2020 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants

Leafway

2 hours ago, Psych? said:

Did anyone else on this thread apply to the counselling psychology (counselling and psychotherapy) at OISE? The website says offers go out sometime in March so I am starting to get anxious waiting to hear.

I did. I'm surprised not a lot of people who applied to this program are more active on here. There were more than 530 applicants this year to this program alone (you can check stats on the website). 

I'm anticipating hearing back from OISE this week or next... Hopefully ?

1 hour ago, Now What said:

Sorry to hear you got waitlisted.  Out of curiosity any idea how many clinicial students they were taking? I interviewed was not selected.

I was waitlisted as well. They informed me that there are 8 clinical spots

1 hour ago, Psych? said:

How many applicants do you think had the opportunity to send an application to SD? The email said a "subset" of applicants but I'm wondering what that really meant. 

I would be curious to know as well, perhaps the vast majority who received the email applied because offers had not gone out yet.

14 minutes ago, ClinPsyc20 said:

I was waitlisted as well. They informed me that there are 8 clinical spots

Did you get notifed that you were "very high on the list of alternates"?

1 hour ago, Now What said:

Did you get notifed that you were "very high on the list of alternates"?

I was informed that my POI had forwarded my name as "one of their top picks" to the grad admissions committee.

They also said that they "fully expect to be able to offer a number of applicants on the waitlist spots in the program"

Edited by ClinPsyc20

35 minutes ago, ClinPsyc20 said:

I was informed that my POI had forwarded my name as "one of their top picks" to the grad admissions committee.

They also said that they "fully expect to be able to offer a number of applicants on the waitlist spots in the program"

Do you mind DMing your POI initials? 

Update: just received a rejection from Ryerson ...the applicant who received the first offer from my POI accepted so I'm no longer on the waitlist. A little disappointed but also glad to have found out sooner rather than later.

I'm still waitlisted at one other school, but it's looking like I'm probably not getting in anywhere this year. I've started to accept it and I have a semi-plan for next year, but I'm mostly just dreading having to go through this horrible application process all over again ? 

1 hour ago, ClinPsyc20 said:

I've started to accept it and I have a semi-plan for next year, but I'm mostly just dreading having to go through this horrible application process all over again ?

I'm in the same boat as you. It's a bitter pill to swallow and tbh I don't know if I will apply again next year. It just feels so pointless ?

Edit: sorry to hear you got rejected as well, it fucking sucks :(

Edited by sparrow123

18 hours ago, Psych? said:

Did anyone else on this thread apply to the counselling psychology (counselling and psychotherapy) at OISE? The website says offers go out sometime in March so I am starting to get anxious waiting to hear.

Yes I did too! I haven't heard anything from them... checking constantly but I think they may be overloaded this year with applicants, but in past years they released their decisions around the end of the first week of March... but who knows about this year!

16 hours ago, Loco_luch said:

I did. I'm surprised not a lot of people who applied to this program are more active on here. There were more than 530 applicants this year to this program alone (you can check stats on the website). 

I'm anticipating hearing back from OISE this week or next... Hopefully ?

Wow, 530 applicants!  That's insane!  Just out of curiosity, what website are these stats posted on?

18 hours ago, aaapal said:

So I had called the admissions officer and she basically said the same thing but wouldn’t tell me if I was his number 1 choice or whatever - just that the program director and my POI have deemed me as fit for the program but they just couldn’t accept any students yet (they didn’t have first round priority). Though I haven’t heard from my POI since my interview, should I reach out and email them? Thanks!

i would. from past experience, it's like 50/50 in terms of response but they may give you some helpful info. i wouldn't say, what rank am i but to email asking for an update won't hurt at this point.

Edited by prospectclin

Just received my rejection from Manitoba after interviewing in February. Congrats to everyone who got in! Looking forward to attending Windsor in the fall :) 

Side note- it’s taken me three tries to get in! If it doesn’t work out for you the first time and you know that this is the field for you, please don’t give up! :) 

14 minutes ago, a display name said:

Just received my rejection from Manitoba after interviewing in February. Congrats to everyone who got in! Looking forward to attending Windsor in the fall :) 

Side note- it’s taken me three tries to get in! If it doesn’t work out for you the first time and you know that this is the field for you, please don’t give up! :) 

Sorry about your rejection.  Congrats on your Windsor acceptance!

I agree that gaining admission into  highly competitive programs can be a long process!  In fact, when I discovered my developing interest in psychology, I took a huge risk.  That is to say, I gave up my teaching contract and went back to school in my late 20s to get a third undergraduate degree in order to make my dreams a reality, and I took out student loans so I could work less and volunteer more in order to build up my psychology-related experience.

27 minutes ago, a display name said:

Also got my Manitoba rejection this morning. Jeez. But still waiting to hear from lots of programs--so keeping the hope alive. Appreciate the sentiment "a display name" :) because this is round two for me. Good game plan in place to go for round 3 if I need it, but lets hope not. Congratulations on your spot at Windsor!! SO AWESOME! 

23 minutes ago, Happy2020 said:

Has anyone heard from McGill? When I check the portal it says my application is still in review.

I applied to McGill for Counselling psych and had an interview end of Jan. The POI I spoke to said that offers would be going out end of March. I assume it would be similar for clinical but I am not too sure

so I applied to roughly 13 schools, didn't interview for 12, and the one I did I was waitlisted for. Anyone have any idea what the actual chances are for getting an acceptance off the waitlist? This is my second year applying and trying to not get down in the dumps about this process. 

14 hours ago, falken1492 said:

Yes I did too! I haven't heard anything from them... checking constantly but I think they may be overloaded this year with applicants, but in past years they released their decisions around the end of the first week of March... but who knows about this year!

I saw 1 acceptance for counselling and psychotherapy on the results page, but still haven't heard. I am still holding out hope but feel like this is a bad sign. 

Just now, BobbyB said:

Officially rejected today from OISE SCCP via a pleasant letter on the application portal

Sorry to hear about the rejection. Mine will probably come soon too.
Thanks for the update

12 hours ago, Psych? said:

I saw 1 acceptance for counselling and psychotherapy on the results page, but still haven't heard. I am still holding out hope but feel like this is a bad sign. 

There have been 4 acceptances for the MEd Counselling and psychotherapy program on the results page.. ? Holding on to hope?

Does anyone know if schools generally send acceptances on the same day? Or are they delivered at different times? (Oise in particular) 

Thanks guys! 

Edited by Loco_luch