2020 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants

Leafway

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm applying to counselling and clinical psychology master's programs this round! I have a BA in psychology with a fair amount of research and clinical experience, as well as a couple poster presentations (aiming to add another).

This will be my second time applying. Last year I applied to four counselling programs and was waitlisted at two and rejected from two. Clinical may be a stretch for me  because I don't have an honors degree or an undergraduate thesis,  but it gives me the option of applying to a lot more accredited programs so I figure what the heck.

• 1 month later...

Hello friends!

This is my second time applying as well. I'm interested in Clinical Psychology in the Developmental field. I have an honours degree from a Canadian university. The schools I'm interested in are: UWaterloo, OISE, Windsor, SFU, UBC, UVic, McGill, York, and Ryerson. 

My CGPA is around 3.6/4.0; GRE verbal: 89th percentile, and quant: 79th percentile, writing: 4.5

I was rejected last year because I didn't have enough research experience. I was able to get a few poster presentations and writing up one manuscript, hopefully it can be submitted before the application deadline. 

I look forward to hearing others' stories! We need to support each other in this stressful process. 

20 hours ago, Stickyknow said:

Hello friends!

This is my second time applying as well. I'm interested in Clinical Psychology in the Developmental field. I have an honours degree from a Canadian university. The schools I'm interested in are: UWaterloo, OISE, Windsor, SFU, UBC, UVic, McGill, York, and Ryerson. 

My CGPA is around 3.6/4.0; GRE verbal: 89th percentile, and quant: 79th percentile, writing: 4.5

I was rejected last year because I didn't have enough research experience. I was able to get a few poster presentations and writing up one manuscript, hopefully it can be submitted before the application deadline. 

I look forward to hearing others' stories! We need to support each other in this stressful process. 

Impressive quant score! If you don't mind me asking, what did you have for research experience last round other than the honours thesis?

22 hours ago, springxsummer said:

Impressive quant score! If you don't mind me asking, what did you have for research experience last round other than the honours thesis?

Thank you! I am a research assistant and I take part in multiple research projects. The graduate student who supervised me is very supportive, she has given me a lot of opportunities to be a co-author in her posters. I think you can be more proactive and tell your supervisor you need opportunities to get publications to strengthen your CV; show them that you are hard-working and competent, they usually will be supportive. All the best!

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2019 at 3:38 PM, Stickyknow said:

Hello friends!

Hi! This is my second time applying as well. I'm interested in Clinical (Neuro)psychology, also in developmental field! I am currently in Master's program (non-clinical). We have almost similar schools of interest! I'm interested in UWaterloo, SFU, UVic, UCalgary, Queen's, and York. I am also interested in OISE (SCCP) and Windsor but the research fit is a bit tricky with the core faculties there for me (e.g., good research fit with adjunct or from other clinical streams, but not too much with the core faculties ).

That's great that you are about to submit a manuscript! Publications are my main concern at the moment :(

Oh and I'm so glad that I finally found this thread! I've been looking for on for this round but I guess I was blind until now.. Look forward to hearing others' stories too!

Edited by Dylia

Hi all, I am planning on applying for this cycle and preparing everything right now. I have a masters from UK (clinical forensic), so hope to get waivers for some courses. 

I am contacting potential faculty, and one individual I was in touch with said that they review applications usually after they are reviewed by the program but are planning on taking on one student. They did not identify if they are interested in my candidature (even though our research interests align very well). Is that common? Should I apply and just list this member of faculty or would you contact other members from that same institution? Previously I had professors being very responsive, offering to meet and so I know they will be supportive when reviewing my application. But this is a tad unusual. 

Another question, I did my GRE last year, and got very mediocre results (73rd percentile in Verbal, 56th in Quant, and 92in AW). Would you say with these scores I should try to rewrite or at this point concentrate my energy on getting publications? 

Thank you all, and good luck!

@nerdy_metalheadThat's common enough, I would apply to them but definitely contact other profs from the school if your research interests align with them.

For the GRE scores, from my understanding it doesn't matter if you meet posted cut-offs. I know at least 1 person who had a similar (IIRC worse) quant score and got in. 

Edited by Yeye
Forgot to add quote

Question for those of you writing OGS/CGS applications:

What's your process? Are you working with a prof on the application or is it all by yourself? I'm unsure about what the norm with that is.

On 10/1/2019 at 4:23 PM, Yeye said:

Question for those of you writing OGS/CGS applications:

What's your process? Are you working with a prof on the application or is it all by yourself? I'm unsure about what the norm with that is.

I have a POI helping me, but that was mainly out of luck. I had planned to apply by myself.

On 10/1/2019 at 6:17 PM, Yeye said:

@nerdy_metalheadThat's common enough, I would apply to them but definitely contact other profs from the school if your research interests align with them.

For the GRE scores, from my understanding it doesn't matter if you meet posted cut-offs. I know at least 1 person who had a similar (IIRC worse) quant score and got in. 

Thank you so much!

Hi everyone!

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with meetings via Skype with POI's? I have my first one next week and I'm not sure what to expect. I emailed this professor a few weeks ago to express interest in their lab and the program and he responded by asking to meet via skype.

Should I prepare as if this was a preliminary interview? I am leaning more towards yes, I'd rather be over prepared than under. 

If anyone has any specific advice, that would be awesome!

Thank you!

34 minutes ago, Cascadia said:

Hi everyone!

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with meetings via Skype with POI's? I have my first one next week and I'm not sure what to expect. I emailed this professor a few weeks ago to express interest in their lab and the program and he responded by asking to meet via skype.

Should I prepare as if this was a preliminary interview? I am leaning more towards yes, I'd rather be over prepared than under. 

Thank you!

Hello! :)

That's a little unusual, to be contacted before you submit all application materials. At least that's the response I receive, that they have to receive all materials and after the application deadline they schedule calls for short list.

Maybe this is how this POI does things, or maybe they are very interested.

In either case, congrats! and yes, it's better to over-prepare than to not be prepared enough. Try to look into their pubs/ research interests and remember to ask about their own expectations for students/ mentorship style. Remember, you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. Needs to be a good match for a couple of years at least :)

Best of luck!

1 hour ago, Cascadia said:

Hi everyone!

Thank you!

I have been asking for skype meetings because last year I felt like I didn't establish strong enough working relationships with POIs. I've only had one so far (though a few more are scheduled), and it was actually initiated by the POI. It was quite casual and we mainly talked about his work, my research interests, and what made me interested in the program. He also made suggestions for other schools that I might apply to and things that I could do to strengthen my chances of admission... overall very positive and not at all like an interview. I'd imagine that every prof might have a slightly different agenda, though. I'd personally treat it as an informal interview/ a chance to make a good first impression. Hard to say- you could ask the POI (?)

1 hour ago, SoundofSilence said:

Hello! :)

That's a little unusual, to be contacted before you submit all application materials. At least that's the response I receive, that they have to receive all materials and after the application deadline they schedule calls for short list.

Maybe this is how this POI does things, or maybe they are very interested.

In either case, congrats! and yes, it's better to over-prepare than to not be prepared enough. Try to look into their pubs/ research interests and remember to ask about their own expectations for students/ mentorship style. Remember, you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. Needs to be a good match for a couple of years at least :)

Best of luck!

Hi! Thank you for your reply!

Based on the previous years thread, this is one of the few schools that sends out invites in December/does super early interviews. Not saying that this is what that is, but maybe this department likes to meet and talk as soon as possible with potential students to have an idea of what they're like before they actually view the full application materials.

I sent him my CV and quite a detailed email outlining my experience and interests. Also, this is a child development lab, and I work with children with serious neurodevelopmental disorders. I think maybe it was a combination of my email, CV and experience that prompted him to ask for a Skype meeting. 

Honestly, I didn't think it was that unusual for a POI to set up a call/Skype meeting. There are two other profs who emailed me back saying they would like to do a call in late October when they are not so busy... so I thought it was kind of common to talk via Skype before the application deadline?

I'm a bit nervous though because I think my application is strong besides my GRE scores (terrible quant scores, like the worst ever), I'm retaking soon to up my score. Hopefully it goes well! As exciting as it is to receive interest, I'm reminding myself that there are so many other aspects of an application that go into the decision making process besides research fit/experience.

Edit: Thank you for your advice, it was very helpful! :) 

Edited by Cascadia

51 minutes ago, springxsummer said:

I have been asking for skype meetings because last year I felt like I didn't establish strong enough working relationships with POIs. I've only had one so far (though a few more are scheduled), and it was actually initiated by the POI. It was quite casual and we mainly talked about his work, my research interests, and what made me interested in the program. He also made suggestions for other schools that I might apply to and things that I could do to strengthen my chances of admission... overall very positive and not at all like an interview. I'd imagine that every prof might have a slightly different agenda, though. I'd personally treat it as an informal interview/ a chance to make a good first impression. Hard to say- you could ask the POI (?)

Thanks for your reply! Was that this application cycle or last years? 

I just don't want to be taken off guard with a really hard question that I'm not prepared for lol

7 hours ago, Cascadia said:

Hi everyone!

Thank you!

I think it's a great first step. Definitely prepare as if it's a prelim interview. I skyped with my POI last year in October and now I'm working with her. She later invited me to visit her in person.

Best of luck!

Edited by Neurophilic

1 hour ago, Neurophilic said:

I think it's a great first step. Definitely prepare as if it's a prelim interview. I skyped with my POI last year in October and now I'm working with her. She later invited me to visit her in person.

Best of luck!

Thank you for this advice! 

And congrats on being accepted and starting your program!! Did you have a research idea prepared for your initial Skype meeting? And do you mind me asking which school?

Also... how competitive were your GRE scores? I've heard it's really POI/department dependant how much they weight them, but I'm just curious if you are open to sharing.

Thanks! :) 

Thanks for your reply! Was that this application cycle or last years? 

I just don't want to be taken off guard with a really hard question that I'm not prepared for lol

This application cycle!

On 10/2/2019 at 7:58 PM, springxsummer said:

I have a POI helping me, but that was mainly out of luck. I had planned to apply by myself.

Hi there!

If you don't mind sharing, I am wondering how you were able to get a POI to help you with the CGS application?

I was thinking of asking a few POI's if they would be willing to provide input on my CGS proposal, but I felt it was a lot to ask of them.

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

American student here mainly applying to programs in the U.S. but also interested in a couple of Canadian programs (UBC and Queens). From the limited research that I've done, most of the funding opportunities in Canada are restricted to Canadian students or international students that are already enrolled in a graduate program. I was wondering if anyone knows of scholarships or fellowships that prospective international students can apply for without already being accepted into a graduate program (something similar to the NSF GRFP that we have here in the U.S.). Hopefully there is something out there I can apply for and put down on my application to give it a little boost. Thanks in advance!

Hi there!

If you don't mind sharing, I am wondering how you were able to get a POI to help you with the CGS application?

I was thinking of asking a few POI's if they would be willing to provide input on my CGS proposal, but I felt it was a lot to ask of them.

Thanks!

Literally luck. I mentioned it in passing as something I was doing to better my chances and the POI offered to help. I'm writing it myself, but they've agreed to meetings to discuss it, and to look over the final product.

Edited by springxsummer

1 hour ago, springxsummer said:

Literally luck. I mentioned it in passing as something I was doing to better my chances and the POI offered to help. I'm writing it myself, but they've agreed to meetings to discuss it, and to look over the final product.

That's awesome! Congrats! I might mention it in my next Skype meeting and see what they say.

Best of luck to you! :)