2020 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants

Leafway

Hi everyone. Looking for an update on the following programs (Masters level):

Clinical: Concordia, University of Manitoba, UBC Okanagan

Counselling: Calgary (MSc)

I've seen there's been some offers sent out for Concordia and Calgary, but haven't seen anything regarding the other two schools (Manitoba / UBC Okanagan). I haven't had any interviews, so I'm thinking either rejection or b-listed.

On 2/21/2020 at 7:28 PM, springxsummer said:

I’ve officially accepted my offer to Calgary!
Maybe it’s too early for this, but I would love to connect with any incoming U of C students for the Msc Counselling program! 

Hey, congrats! I also applied there. I'm wondering whether you got an email or letter? And was there an interview? 

5 hours ago, WickedWorld91 said:

Hi everyone. Looking for an update on the following programs (Masters level):

Clinical: Concordia, University of Manitoba, UBC Okanagan

Counselling: Calgary (MSc)

I've seen there's been some offers sent out for Concordia and Calgary, but haven't seen anything regarding the other two schools (Manitoba / UBC Okanagan). I haven't had any interviews, so I'm thinking either rejection or b-listed.

I know UBC-O has already sent out interview invites, and unfortunately there are very, very few spots this year so i wouldn't expect a second round of interviews. I hate to pass on the news but better than not knowing! I am hoping to apply next year when more professors are accepting students!

Edited by forpsych
Change some information

17 hours ago, aaapal said:

So I found out yesterday I’m on the waitlist for Ryerson’s program which is great - considering I’ve been rejected from everywhere else. Does anyone know if waitlists are ranked? Also, what are the chances of actually getting off the waitlist and into the program? 

I don't think it's ranked b/c it depends on who your POI is. So you may have been the first choice of your POI and if another applicant declines, yours may be the next in line to choose a student. However, you could also be the second or third choice in which case it would be much less likely you would be admitted. People definitely get off the waitlist though. You could email the grad admission coordinator and ask how big the waitlist is. I'm sure they get that question all the time.

7 hours ago, forpsych said:

I know UBC-O has already sent out interview invites, and unfortunately there are very, very few spots this year so i wouldn't expect a second round of interviews. I hate to pass on the news but better than not knowing! I am hoping to apply next year when more professors are accepting students!

No worries, thanks for the info!

I applied to MEd in Counselling Psychology at UBC and MA in Counselling Psych at SFU. I know UBC offers go out mid march but has anyone heard from SFU? Applications this year were different as you had to be invited to apply. Applications closed Feb 15th but I havent heard anything about next steps. Does anyone know?

On 2/29/2020 at 11:01 AM, gradlady said:

If the person who posted on the results section about being accepted at Ottawa is on here, could you please DM me your POI's initials? I would really appreciate it! 

Thanks 

me too!

17 hours ago, WickedWorld91 said:

Hey, congrats! I also applied there. I'm wondering whether you got an email or letter? And was there an interview? 

Hi, it was an email with a letter attached as a PDF. There was an interview.  I do believe they have already notified waitlisted candidates, but I only know through word of mouth.

Best of luck with your other applications and if it doesn't work out this year, keep your head up! It took me two tries.

Edited by springxsummer

Congratulations to everyone receiving acceptances so far!! To whoever has received an acceptance from Ryerson’s clinical program, do you mind DMing PM initials? 

16 hours ago, coffee7874 said:

Yes @gradlady! If you could DM me with initials and how they notified you that would be so helpful! Thank you!!

Hi there, Im not the person who heard back from Ottawa. I was asking if the person who did could DM me

22 minutes ago, psychstudent88 said:

Has anyone heard from York CD after interviews?

Someone posted an acceptance on Feb 20th. 

I've emailed a few people at York hoping to get some answers. It's past the time my POI said I would have heard back by and they have not responded to a follow-up email asking for an update on my status. If I hear anything, I'll post here.

Got a super nice email from my POI at Ryerson letting me know I was her top choice, but ultimately got waitlisted due to a lack of clinical spots. I got offered to switch to the psych science stream (doesn’t really fit my career path), so I guess we wait it out and hope a clinical spot opens up! 

Did anyone else on this thread apply to the counselling psychology (counselling and psychotherapy) at OISE? The website says offers go out sometime in March so I am starting to get anxious waiting to hear.

On 3/2/2020 at 9:39 AM, prospectclin said:

I don't think it's ranked b/c it depends on who your POI is. So you may have been the first choice of your POI and if another applicant declines, yours may be the next in line to choose a student. However, you could also be the second or third choice in which case it would be much less likely you would be admitted. People definitely get off the waitlist though. You could email the grad admission coordinator and ask how big the waitlist is. I'm sure they get that question all the time.

So I had called the admissions officer and she basically said the same thing but wouldn’t tell me if I was his number 1 choice or whatever - just that the program director and my POI have deemed me as fit for the program but they just couldn’t accept any students yet (they didn’t have first round priority). Though I haven’t heard from my POI since my interview, should I reach out and email them? Thanks!

1 hour ago, forpsych said:

Got a super nice email from my POI at Ryerson letting me know I was her top choice, but ultimately got waitlisted due to a lack of clinical spots. I got offered to switch to the psych science stream (doesn’t really fit my career path), so I guess we wait it out and hope a clinical spot opens up! 

Sorry to hear you got waitlisted.  Out of curiosity any idea how many clinicial students they were taking? I interviewed was not selected.

13 minutes ago, Now What said:

I haven't

How many applicants do you think had the opportunity to send an application to SD? The email said a "subset" of applicants but I'm wondering what that really meant.