Fall 2020 Developmental Psychology PhD

justacigar

On 1/17/2020 at 11:51 AM, jh94 said:

Double-posting because I just received the email! Invited to University of Pennsylvania's PhD in Interdisciplinary Studies in Human Development Doctoral Candidate Weekend. Excited! 

Congrats!!! I also applied but did not hear anything from the program. I think I am not qualified lol. Have a nice interview!!!

On 1/17/2020 at 7:20 AM, n.tux.9 said:

Mine is that same weekend! But I already sent my flight info to the first school. The other school hasn't actually offered me an interview yet, but my POI emailed me yesterday and basically said it has been a while since we talked but after viewing my application she is still really interested in working with me and that I would hear from the admission committee soon regarding an interview. I took that to mean I will probably get an interview. 

But since I already sent my flight info to the other school I emailed her and asked if I could come another time if I were to be offered an interview. I know a lot of places with do skype interviews but I really feel like I need to see the place.

I totally agree! I'll definitely need to visit in person. I've asked the second school, even though it's "ranked" #2, if there is an option for an alternate interview/visiting date. My advisors think I should have asked the other school to move, but I had already committed and am equally interested, so I'm rolling the dice and going with my gut. I know ranking matters, but so does fit and knowing I'm at a program that really wants me. We'll see what happens. First interview is next week (SUPER EXCITED) and in about a month this craziness will all be over! Of course then we'll have the craziness of grad school ?

On 1/17/2020 at 11:51 AM, jh94 said:

Double-posting because I just received the email! Invited to University of Pennsylvania's PhD in Interdisciplinary Studies in Human Development Doctoral Candidate Weekend. Excited! 

Congrats!!! Double-triple post away with this news!! Mind sharing your POI, and good luck on your interviews

On 1/14/2020 at 7:32 PM, ResilientDreams said:

Current Cornell student. Invites have not been extended yet and they are going really slowly. 

On 1/14/2020 at 7:35 PM, goldenxpenguins said:

Hey, I hope your first year is going well! I figured they were going slowly, thanks for the update! 

Looking at the results page, it looks like a few people heard back about Cornell's interview weekend. Are we assuming all invites have gone out at this point?

Edited by HumDev3358

12 minutes ago, HumDev3358 said:

Looking at the results page, it looks like a few people heard back about Cornell's interview weekend. Are we assuming all invites have gone out at this point?

All invites may have already gone out, but I'm not sure. I'm thinking that if we don't hear back about anymore going out this week, then it's probably a rejection since their interview weekend is coming up soon. I want to call them sometime this week to ask, but I'm scared to hear the response lol. 

2 hours ago, goldenxpenguins said:

All invites may have already gone out, but I'm not sure. I'm thinking that if we don't hear back about anymore going out this week, then it's probably a rejection since their interview weekend is coming up soon. I want to call them sometime this week to ask, but I'm scared to hear the response lol. 

I haven't heard back, and I've been thinking the same thing...  If we don't get a response this week, I'll also assume a rejection.

15 minutes ago, cupidcello said:

I haven't heard back, and I've been thinking the same thing...  If we don't get a response this week, I'll also assume a rejection.

I hope you hear back with an interview invite this week! 

Hi everyone,

All my applications are almost done. I applied six programs. I noticed that Northern Illinois University's deadline is Feb 1. Is there anyone who applied or think about applying? Because I have no idea about the university. Every insight is valuable. Because I am on a tight budget and so for I only got one interview invite, so I cannot decide.

Any ideas?

Cheers

On 1/21/2020 at 2:51 AM, bht said:

Hi everyone,

All my applications are almost done. I applied six programs. I noticed that Northern Illinois University's deadline is Feb 1. Is there anyone who applied or think about applying? Because I have no idea about the university. Every insight is valuable. Because I am on a tight budget and so for I only got one interview invite, so I cannot decide.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Hi! I also applied to NIU, and I am kinda confused about what to think. 

My parents both went their for undergrad and my Grandpa was a professor there (a million years ago), so I have a personal and emotional connection to that school. I am from Illinois, and in my opinion NIU is not up to the same caliber as most of the schools I am applying to, so I never expected to find a research there who I would really want to work with. However, the PI I am working with now recommended the POI I applied to work with  and has said that they are an excellent researcher. My PI absolutely would not say that if it was not true.

I don't know if this will help you decide at all but I hope it helps some. Feel free to private message me if you want more information: POI, my PI, etc. 

2 minutes ago, joy66888 said:

Can the person who posted the interview invitation from NYU developmental psychology program send the initial of your POI? Thanks!

Me too if you don’t mind 

2 hours ago, doa.11 said:

Anyone applied to Notre Dame? I am quite blind to their admissions process and can't find enough information about it other than one result post back from early December.

Sorry for a consecutive post - I can't find a way to edit my previous post!

I would also appreciate it if anyone is willing to share their thoughts/info on the general sense/reputation of ND's psych phd program. I am very interested in the school and would like to know more than what the school proposes, however, could not find much casual opinions about it (e.g., past posts on Grad Cafe). Please do share!

For everyone who applied to UC Riverside, does the application portal say that your transcript was received? For a while now, I noticed that mine says that my transcript is missing. I find that very strange because I submitted it along with my application, so they should have it. I just thought that the system was taking longer than usual to update, but now I'm wondering if my application was even reviewed. I know that they already sent out their acceptances, but should I contact the program coordinator or don't bother? Thanks! 

well folks, 

got my first official rejection earlier today (which i was fine with), and my first official acceptance a couple minutes ago!!! if anyone wants to know poi's initials for colorado state applied dev sci phd, feel free to pm me. i applied to two and i'm not really sure which one accepted me (my interests align well with both of them).

? i feel like i can finally sleep knowing i have at least one acceptance now

17 hours ago, goldenxpenguins said:

For everyone who applied to UC Riverside, does the application portal say that your transcript was received? For a while now, I noticed that mine says that my transcript is missing. I find that very strange because I submitted it along with my application, so they should have it. I just thought that the system was taking longer than usual to update, but now I'm wondering if my application was even reviewed. I know that they already sent out their acceptances, but should I contact the program coordinator or don't bother? Thanks! 

Never mind, I ended up emailing the program coordinator and found out that I got rejected lol. It's fine ?

On 1/23/2020 at 12:56 PM, doa.11 said:

Sorry for a consecutive post - I can't find a way to edit my previous post!

I would also appreciate it if anyone is willing to share their thoughts/info on the general sense/reputation of ND's psych phd program. I am very interested in the school and would like to know more than what the school proposes, however, could not find much casual opinions about it (e.g., past posts on Grad Cafe). Please do share!

I was the one who posted about the decisions coming out February 3rd/4th, and i heard that directly from a prof there. They're meeting then to discuss all of the students (who they interviewed via skype)

On 1/23/2020 at 9:47 AM, doa.11 said:

Anyone applied to Notre Dame? I am quite blind to their admissions process and can't find enough information about it other than one result post back from early December.

I applied and haven't heard anything. From the results post, I assumed a rejection.

3 hours ago, fake187 said:

I was the one who posted about the decisions coming out February 3rd/4th, and i heard that directly from a prof there. They're meeting then to discuss all of the students (who they interviewed via skype)

3 hours ago, n.tux.9 said:

I applied and haven't heard anything. From the results post, I assumed a rejection.

Thank you both for sharing!