrats!!!!!! Would you mind telling us any relevant information you received? Is everyone who is being accepted getting this call? Waitlist? Are you special? 

Sorry. The amount of panic is unreal.

15 minutes ago, justacigar said:

LOL I snorted at this ?

Glad I made someone laugh (snort) ?

But for real. I am dying. Please @Ravenwood8. I know I posted like 13 seconds ago but. Prease come bakc. xc

EDIT: Would you mind sharing who called (ICD grad admin or specific POI), whether your portal status changed to Accepted, and if they told you when the emails would go out?

Edited by devpsych2020

15 minutes ago, devpsych2020 said:

But for real. I am dying. Please @Ravenwood8. I know I posted like 13 seconds ago but. Prease come bakc. xc

EDIT: Would you mind sharing who called (ICD grad admin or specific POI) and whether your portal status changed to Accepted?

Also obsessively checking this page for more information! Also congratulations @Ravenwood8

Edited by n.tux.9

18 minutes ago, devpsych2020 said:

EDIT: Would you mind sharing who called (ICD grad admin or specific POI), whether your portal status changed to Accepted, and if they told you when the emails would go out?

Sorry everyone! I was cleaning data and in the zone. I am definitely not special! I am not sure if everyone will get a call but I was told that I would receive official notice and funding information in the next few days. It was one of the PI's I listed in my statement that called. The portal hasn't been updated yet.

1 minute ago, Ravenwood8 said:

Sorry everyone! I was cleaning data and in the zone. I am definitely not special! I am not sure if everyone will get a call but I was told that I would receive official notice and funding information in the next few days. It was one of the PI's I listed in my statement that called. The portal hasn't been updated yet.

Thank you so much!! Congrats tons and tons!

10 minutes ago, devpsych2020 said:

I would seriously get a heart attack. Would you mind sharing the POI's name via PM? Sorry for bothering you too much...

I can PM the one that called me but I indicated several in my statement. I'm not necessarily accepted to work with the one that called.

Just now, Ravenwood8 said:

I can PM the one that called me but I indicated several in my statement. I'm not necessarily accepted to work with the one that called.

That would be great! I did the same to appeal to their community mentorship model. Just wanna know if the one who called you is my "primary" ?

34 minutes ago, Ravenwood8 said:

Hi! If you don't mind, can you share your POI's name with me as well? 

Also congratulations again!

Edited by n.tux.9

8 hours ago, n.tux.9 said:

Are any of you applying to Human Development programs as well as Developmental psych? I applied to two, but my background is completely in Psych. I don't know the difference and I would love any of your input or experiences. 

Me! I also have a psych background. My mentor said the differences aren't major, and many people with HDFS PhDs become psych profs and vice versa. Only differences I've noticed (as a fellow applicant with no real experience as a student in either program lol) so far is:

-psych programs have in-person interview and the HDFS programs I applied to have an admitted students weekend instead

-The psych mentors I applied to work with do more correlational research using large, diverse datasets that seek to understand developmental processes (and this may be specific to my own research interests). The HDFS mentors also do this but some of them also do more intervention/prevention research that I haven't really seen in the research of the psych mentors (or at least as much). Some HDFS research (at least of what I've looked into) might be more applied, but I think that really depends on the mentor. 

-In psych, you major in developmental and also take some psych classes in other areas of psychology. In HDFS, some programs have certain specializations, but all of your coursework is human development-centered

Of course, I'm only an applicant so I can't say much but for me, if I get accepted into a psych program following interview, I will largely base the decision off of what research I want to do and obviously the vibes I get from the program as a whole. I think my research interests are focused enough that I don't necessarily care to get a slightly more comprehensive psych education that I'd get in a dev psych program, but I'm really open to both. In the end, from what I've heard, career options are rather similar. 

36 minutes ago, Scared StringBean said:

Me! I also have a psych background. My mentor said the differences aren't major, and many people with HDFS PhDs become psych profs and vice versa. Only differences I've noticed (as a fellow applicant with no real experience as a student in either program lol) so far is:

-psych programs have in-person interview and the HDFS programs I applied to have an admitted students weekend instead

-The psych mentors I applied to work with do more correlational research using large, diverse datasets that seek to understand developmental processes (and this may be specific to my own research interests). The HDFS mentors also do this but some of them also do more intervention/prevention research that I haven't really seen in the research of the psych mentors (or at least as much). Some HDFS research (at least of what I've looked into) might be more applied, but I think that really depends on the mentor. 

-In psych, you major in developmental and also take some psych classes in other areas of psychology. In HDFS, some programs have certain specializations, but all of your coursework is human development-centered

Of course, I'm only an applicant so I can't say much but for me, if I get accepted into a psych program following interview, I will largely base the decision off of what research I want to do and obviously the vibes I get from the program as a whole. I think my research interests are focused enough that I don't necessarily care to get a slightly more comprehensive psych education that I'd get in a dev psych program, but I'm really open to both. In the end, from what I've heard, career options are rather similar. 

Thank you for sharing all your experiences with me! 

47 minutes ago, devpsych2020 said:

I promise this is my last post about dying inside due to Minnesota.

But this. Me until (and probs after) the announcement.

aa.jpg

I 100% agree. I can't believe only one person has posted about it. Fingers crossed their POI is just more on top of things and we will all hear in the next few days.