Fall 2020 Developmental Psychology PhD

justacigar

Are any of you applying to Human Development programs as well as Developmental psych? I applied to two, but my background is completely in Psych. I don't know the difference and I would love any of your input or experiences. 

Edited by n.tux.9

30 minutes ago, n.tux.9 said:

Are any of you applying to Human Development programs as well as Developmental psych? I applied to two, but my background is completely in Psych. I don't know the difference and I would love any of your input or experiences. 

I applied to HDFS programs at Penn State, Colorado State, and Oregon State! From talking to the program director at OSU, he saw it as a more holistic focus than psychology. Feel free to pm me if you want, I've talked to people from these three programs at conferences!

Sooo I was yet holding my breath for Minnesota, thinking it should be like next Monday or so since they've usually announced on 18th-20th in the past.

Then I just realized that 1/18 in 2019 was the third Friday which is TOMORROW.

Edited by devpsych2020

2 minutes ago, devpsych2020 said:

Sooo I was yet holding my breath for Minnesota, thinking it should be like next Monday or so since they've usually announced on 18th-20th in the past.

Then I just realized that 1/18 in 2019 was the third Friday which is TOMORROW.

AHHHHH I seriously have no chill left while waiting for this program. 

Also, Monday is a holiday, so I'm wondering if they'd use the time to send out notifications??? I could seriously use some good news right about now.

1 hour ago, n.tux.9 said:

My undergraduate and masters degree in Psych. Also I am a phd student in psych. But I applied mostly to HDFS programs. My priority was mainly to be matched with POI. I am sure there are negative sides to be in HDFS programs. I believe it has a more limited scope and it also is seen as less scientific which I believe not. Also I think it is little bit more challenging to become a professor in psych department. However I would love to hear other views because I am somehow confused too.

3 minutes ago, justacigar said:

AHHHHH I seriously have no chill left while waiting for this program. 

Also, Monday is a holiday, so I'm wondering if they'd use the time to send out notifications??? I could seriously use some good news right about now.

SAME. PANIC. EVERY. MINUTE.

Yea, them using the Monday to send out the news is possible. Or will they send it out tomorrow and take Monday off completely (i.e., avoid sad sobbing tearful emails asking for reasons for rejection)?!

I just want to know NOW or get the sleep blow-dart and wake up like...next Wednesday.

3 minutes ago, devpsych2020 said:

SAME. PANIC. EVERY. MINUTE.

Yea, them using the Monday to send out the news is possible. Or will they send it out tomorrow and take Monday off completely (i.e., avoid sad sobbing tearful emails asking for reasons for rejection)?!

I just want to know NOW or get the sleep blow-dart and wake up like...next Wednesday.

I am 100% on board with sleeping until this whole process is over! I've never wanted to mentally check out from life more than this moment ?

Did you apply to the straight up developmental program or DPCS?

Just now, justacigar said:

I am 100% on board with sleeping until this whole process is over! I've never wanted to mentally check out from life more than this moment ?

Did you apply to the straight up developmental program or DPCS?

I applied to the straight up Developmental! I remember you posted before that you did DPCS?

Do you know if ICD announces the results for both tracks on the same day? Past result posts confuse me a little cause some specify DPCS and some others say Child Clinical, etc.

20 minutes ago, devpsych2020 said:

I applied to the straight up Developmental! I remember you posted before that you did DPCS?

Do you know if ICD announces the results for both tracks on the same day? Past result posts confuse me a little cause some specify DPCS and some others say Child Clinical, etc.

Yeah I did DPCS. Its so tough to find reliable information about the dev & DPCS programs! It seems like they go out at the same time but I'm not sure. 

7 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Its so tough to find reliable information about the dev & DPCS programs!

I agree. I also wonder what are the chances of people that get waitlisted to eventually get accepted. I feel like almost no one will decline the admissions offer from ICD.

Edited by devpsych2020

2 hours ago, n.tux.9 said:

I applied to some :) Have you heard back from any yet? 

I'm also on edge waiting for Minnesota ICD... keeping my fingers crossed that this week will end with some good news!

Honestly, I was anticipating to hear from majority from the programs I applied to this week... but it's been completely silent >_>

10 minutes ago, emotional said:

I'm also on edge waiting for Minnesota ICD... keeping my fingers crossed that this week will end with some good news!

Honestly, I was anticipating to hear from majority from the programs I applied to this week... but it's been completely silent >_>

I am on the same page here! I still have a couple of schools with zero news... Not sure what is going on.

43 minutes ago, amazingbutternutsquash said:

I applied to some :) Have you heard back from any yet? 

I have, I was accepted into Arizona State's Family and Human development program. The only other one I applied to was UNC Greensboro and I have not heard form them yet. What about you? 

30 minutes ago, devpsych2020 said:

I am on the same page here! I still have a couple of schools with zero news... Not sure what is going on.

Yeah, it has been really weird how quickly I heard from some and have heard nothing from others. 

I have has 0 contact from Notre Dame, but people posted about being offered interviews on here, so I assume that they are not interested.

I have also heard nothing from Northern Illinois University, but that application deadline is Feb 1st. Online is said early application is highly encouraged, so I submitted mine on Dec. 1st with the rest of my applications. I don't know when to expect to hear from them. The POI I applied to is clinical but I heard he also accepts developmental students. People have posted on here about the Clinical program which has a much early deadline. I honestly have no idea what to expect from that school. Please let me know if anyone has any insight!

2 minutes ago, n.tux.9 said:

I know I have been posting a bunch recently, but I have another question for you all. 

What do you do if you are offered two interviews in the same weekend? 

If you haven't responded to them yet, I would def go to the one that you're more interested in and ask for an alternative visiting date or skype interview for the other.

I have had that happen already but I got the first invitation a few weeks before the second one, so I was already committed to go to the first one (fortunately, I am more interested in the first school). I politely explained to the second school and they scheduled alternative skype interviews for me.

17 minutes ago, n.tux.9 said:

I have, I was accepted into Arizona State's Family and Human development program. The only other one I applied to was UNC Greensboro and I have not heard form them yet. What about you? 

I totally missed this earlier. You are already accepted to a program?! When was the application due?

BTW congrats!!!!!!

Edited by devpsych2020

19 minutes ago, devpsych2020 said:

I totally missed this earlier. You are already accepted to a program?! When was the application due?

BTW congrats!!!!!!

The deadline was Dec 1st. They don't do interviews, I think that is why they send our acceptances so early. And THANK YOU

anyone else seeing an increase in profile/post views from the area of your grad schools on linkedin? 

i'm too exited to meet current grad students at my programs but i also am dying to know if i'm accepted already. like, don't toy with my emotions y'know? lol

5 minutes ago, mmmmcoffee said:

anyone else seeing an increase in profile/post views from the area of your grad schools on linkedin? 

i'm too exited to meet current grad students at my programs but i also am dying to know if i'm accepted already. like, don't toy with my emotions y'know? lol

That's such a good sign! I am only noticing the schools I haven't applied to seeing my profiles ?

27 minutes ago, devpsych2020 said:

That's such a good sign! I am only noticing the schools I haven't applied to seeing my profiles ?

Do you have to have premium to see who is viewing your profile? 

Admittedly I'm not very active on LinkedIn, I should probably up my game a bit. 

Just now, justacigar said:

Do you have to have premium to see who is viewing your profile? 

Admittedly I'm not very active on LinkedIn, I should probably up my game a bit. 

I don't have a premium! I can't see the full history of who've seen my profile but just who've seen it in the previous week. Not sure if you can see the full list if you get premium.