2020 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants

Leafway

Ah, never mind.  Rejection from SCCP at OISE!  Though, I'm SO thrilled with UAlberta and I know it will be an amazing fit.

I wouldn't feel too bad about an OISE rejection though if you do get one.  I have 3 degrees with one being an honours degree in psyc and I got all A and A+ grades throughout it, 9+ years of teaching experience, 3+ years crisis line experience, 2+ years research experience, 3+ years mental health education experience, 1+ years mentoring experience, and the list goes on.  Ultimately, I didn't see myself living in and moving to Toronto (especially since I want to work and live in AB), so I suppose it's possible OISE may have a preference for locals or perhaps research fit is really, really important there (as I want to do arts-based research, which not everyone in the field of psychology appreciates).

Edited by VanessaB

2 minutes ago, falken1492 said:

Did the decision just come up when you opened your portal or was it via email?

It says, "Decision Document," in the grad application portal.

1.PNG

Edited by VanessaB

21 minutes ago, VanessaB said:

Ah, never mind.  Rejection from SCCP at OISE!  Though, I'm SO thrilled with UAlberta and I know it will be an amazing fit.

I wouldn't feel too bad about an OISE rejection though if you do get one.  I have 3 degrees with one being an honours degree in psyc and I got all A and A+ grades throughout it, 9+ years of teaching experience, 3+ years crisis line experience, 2+ years research experience, 3+ years mental health education experience, 1+ years mentoring experience, and the list goes on.  Ultimately, I didn't see myself living in and moving to Toronto (especially since I want to work and live in AB), so I suppose it's possible OISE may have a preference for locals or perhaps research fit is really, really important there (as I want to do arts-based research, which not everyone in the field of psychology appreciates).

Thanks for the supportive words. It sounds like you have incredible experiences so I'm honestly so surprised you didn't get the offer (what else could they want?)

Anyways, wish you all the best with the UAlberta program!! ?

Just now, wy29 said:

May I ask who you guys applied to for OISE SCCP?? I am assuming I will receive my rejection letter soon too but the wait is sooo stressful!!! :(

M PB

CH

KS (though I don’t think she’s accepting)

9 minutes ago, Paris1045 said:

Thanks for the supportive words. It sounds like you have incredible experiences so I'm honestly so surprised you didn't get the offer (what else could they want?)

Anyways, wish you all the best with the UAlberta program!! ?

If it came down to an offer from both SCCP OISE and SCCP UAlberta, I still would’ve chosen UAlberta, so maybe they just knew what my final decision would be lol.

And thanks!  I’m SO excited!  They have an arts-based research studio at UAlberta in the education building and a faculty member who has a strong drama background, similar to myself, so I can’t wait to be in an environment that is so supportive of the creative arts!

Edited by VanessaB

Just now, VanessaB said:

If it came down to an offer from both SCCP OISE and SCCP UAlberta, I still would’ve chosen UAlberta, so maybe they just knew lol.

And thanks!  I’m SO excited!  They have an arts-based research studio at UAlberta in the education building and a faculty member who has a strong drama background, similar to myself, so I can’t wait to be in an environment that is so supportive of the creative arts!

This process is so competitive that even incredible applicants get rejections... and it sounds like your application was certainly a strong one! When you’re competing for one or two spots, the littlest thing could sway the decision. That’s something that frustrates me about this process.... either way, congrats on the acceptance to your top choice!!

13 minutes ago, VanessaB said:

If it came down to an offer from both SCCP OISE and SCCP UAlberta, I still would’ve chosen UAlberta, so maybe they just knew what my final decision would be lol.

A little off topic, but you will love the UAlberta campus. It's gorgeous! 

5 minutes ago, sparrow123 said:

A little off topic, but you will love the UAlberta campus. It's gorgeous! 

Thanks!  I tried going for a day trip over the long weekend, but I got so lost!  It’s a big campus!  I walked into some religious building and the person there was like, “Ohhh, are you looking for someone?”  I said, “No, just exploring.”  He replied, “Oh because confession is starting in a few minutes!”  Then I followed with, “I’m sure I have many things to confess, but that’s not actually why I’m here.” ?

Anyways, I’m taking some time off of work next week, and I’m going for an official campus tour.  I’m also going to buy a school hoodie, a water bottle, and a pen (because well...I’m kind of a nerd)!

I’ve officially accepted my offer to Calgary!
Maybe it’s too early for this, but I would love to connect with any incoming U of C students for the Msc Counselling program! 

Edited by springxsummer

Does anyone know from past years how OISE SCCP sends out acceptances/rejections? Does it typically happen all at once / on the same day? Or is it rolling acceptances? I have not been contacted for an interview, but my application still says "under review". Is it likely they just haven't gotten to my name yet to update the portal for a rejection? Thanks!

12 minutes ago, SCCPHopeful said:

Does anyone know from past years how OISE SCCP sends out acceptances/rejections? Does it typically happen all at once / on the same day? Or is it rolling acceptances? I have not been contacted for an interview, but my application still says "under review". Is it likely they just haven't gotten to my name yet to update the portal for a rejection? Thanks!

Also wondering about the same thing!

3 hours ago, SCCPHopeful said:

I'm in the same boat and also wondering about this!

3 hours ago, SCCPHopeful said:

I am also wondering about this ?

Hi!! New here. I applied to SCCP at OISE and had an interview with a POI on Jan 30. Haven't heard anything since then. My status is still 'under review'.  

Edited by Roz23
grammar :P

5 minutes ago, Roz23 said:

Hi!! New here. I applied to SCCP at OISE and had an interview with a POI on Jan 30. Haven't heard anything since then. My status is still 'under review'.  

Welcome :)

Do you mind sharing the initials of your POI? Either here or over PM  

5 hours ago, springxsummer said:

I’ve officially accepted my offer to Calgary!
Maybe it’s too early for this, but I would love to connect with any incoming U of C students for the Msc Counselling program! 

That’s amazing!  Congrats on getting accepted at UCalgary for the MSc in Counselling Psyc and making your final choice!  I’ve heard it’s not an easy program to get into.

3 hours ago, Quicksilver25 said:

Done bugging you guys with questions about whether or not UCalgary's started sending out their offers. Got my letter yesterday and officially accepted my offer today for experimental psych. Yay!

Congrats!

14 hours ago, SCCPHopeful said:

I applied two years ago and they were very late giving me a rejection.  It may mean you've been waitlisted while first round offers have gone out. I got my letter of rejection in early April. It could be a long wait with OISE. I'm sure it would be ok if you called them up!