Fall 2020 Developmental Psychology PhD

justacigar

Looks like some people have been contacted for phone interviews by POIs at University of Minnesota...does anyone know if this is the standard? Or perhaps just POIs that have multiple applicants interested in working with them?

Wondering if no phone call means your application is no longer in the running.

1 minute ago, Lincoln94 said:

Looks like some people have been contacted for phone interviews by POIs at University of Minnesota...does anyone know if this is the standard? Or perhaps just POIs that have multiple applicants interested in working with them?

It might be different for me because I'm applying to DPCS, not just straight developmental, but I had a informational phone call with my POI before applications were due. Definitely didn't think of it as an informal interview though it very well might have been. 

Just now, justacigar said:

It might be different for me because I'm applying to DPCS, not just straight developmental, but I had a informational phone call with my POI before applications were due. Definitely didn't think of it as an informal interview though it very well might have been. 

I applied to the same track and similarly had informational calls prior to applications. On the results page, it looks like people are posting under 'clinical psychology phd', which I inferred as the DPCS track (perhaps incorrectly). Some have received requests for phone interviews post application submission.

2 minutes ago, Lincoln94 said:

I applied to the same track and similarly had informational calls prior to applications. On the results page, it looks like people are posting under 'clinical psychology phd', which I inferred as the DPCS track (perhaps incorrectly). Some have received requests for phone interviews post application submission.

Hmm yeah I don't think of the DPCS as part of clinical because it's housed in the ICD, with the developmental program, and DPCS doesn't conduct formal interviews before acceptance or rejection. So we should just be hearing about acceptance or rejection in a week or so!

42 minutes ago, Lincoln94 said:

The other day, I was re-reading the 'how to apply' page on UMN ICD's website and saw this:

After you submit your application, you’ll receive an email confirmation. Application review begins directly after the deadline and continues through mid-January. An admissions committee made up of faculty from the Institute of Child Development will review your application and pass along their recommendations to the entire faculty for a final decision. Students who are offered admission will be sent an invitation in January to our Prospective Student Weekend, which takes place the last full weekend in February.

I also had an informational skype call with one of my POI's prior to the application deadline. I don't think ICD will be doing any formal interviews, only the prospective student weekend.

23 hours ago, Lioness said:

I saw that, however it was one person and they also said they were invited "for interview weekend from Jan 6th -8th" for interviews, which is not a weekend. If that person sees this, could you let us know your POI initials and whether you indeed interviewed earlier this week or you meant February or March 3-6? 

I'm still keeping hope alive!

Georgetown did send out their interviews for their Human Development/Public Policy program. That person must have meant February 6 - 8 ?

Still waiting to hear back from more places - I thought this week would pick up for sure!

Edited by kaylashea

Is it recommended to briefly contact your POI if you received your official interview invitation and there is so much time left until the actual visit?

I received one of my invitations right before Christmas and the interview weekend is at the end of Feb. I did have email exchanges and a phone call with POI before submitting my application but didn't do preliminary interview. And now I am invited and thankful, I am wondering if I should send her a quick/generic email (ie i am v excited for the interview opportunity and look forward to visiting). Do you guys think it is extra?

I also want to avoid the slightest chance of appearing indifferent by having no contact for like 3 months (between that unofficial contact and interview weekend).

33 minutes ago, devpsych2020 said:

Is it recommended to briefly contact your POI if you received your official interview invitation and there is so much time left until the actual visit?

I received one of my invitations right before Christmas and the interview weekend is at the end of Feb. I did have email exchanges and a phone call with POI before submitting my application but didn't do preliminary interview. And now I am invited and thankful, I am wondering if I should send her a quick/generic email (ie i am v excited for the interview opportunity and look forward to visiting). Do you guys think it is extra?

I also want to avoid the slightest chance of appearing indifferent by having no contact for like 3 months (between that unofficial contact and interview weekend).

I don't think it's extra. For every official invitation I got, I would send a thank-you email, just in general. But you don't need to accept it immediately, if you have better choice that might overlap with this one 

4 minutes ago, Alley said:

I just contacted my POI in UCR because I saw the UCR acceptance?. She said only a small portion of admission has been sent. Next week there will be more, don't lose hope!!

I'm dying, can you tell? ?. I already lost hope because none of my POIs have contacted me thus far. 

Thanks to the people who replied to my post! Just a brief introduction of myself and trying to find people who are applying to same schools/share similar interests. It is my first-time applying for doctoral programs, and I think I am ready to accept any result since I don't have a master's degree and already learnt a lot from the process. International student, Undergraduate Major GPA: 4.0; Overall GPA: 3.82 while finishing schoolwork in three years. Two conference second author. GRE: 155+168 +4.0  ?

Ph.D Programs:

• University of Washington, Learning sciences and human development
  • Ohio State University, Human development and family science
  • University of Wisconsin - Madison, Education policy
  • University of Nebraska - Lincoln, Child, Youth and family studies
  • New York University, Developmental Psychology
  • University of Pennsylvania, Interdisciplinary studies in human development
  • University of Virginia, Educational psychology (applied developmental science)

Until now, I received one formal on-campus interview invitation from UNL and had one informal interview with one professor from OSU in November. Has not heard from any other schools yet.

For those of you who got Penn State interviews, have you had any communication with you POI's. I applied to work with two people, KB and PC. I sent them emails in the fall and got short replies "I look forward to reading your application". The interview invitation came from someone else in the department and I have not heard from either of my POI's. This is different from other schools I got interviews at because the POI always emailed me directly and told me about the interview. Please let me know your experience with POI's at Penn State or other schools.

Sorry for asking this question again but I never heard much news ?

Does anyone know if UCLA Developmental finished extending the interview invitations? I realized their website says that all invitations will be out at least 2 weeks before the interview events and Developmental's on 1/31-2/1. So I guess it is almost over... There's just been such a lack of info shared for UCLA this year and I just rather get their rejection letter already. Stupid me for not letting it go...

2 minutes ago, n.tux.9 said:

For those of you who got Penn State interviews, have you had any communication with you POI's. I applied to work with two people, KB and PC. I sent them emails in the fall and got short replies "I look forward to reading your application". The interview invitation came from someone else in the department and I have not heard from either of my POI's. This is different from other schools I got interviews at because the POI always emailed me directly and told me about the interview. Please let me know your experience with POI's at Penn State or other schools.

I think who contacts to inform the invite totally depends on the school. Penn State looks like one of the developmental faculties was in charge this year and she will remain as the email announcer until the end.

I also had some preliminary contact with my Penn State POIs and thought it would be mildly awkward to stay silent until the visit in the end of Feb. So I sent brief emails, along the line of "I am excited to visit/meet you all and hope you had good holidays". They replied kindly and briefly as well. I think it really wouldn't hurt to send a check-in email and keep the good impression!

Sorry if this has been asked before, but has anyone heard anything about Columbia's PhD program? I saw someone posted a while back saying they heard back and interviews are the end of Jan. but their website says interviews aren't until late Feb. so I'm wondering if anyone knows or has heard anything more?

2 hours ago, n.tux.9 said:

Similar to you, I only had communication with my POI's when I notified them that I was applying to their lab and once I submitted my application. I have not had any contact with my POI's after receiving the formal invitation. I decided to just keep all contact only with the Developmental faculty head after the receiving my invitation.

38 minutes ago, DevPsychPhD said:

Wondering if anyone has hear back from the following schools:

University of Hawaii

University of Massachusetts- Amherst

Northwestern

Trying to figure out if I should be waiting to hear back still!

For Northwestern, did you apply to their Personality, Development, and Health program or their Human Development and Social Policy program? I applied to the latter and from looking at last year's posts on the results page, they don't send out formal interview invites until late January, around 1/29. 

31 minutes ago, goldenxpenguins said:

For Northwestern, did you apply to their Personality, Development, and Health program or their Human Development and Social Policy program? I applied to the latter and from looking at last year's posts on the results page, they don't send out formal interview invites until late January, around 1/29. 

I applied to Cognitive. Hawaii I applied to Community, Cultural and Developmental, and UMass I applied to Developmental.