2020 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants

Leafway

Hi folks,

A friend of mine told me about this site and that people keep others posted about their progress in applying for clinical grad programs.

I applied at Dalhousie, UVic, and UBC. I was invited for a skype interview at Dal with my supervisor of choice in early December (one of three total applicants for this supervisor). They acknowledged this was quite early, and that Dal requires that faculty make their decisions quickly. This faculty told me that first rounds of offers go out some time in January. I've yet to hear back from them, or anything from the other schools. I imagine most others are in this boat as well.

For those trying to get a sense of where other applicants are at, this is a summary of my application:

M.A. Experimental Psychology (2020)
GRE: 93% Verbal, 83% Quant, 92% Writing
CGPA: Undergrad: 88%, Grad: 90%+
Pubs: 1 manuscript under review, 3 manuscripts in preparation

Seems worth noting that although these things matter to get in the door, idiosyncrasies in applicant-supervisor fit likely account for the lion's share of the variance in admissions. 

Best of luck out there.

Edited by mindmanifest

35 minutes ago, mindmanifest said:

Hi folks,

A friend of mine told me about this site and that people keep others posted about their progress in applying for clinical grad programs.

I applied at Dalhousie, UVic, and UBC. I was invited for a skype interview at Dal with my supervisor of choice in early December (one of three total applicants for this supervisor). They acknowledged this was quite early, and that Dal requires that faculty make their decisions quickly. This faculty told me that first rounds of offers go out some time in January. I've yet to hear back from them, or anything from the other schools. I imagine most others are in this boat as well.

For those trying to get a sense of where other applicants are at, this is a summary of my application:

Seems worth noting that although these things matter to get in the door, idiosyncrasies in applicant-supervisor fit likely account for the lion's share of the variance in acceptance rates. 

Best of luck out there.

Thanks for sharing!

We kind of knew from last year that Dal moves pretty fast. Also, your choice of locations is very interesting, you really like being near the ocean, don't you ?

Those are absolutely awesome GRE scores btw!!

Hopefully things start to pick up and we get to hear some more news this week (and the next). Best of luck!

1 hour ago, mindmanifest said:

Hi folks,

Seems worth noting that although these things matter to get in the door, idiosyncrasies in applicant-supervisor fit likely account for the lion's share of the variance in acceptance rates. 

Best of luck out there.

Congrats on your interview at Dal! I have heard that they are extending invites during Jan, but not by any specific date. I think it's POI specific. Best of luck!

56 minutes ago, SoundofSilence said:

you really like being near the ocean, don't you

Hahaha, you've got it. I used to live on the West Coast and loved it so much. I'm currently in Ontario and ready to get out. I only applied to cities that I could imagine myself living in and where I felt I had a strong supervisor fit. The PIO at Dal was the most direct fit. I don't have much (any) experience with Halifax, but everyone I know who does loves it.

38 minutes ago, Psych_hopefulx said:

Also if the person who got an SFU invite sees this can you post POI initials? ?

Me too, please. Thank you and congrats!

6 hours ago, mindmanifest said:

Hi folks,

Seems worth noting that although these things matter to get in the door, idiosyncrasies in applicant-supervisor fit likely account for the lion's share of the variance in admissions. 

Best of luck out there.

Hey,

I also applied to Dalhousie and had an interview in mid December. I heard there were 14 people short-listed for interviews and they offer 6-8 positions depending on the year. Let me know if you hear anything back! Your application sounds better than mine, that's for sure. Fingers crossed we will be in the same cohort!

1 hour ago, PSY9 said:

Hey,

I also applied to Dalhousie and had an interview in mid December. I heard there were 14 people short-listed for interviews and they offer 6-8 positions depending on the year. Let me know if you hear anything back! Your application sounds better than mine, that's for sure. Fingers crossed we will be in the same cohort!

For sure! Same deal, keep posted. Perhaps we'll be meeting each other in the future.

Best of luck.

On 1/8/2020 at 4:59 PM, Clinicalpsych101 said:

Could the person who posted they got an interview at Ryerson, PM their POI initials if they don't mind? Thanks :) 

Me to please! Thanks :)

Are we posting Canadian invites on this thread? I'll just go for it so people can message me directly.

School: Simon Fraser University

Type: Clinical PhD

Date of invite: 1/9/20

Type of invite: email from Grad Program Assistant (mass email); DM for PIs

Interview date(s): Skype interview in next three weeks or in person interview 1/31

Okay, what? Dal has already contacted their first choice students?! If so I'm absolutely gutted, it was by far my best shot... 

EDIT: Was wrong about the Calgary open house invites, so ignore me

Edited by sparrow123

47 minutes ago, sparrow123 said:

Okay, what? Dal has already contacted their first choice students?! If so I'm absolutely gutted, it was by far my best shot... 

Also if anyone has applied to Calgary, you should be emailed about the open house by next Friday (the 16th).

I agree about Dal. I have not heard from them and I thought I had a good chance of at least receiving an interview.

For Calgary, are you talking about clinical or counselling? I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm pretty sure all invites for clinical went out on Wednesday. I may be wrong, but usually when it's a mass email, it's sent to everyone within the same day. Where did you get that info?

26 minutes ago, Cascadia said:

I agree about Dal. I have not heard from them and I thought I had a good chance of at least receiving an interview.

For Calgary, are you talking about clinical or counselling? I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm pretty sure all invites for clinical went out on Wednesday. I may be wrong, but usually when it's a mass email, it's sent to everyone within the same day. Where did you get that info?

I didn't apply to Calgary but have connections there (sorry to be vague, I'll PM you how I know). But they may have been talking about the Experimental programs, not the Clinical programs, although the open house date is the same for both programs. 

Maybe there's still hope for Dal? I really don't want to give up hope yet. I'll post if I hear anything! 

On 1/9/2020 at 7:13 PM, Psych_hopefulx said:

Does anyone know if Ryerson extends interviews on a specific date or if it depends on the supervisor? TIA

I had an informal interview with a PI there this week, and was told that their internal deadline to send out invites for departmental interviews was next Friday.

4 hours ago, MiddleOfSomeCalibrations said:

Could the person who received an *in-person* interview invitation from UBC please PM me your POI? Congrats!!

If you find out, could you please send a PM my way as well? Thanks so much!

Also, since we got more UBC activity this year on the forum, I would be so curious to know whether they invite applicants to the in-person interviews without preliminary skype calls.