2020 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants

Leafway

17 hours ago, Now What said:

My supervisor is expecting me to move to the city where I'm accepted into the program although all classes will be online for the first semester. Is ayone else expected to move? I thought I would be staying put and relocating for next seemester, if thing with Covid have settled down.

Did they say why? Maybe it’s possible that research or small meetings could resume and they expect you in the lab? Still, it seems crazy to me to expect someone to move and find housing in a new city during a pandemic if the university is closed.

2 hours ago, PsycUndergrad said:

Did they say why? Maybe it’s possible that research or small meetings could resume and they expect you in the lab? Still, it seems crazy to me to expect someone to move and find housing in a new city during a pandemic if the university is closed.

Yes forgot to mention that labs seem to be opening up over the summer (at least that's what is anticipated at my uni). So perhaps its related to lab/research work?

Is anyone here planning to attend Waterloo this fall? Myself and one other individual are trying to connect with the rest of our cohort. Send me a message!

On 5/31/2020 at 11:42 PM, Now What said:

My supervisor is expecting me to move to the city where I'm accepted into the program although all classes will be online for the first semester. Is ayone else expected to move? I thought I would be staying put and relocating for next seemester, if thing with Covid have settled down.

I have reached out to my program and there are no expectations that I move immediately... If any classes are in-person or I cannot attend, they will be deferred to another semester, apparently. If this happens, I am planning to have a conversation about making sure this deferring of classes doesn't delay my graduation infinitely, and that I can then perhaps take other classes that are later on in the program in the place of the ones I can't take now... TAships may be compromised for international students who won't have a SIN in time to sign up to TA (this is my case), and I'm not sure if the program will be doing anything to compensate for this financially, but this is so far the last convenient news I've heard... My advisor has informed that I will be able to do my research from a distance for now, because there is fortunately data already available in my lab. I think this might depend on your individual lab situation, maybe if you assured your supervisor that you just wanted to be able to move safely and in a situation that will allow you to be productive and present, and it seems rather stressful and unclear for now (all the while asking if there is a possibility to start the research component online)?

I will however be facing having my classes from 5pm to 3am in the morning... ? trying to stay positive and zen! ?

• 5 months later...