Fall 2020 Developmental Psychology PhD

justacigar

1 hour ago, devpsych2020 said:

I promise this is my last post about dying inside due to Minnesota.

But this. Me until (and probs after) the announcement.

aa.jpg

My fav part about this image is the silent screaming happening v subtly on the inside...which has been me for the past 5 months lol 

9 hours ago, n.tux.9 said:

Are any of you applying to Human Development programs as well as Developmental psych? I applied to two, but my background is completely in Psych. I don't know the difference and I would love any of your input or experiences. 

I applied to Human Development programs at Cornell, UC Davis, and Northwestern! One of my POIs that I talked to said that the main difference between the two types of programs has to do with career prospects. If you think you may want to stay in academia and become a professor, getting a PhD in Dev Psych may be the better route to take, while the Human Dev route may be more beneficial if you want to pursue a non-academic career. 

3 hours ago, goldenxpenguins said:

I applied to Human Development programs at Cornell, UC Davis, and Northwestern! One of my POIs that I talked to said that the main difference between the two types of programs has to do with career prospects. If you think you may want to stay in academia and become a professor, getting a PhD in Dev Psych may be the better route to take, while the Human Dev route may be more beneficial if you want to pursue a non-academic career. 

I might add to this that many HDFS programs do strive for their graduates to obtain tenure-track positions, from what I have heard. I've heard HDFS sometimes gets a little bit of a bad rap from psych people due to this assumption. Again, I know very little, but it was my understanding when speaking with professors in HDFS programs that they work to prepare their graduates to become faculty, and many have great success with their alumni obtaining tenure-track positions in both HD and psych. Of course, this likely varies by program and research specialty. That said, if I am ready to commit to a HDFS program I will absolutely do my research on the likelihood that I can achieve my career goals in the program. But depending on the program, it don't think HDFS means you will struggle to find a career in academia more than the large struggle that already exists for anyone to find one. 

3 minutes ago, Scared StringBean said:

I might add to this that many HDFS programs do strive for their graduates to obtain tenure-track positions, from what I have heard. I've heard HDFS sometimes gets a little bit of a bad rap from psych people due to this assumption. Again, I know very little, but it was my understanding when speaking with professors in HDFS programs that they work to prepare their graduates to become faculty, and many have great success with their alumni obtaining tenure-track positions in both HD and psych. Of course, this likely varies by program and research specialty. That said, if I am ready to commit to a HDFS program I will absolutely do my research on the likelihood that I can achieve my career goals in the program. But depending on the program, it don't think HDFS means you will struggle to find a career in academia more than the large struggle that already exists for anyone to find one. 

You definitely make good points! I'm interested in pursuing a non-academic career, so I'm okay with attending a Dev Psych or Human Dev program as long as it helps me get to where I want to go with my career. 

23 hours ago, n.tux.9 said:

Are any of you applying to Human Development programs as well as Developmental psych? I applied to two, but my background is completely in Psych. I don't know the difference and I would love any of your input or experiences. 

I applied to Family and Human Development at ASU. It was more about the POI then the program, especially since I was told there was alot of overlap with the psych department.

20 hours ago, n.tux.9 said:

I have, I was accepted into Arizona State's Family and Human development program. The only other one I applied to was UNC Greensboro and I have not heard form them yet. What about you? 

I was also accepted to ASU's FHD program! Still trying to decide though between that and two others. Can't wait to do all of my visits! 

20 hours ago, n.tux.9 said:

I know I have been posting a bunch recently, but I have another question for you all. 

What do you do if you are offered two interviews in the same weekend? 

I have this same issue as well! I hate this situation and am still trying to sort it out. Is your conflict also 2/21-22? All the advice being given is not helpful for me because I'm equally excited about both programs so I don't have an obvious "first choice". So I've just reached out to both to see which would be accommodating to a request for an alternate visit. Would love to know what you're doing!

19 minutes ago, PsychPhdBound said:

I have this same issue as well! I hate this situation and am still trying to sort it out. Is your conflict also 2/21-22? All the advice being given is not helpful for me because I'm equally excited about both programs so I don't have an obvious "first choice". So I've just reached out to both to see which would be accommodating to a request for an alternate visit. Would love to know what you're doing!

I have had this happen! I ended up with three interviews the same weekend. I accepted the first one, and asked the other two about the possibility of alternate dates. Both additional schools are working with me on it. I didn't give one preference over the other due to my level of excitement, just the order the interviews came in. I told both schools right away that I had a scheduling conflict and left it at that.

I also received an invitation to a visit weekend yesterday after being admitted and it conflicts with two other schools that have back to back interviews. It happens. Just be up front with them!

39 minutes ago, PsychPhdBound said:

Mine is that same weekend! But I already sent my flight info to the first school. The other school hasn't actually offered me an interview yet, but my POI emailed me yesterday and basically said it has been a while since we talked but after viewing my application she is still really interested in working with me and that I would hear from the admission committee soon regarding an interview. I took that to mean I will probably get an interview. 

But since I already sent my flight info to the other school I emailed her and asked if I could come another time if I were to be offered an interview. I know a lot of places with do skype interviews but I really feel like I need to see the place.

14 hours ago, goldenxpenguins said:

I did my master's in an HDFS program and this isn't actually true. Plenty of HDFS graduates get academic jobs -- 2/4 of last year's graduating class got TT positions directly after graduating, and the others got prestigious post docs (at Yale and John Hopkins). The difference is usually in what departments they get jobs in. For example, someone with an HDFS Ph.D. might have an easier time getting a job in an HDFS or Education department than a Psych department. Traditionally, the advice has been to do a Dev Psych Ph.D. if you want to work in a psych Psych department. However, there is growing evidence that this is changing -- research output is a strong currency. 

I did my undergrad in a Psych department, and here are some of the most common differences I have observed. 

HDFS places a huge emphasis on context. Think the bioecological model of human development. HDFS wants to understand the environment surrounding the individual, the prominent figures in their lives, etc. This leads them to orient their research differently. Specifically, someone in HDFS will likely not do experimental studies but will instead focus on longitudinal or observational research because this enables them to examine human beings in their natural contexts.  Finally, HDFS is interdisciplinary, and places a high value on actionable research. They want research that will influence policy, schools interventions, etc. Several of the researchers I've worked with have been directly involved in working with congress or other types of civic engagement related groups. 

I don't know what differences exist at the Ph.D. level, but I can say that at the master's level I really can't see any differences in the opportunities I'm being offered. The programs I applied to (both HDFS and Dev Psych) don't seem to care about what program my MA came from. I also applied to research assistant type positions, and I've had a lot of success with those as well. But feel free to ask me questions about any of this :)

38 minutes ago, justacigar said:

I'm nervous about UMN because on past years it seems the acceptances have all gone out on the same day ? I tried calling the admin department but it went to voicemail so I guess I'll just have to be patient?? Ugh I hate being patient ?

Someone else posted on the results page today ?I can't handle this stress

1 minute ago, emotional said:

I got accepted into UMN's ICD Dev Psych program!!! I AM COMPLETELY ELATED!! I am so happy that I now know that I will be going to grad school, it became that much more real T_T

Will you PM me your POI? Also was your POI the one to call you? congrats! 

Got accepted to UMN's Dev Psych program. Received an email to check the portal for an update. I was convinced it was going to be a rejection because I hadn't interviewed or anything but it turned out to be an admission letter. Got a call from a MN number after but missed the call because I was in class. Called back but no answer so here's to hoping they didn't change their minds. (semi-joking but also legitimately afraid).

49 minutes ago, jh94 said:

Got accepted to UMN's Dev Psych program. Received an email to check the portal for an update. I was convinced it was going to be a rejection because I hadn't interviewed or anything but it turned out to be an admission letter. Got a call from a MN number after but missed the call because I was in class. Called back but no answer so here's to hoping they didn't change their minds. (semi-joking but also legitimately afraid).

Can you PM me your POI? and Congrats

6 hours ago, amazingbutternutsquash said:

I did my master's in an HDFS program and this isn't actually true. Plenty of HDFS graduates get academic jobs -- 2/4 of last year's graduating class got TT positions directly after graduating, and the others got prestigious post docs (at Yale and John Hopkins). The difference is usually in what departments they get jobs in. For example, someone with an HDFS Ph.D. might have an easier time getting a job in an HDFS or Education department than a Psych department. Traditionally, the advice has been to do a Dev Psych Ph.D. if you want to work in a psych Psych department. However, there is growing evidence that this is changing -- research output is a strong currency. 

I did my undergrad in a Psych department, and here are some of the most common differences I have observed. 

HDFS places a huge emphasis on context. Think the bioecological model of human development. HDFS wants to understand the environment surrounding the individual, the prominent figures in their lives, etc. This leads them to orient their research differently. Specifically, someone in HDFS will likely not do experimental studies but will instead focus on longitudinal or observational research because this enables them to examine human beings in their natural contexts.  Finally, HDFS is interdisciplinary, and places a high value on actionable research. They want research that will influence policy, schools interventions, etc. Several of the researchers I've worked with have been directly involved in working with congress or other types of civic engagement related groups. 

I don't know what differences exist at the Ph.D. level, but I can say that at the master's level I really can't see any differences in the opportunities I'm being offered. The programs I applied to (both HDFS and Dev Psych) don't seem to care about what program my MA came from. I also applied to research assistant type positions, and I've had a lot of success with those as well. But feel free to ask me questions about any of this :)

Thank you so much for all of this great information! I didn't know much about Human Dev programs when I first applied to them, but I did notice that, as you mentioned, they place a high value on actionable research. I really appreciate that since I know I want to do applied work in the future! 

1 hour ago, goldenxpenguins said:

Thank you so much for all of this great information! I didn't know much about Human Dev programs when I first applied to them, but I did notice that, as you mentioned, they place a high value on actionable research. I really appreciate that since I know I want to do applied work in the future! 

I wish there was a better place for me to post this tip, because I think it's super cool and important and could help a lot of people, but there are quite a few HDFS programs that fully fund Master's students. It could be because HDFS programs generally have fewer applications/students and so can afford to fund more MA students. I'm not sure. My program fully funded me (stipend + tuition waiver), and I am so so thankful. It was enough that I could live in an apartment without room mates and do fun things occasionally  (e.g. go out to eat, travel occasionally, learn to ski, etc.) and save some money. It was a great opportunity to further my education while proving that I could do graduate coursework and expanding my research experience. 

Also note -- 

As an interdisciplinary program, HDFS actively encourages students to take classes in other departments (e.g., education, psychology, statistics, communication, etc.)

Edited by amazingbutternutsquash
a word & an addition

4 minutes ago, amazingbutternutsquash said:

I wish there was a better place for me to post this tip, because I think it's super cool and important and could help a lot of people, but there are quite a few HDFS programs that fully fund Master's students. It could be because HDFS programs generally have fewer applications/students and so can afford to fund more MA students. I'm not sure. My program fully funded me (stipend + tuition waiver), and I am so so thankful. It was enough that I could live in an apartment without room mates and do fun things occasionally  (e.g. go out to eat, travel occasionally, learn to ski, etc.) and save some money. It was a great opportunity to further my education while proving that I could do graduate coursework and expanding my research experience. 

I think it's great that you were able to get fully funded in your Master's program! I know that getting funding can be very difficult for Master's students, so I'm happy that you were able to live pretty comfortably and still be able to do fun activities.