2020 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants

Leafway

7 hours ago, sparrow123 said:

Honestly, I wouldn't. Updating about scholarships makes sense because departments only have a certain amount of funding, which limits the amount of students they can take in a given year. Getting a scholarship may mean they don't have to worry about finding money for you that year. While getting more experience and a first authorship is GREAT, it doesn't change the funding situation for the programs you're waitlisted at.

Just my opinion, though.

Appreciate your opinion! Thanks! :) 

8 hours ago, OnThePath01 said:

Hi everyone! Hope you are hanging in this week. I need your thoughts...I know it can be a good idea to update programs when we get certain scholarships. What about new work experience specific in clinical psychology and being bumped to primary author on a paper including a conference presentation. This has all happened since I submitted my application. I am still in the running for a few programs and wondering if its worth updating my PI? Help! Thanks! :) 

I don't think it would hurt just sending them a quick update about new developments, assuming the first author paper has been accepted or at least submitted. It could potentially tip the scale in your favour if there is another candidate that is on an equal footing as you

1 hour ago, shawermalife said:

UPDATE: I got no interviews from any of the schools I applied to, and got rejected from 4/5 of them (officially). I don't understand what went wrong, but I suspect that it was my SOP. Looking into master's degrees in Europe now while trying not to cry.

So sorry to hear this. :( 

12 hours ago, shawermalife said:

UPDATE: I got no interviews from any of the schools I applied to, and got rejected from 4/5 of them (officially). I don't understand what went wrong, but I suspect that it was my SOP. Looking into master's degrees in Europe now while trying not to cry.

Sorry to hear that ?

I just woke up to a rejection from UBC V. Had rejections all across the board last year as well. 

Would a master's degree from Europe help with your career goals? It also depends which country you are interested in, since there is quite a diversity in  training.

Edited by SoundofSilence

16 hours ago, foood said:

I don't think it would hurt just sending them a quick update about new developments, assuming the first author paper has been accepted or at least submitted. It could potentially tip the scale in your favour if there is another candidate that is on an equal footing as you

Thanks for your opinion. That's sort of what I was thinking. I have a decent relationship with two of the PIs at two different schools I am still in the running at so I figure at this point I am all in and it can't hurt me. Let's see if I can get up the nerve haha... 

Thoughts with everyone at this phase of the process. ❤️ 

On 2/24/2020 at 7:24 PM, forpsych said:

I got an email from Ryerson last week letting me know that the admissions committee is still sending out offers as they were wanting me to apply for funding (despite not receiving an offer). But if anyone who has acceptances can you send me the initials of your POI? I want to know if it's time to rebook the GRE to get ready for the next round of applications. 

Also, anyone hear anything from USask? Been absolute silence since I submitted the application

I know Sask sent out interview invites in early January, but haven’t heard anything since. They did say they would send out first round of offers by April 1. 

11 hours ago, SoundofSilence said:

Sorry to hear that ?

I just woke up to a rejection from UBC V. Had rejections all across the board last year as well. 

Would a master's degree from Europe help with your career goals? It also depends which country you are interested in, since there is quite a diversity in  training.

That really sucks!

I think that a master's degree from Europe would give me more research experience, since I only have an undergraduate dissertation right now. My goal was to do a master's and PhD together hence Canada was my first option. But I've been thinking about the time commitment and I'm still not quite sure if clinical may be the right fit for me, and had plans to apply for counselling programs as well (that didn't happen yet). 

Honestly this was a wake up call for me to work harder at uni and applications. In hindsight I really feel like I didnt manage my time very well. It's definitely been a learning experience and I know what to do now. 

Given that covid-19 is making its way through Canada along with the added factor of budget cuts to post-secondary education (especially in Alberta), is anyone else who will be starting a program in Fall 2020 concerned about how these things may influence their program?

36 minutes ago, VanessaB said:

Given that covid-19 is making its way through Canada along with the added factor of budget cuts to post-secondary education (especially in Alberta), is anyone else who will be starting a program in Fall 2020 concerned about how these things may influence their program?

Yeah that is definitley something I am worried about. I think it is a possibility that programs may be deferred to start in January 2021 but that's just a guess. I think it will really depend on the trajectory of covid 

24 minutes ago, gradlady said:

Yeah that is definitley something I am worried about. I think it is a possibility that programs may be deferred to start in January 2021 but that's just a guess. I think it will really depend on the trajectory of covid 

Oh gosh, I sure hope they don’t postpone it that long, but it’s hard to say.  The courses seem very scaffolded at U of A, so not sure how that would work.  I’m also selling my house to move to Edmonton, so hopefully things start on time.  ?

I got notified this morning that a decision for my CGS-M application was made. I thought this was weird since decisions normally aren't provided until April 1. However, when I checked my application, one of my schools deemed my GPA to not be a "first-class average." I am confused, as I saw online that it refers to a minimum of 80% in EACH of the last two years of undegrad. I far surpass this requirement. It then states on the CGS-M application that a "first-class average" is up to the host institution. 

So can anyone provide insight as to what the actual requirement is? I have applied 3 times for this grant, and not once have I ever been deemed ineligible by an institution, so I just find it weird. Also, if it happens that I was deemed ineligible by accident, is there any way to refute this decision?

Any help with how to navigate this would be appreciated!

Edited by psyc2020

2 hours ago, psyc2020 said:

I got notified this morning that a decision for my CGS-M application was made. I thought this was weird since decisions normally aren't provided until April 1. However, when I checked my application, one of my schools deemed my GPA to not be a "first-class average." I am confused, as I saw online that it refers to a minimum of 80% in EACH of the last two years of undegrad. I far surpass this requirement. It then states on the CGS-M application that a "first-class average" is up to the host institution. 

So can anyone provide insight as to what the actual requirement is? I have applied 3 times for this grant, and not once have I ever been deemed ineligible by an institution, so I just find it weird. Also, if it happens that I was deemed ineligible by accident, is there any way to refute this decision?

I would contact the host institution to ask about how they determine eligibility/what they consider first class. For example, at my institution a first class average would be just under 85% (or 3.6 GPA) over the last 90 units. Did you not take a full courseload over your last two years? If you did not, then it's possible that they looked into your first 2.5 or 3 years to get your GPA across the last 90 units, for example.

5 hours ago, psyc2020 said:

I’ve heard of this happening to people by mistake. I would reach out to the institution to see what happened. Not sure if it’ll make a difference because rankings are probably decided by now, but still worth checking. 

20 hours ago, chopper.wife said:

I would contact the host institution to ask about how they determine eligibility/what they consider first class. For example, at my institution a first class average would be just under 85% (or 3.6 GPA) over the last 90 units. Did you not take a full courseload over your last two years? If you did not, then it's possible that they looked into your first 2.5 or 3 years to get your GPA across the last 90 units, for example.

I actually took more than a full courseload over my last two years. So I will contact them to see! Thanks for your help and same with @PsycUndergrad. I appreciate it!

So I have the OISE application that still has not released their decision... should I assume that means it’s a rejection? Or are the universities not sending things out because they are not working right now because of covid-19? I’m confused on how to interpret this and if it is even possible to get an answer with everything going on. 

Anyone heard from University of Guelph? 

I contacted McMaster and they told me that all the interviews were done and the offers are sent. Since I didn't get any, I guess I'm waitlisted for now. 

Which leaves me with Guelph. I contacted them by e-mail but haven't got any reply yet. 

I applied for NACS.

51 minutes ago, falken1492 said:

So I have the OISE application that still has not released their decision... should I assume that means it’s a rejection? Or are the universities not sending things out because they are not working right now because of covid-19? I’m confused on how to interpret this and if it is even possible to get an answer with everything going on. 

My best guess is that maybe you're on a waitlist of some sort; however, I think your questions are very reasonable, so it might be worthwhile to email the graduate secretary for the respective program you applied to and ask them what's going on with the applications given the current climate with covid-19.

1 hour ago, falken1492 said:

Not sure if they've released acceptance letters as yet? Does anyone know?

I just got a rejection from Memorial. Apparently the decision was made on Feb. 27th. No idea why they waited so long to let me know. Honestly, if it's a no, I don't need to wait to get a fancy "we are sorry" letter. It would have made other plans and decisions much easier and faster for me. Sorry for the rant, this process is getting to me, on top of everything else that is going on with the coronavirus :(

Anyway. I still have to hear from Regina. Did anyone (without interviews) get any news from them? 

Given the current situation I guess everything will be delayed, which is perfectly understandable. 

How's everyone holding up? I would love to hear from current Canadian students though. How are you faring with clinical work? Are telehealth measures being implemented? Should we make a separate thread for this?

4 hours ago, SoundofSilence said:

How's everyone holding up? I would love to hear from current Canadian students though. How are you faring with clinical work? Are telehealth measures being implemented? Should we make a separate thread for this?

Even though there are only 5 of us in my clinical cohort, our classes all got moved to online which has actually been kind of fun thus far (which was surprising to me!). The main thing I am concerned about is practicum this summer, which may get either cancelled or not start when it is supposed to, leaving us with less hours than we are supposed to get. I know they are making swift efforts in my program to get set up for telehealth for those doing therapy practica; however, for those of us doing assessment practica, you can't really do a standardized assessment via video conferencing, so it's tricky!

On 3/5/2020 at 3:25 PM, Psych_hopefulx said:

Has anyone heard from uOttawa for final decisions for clinical? Someone put on the results page that they were refused via portal but mine still says "under review" 

I called the University of Ottawa last week to inquire about my application which still says "under review" - they told me exactly what I had expected: wait listed. We will hear after April 15 if we are taken off the list. 

42 minutes ago, xtrahotlatte said:

I guess no one knows when we'll receive final decisions because of COVID? I'm pretty sure I'm not getting any acceptances this year, but I guess there will be no one to call at the grad office to annoy every day! lol

Yes, so it seems most of the admin staff are working from home. So emails are currently maintained, but phone lines may not be. Best bet might have to be via email! Good luck! :)

5 hours ago, chopper.wife said:

Even though there are only 5 of us in my clinical cohort, our classes all got moved to online which has actually been kind of fun thus far (which was surprising to me!). The main thing I am concerned about is practicum this summer, which may get either cancelled or not start when it is supposed to, leaving us with less hours than we are supposed to get. I know they are making swift efforts in my program to get set up for telehealth for those doing therapy practica; however, for those of us doing assessment practica, you can't really do a standardized assessment via video conferencing, so it's tricky!

Oh yeah our assessment practica this spring/summer is 99% cancelled. It seems that we are moving that to first semester of 2nd year, and on top of the mandatory TA'ing we have and heavy course-load, its going to be a difficult semester. But for this semester so far, all instructors have been very accommodating with extending assignment deadlines and/or removing assessments that required meeting face-to-face with another individual. I really appreciate all the instructors checking in to make sure these deadlines were still manageable during these unprecedented times. :)

1 hour ago, xtrahotlatte said:

I guess no one knows when we'll receive final decisions because of COVID? I'm pretty sure I'm not getting any acceptances this year, but I guess there will be no one to call at the grad office to annoy every day! lol

I'm a full-time staff member in a post-secondary institution.  We're still expected to work (and in the case of my office we are still expected to physically be at work), so I suspect there will still be someone to call and annoy if you wish to do so. ?