Fall 2020 Developmental Psychology PhD

justacigar

On 1/23/2020 at 8:47 AM, doa.11 said:

Anyone applied to Notre Dame? I am quite blind to their admissions process and can't find enough information about it other than one result post back from early December.

4 hours ago, doa.11 said:

Anyone knows what's going on at Rochester, U Washington, or UIUC?

I have similar confusions! Just DMed you about them.

I can't make an interview weekend at a "top" program (had already confirmed another visit) and they won't pay for me to come another time (which is a bit frustrating, since they know we are likely to have conflicts). They said they would "feel bad" making me pay my own way and have offered for me to connect to department faculty and grad students via Skype, but am I totally screwed? Has anyone gotten into a top 5 program doing just virtual interviews? Part of me feels like they are just annoyed that I'm not coming since my PI told me she's never had a candidate miss interview weekend (which I find hard to believe over the course of a 30 year career).

1 hour ago, PsychPhdBound said:

I can't make an interview weekend at a "top" program (had already confirmed another visit) and they won't pay for me to come another time (which is a bit frustrating, since they know we are likely to have conflicts). They said they would "feel bad" making me pay my own way and have offered for me to connect to department faculty and grad students via Skype, but am I totally screwed? Has anyone gotten into a top 5 program doing just virtual interviews? Part of me feels like they are just annoyed that I'm not coming since my PI told me she's never had a candidate miss interview weekend (which I find hard to believe over the course of a 30 year career).

Hi! Totally showing up out of the blue after anonymously following this forum. But I think this is always a tough choice, because invites flurry in so randomly. I think it speaks to the program/PI that they are being inflexible. I think you have to weigh what you value in a program versus the other program you have already committed yourself to going to interview at. From my mentors, I have heard that skype interviewing in place of an in-person interview can be interpreted as lack of interest, lack of commitment, and they feel like they don't get a whole sense for your person. In the same respect, some people quite literally don't have the means to pay to attend all of their in-person interviews. If financial means aren't an issue for you, maybe push on coming an alternate weekend. My experiences so far with various programs has been wonderful in understanding that you may have received other interviews from other schools and that's okay.

A random question to anyone who's been to in-person interview events: How internationally/racially diverse were your peer interviewees?

I've been to one so far and out of about 25 interviewees (across all areas), there was only one international/non-white applicant. Rest were all phenotypically Caucasian/domestic applicants, including myself. Perhaps it was a coincident this year or the school's located in Midwest, etc, but just was a bit surprised to think about it during the department's presentation about the diversity effort.

I simply got curious and wanted to hear about other's experiences. I do NOT mean to stir up any negativity, discrimination, micro-aggression, or else. I am hoping to meet applicants with colorful background at my other interviews.

Edited by doa.11
typo

6 minutes ago, doa.11 said:

A random question to anyone who's been to in-person interview events: How internationally/racially diverse were your peer interviewees?

I've been to one so far and out of about 25 interviewees (across all areas), there was only one international/non-white applicant. Rest were all phenotypically Caucasian/domestic applicants, including myself. Perhaps it was a coincident this year or the school's located in Midwest, etc, but just was a bit surprised to think about it during the department's presentation about the diversity effort.

I simply got curious and wanted to hear about other's experiences. I do NOT mean to stir up any negativity, discrimination, micro-aggression, or else. I am hoping to meet applicants with colorful background at my other interviews.

I am an international applicant. I contacted to POIs ahead of time. Some of the professors replied my e-mails and said that this year it is less likely to accept internationals because they cost more than domestics. I did not read that it is discrimination and I can get if they have some budget problems or etc. 

Also it is not possible for all applicant to fly to US since the costs or visa. Maybe they can get online interviews.

Hope that's help.

4 hours ago, bht said:

I am an international applicant. I contacted to POIs ahead of time. Some of the professors replied my e-mails and said that this year it is less likely to accept internationals because they cost more than domestics. I did not read that it is discrimination and I can get if they have some budget problems or etc. 

Also it is not possible for all applicant to fly to US since the costs or visa. Maybe they can get online interviews.

Hope that's help.

Thanks for sharing! I did wonder about the hassle/extra cost of international travel but totally missed that the international students would cost much more than domestics... And I also agree that the matter is not discriminatory and highly depends on more objective factors as you discussed (budgeting, etc).

Thanks again for sharing and best luck with you apps!!

5 hours ago, doa.11 said:

I really appreciate this post so much.

I myself am a person of color, and ethnic/racial diversity will be a factor as I weigh in my options. I will be taking note how diverse the graduate students, prospective students, and faculty/administrators are in the institution/program when I interview/visit. I even communicated this to one of the potential advisor that I would be working with. It's tricky because my whole career/academic trajectory thus far, I have been usually the only male person of color in my developmental psych courses both on the undergrad and master's level, which made me start to accept that this is just the norm... but it's really encouraging and affirming to hear another prospective graduate student acknowledge this.

I'm curious to see how this pans out when I actually get to visit!

1 hour ago, cupidcello said:

Cornell is an official rejection for me (I posted on the results page.).  I'm happy I don't have to assume rejection anymore, honestly.

Did you ask the coordinator about your application status or did you get an mass email? I checked my application online and no updates there

38 minutes ago, emotional said:

Did you ask the coordinator about your application status or did you get an mass email? I checked my application online and no updates there

I received an e-mail this morning (unsure if it was a mass e-mail--probably was). I did check my application, however, and I didn't see any update there.

15 minutes ago, cupidcello said:

I received an e-mail this morning (unsure if it was a mass e-mail--probably was). I did check my application, however, and I didn't see any update there.

My official rejection came later haha, I was also anticipating this rejection since I didn't get an invite. No hard feelings at all because this was actually last on my list since it wasn't that great of a research fit. Onto the next one!

43 minutes ago, emotional said:

My official rejection came later haha, I was also anticipating this rejection since I didn't get an invite. No hard feelings at all because this was actually last on my list since it wasn't that great of a research fit. Onto the next one!

Yes--that's a good mentality to have--onward!

53 minutes ago, devpsych2020 said:

Anyone applied to U of Washington? Don't think I saw any results for developmental.

I did but then the person I applied to work with decided to take a position at another uni. My app is still being held though apparently so I'm not sure what that means.

4 hours ago, devpsych2020 said:

Anyone applied to U of Washington? Don't think I saw any results for developmental.

I am also waiting!

3 hours ago, DevPsychPhD said:

I did but then the person I applied to work with decided to take a position at another uni. My app is still being held though apparently so I'm not sure what that means.

Would you mind messaging me the POI information as well? Thank you in advance.