2020 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants

Leafway

15 hours ago, Madpudding said:

Hi Everyone,

American student here mainly applying to programs in the U.S. but also interested in a couple of Canadian programs (UBC and Queens). From the limited research that I've done, most of the funding opportunities in Canada are restricted to Canadian students or international students that are already enrolled in a graduate program. I was wondering if anyone knows of scholarships or fellowships that prospective international students can apply for without already being accepted into a graduate program (something similar to the NSF GRFP that we have here in the U.S.). Hopefully there is something out there I can apply for and put down on my application to give it a little boost. Thanks in advance!

I can't think of anything outside of fulbright 

13 hours ago, Cascadia said:

That's awesome! Congrats! I might mention it in my next Skype meeting and see what they say.

Best of luck to you! :) 

Thank you :). It's not a guarantee, but it does feel good to have someone rooting for me on the admissions committee. Let me know how that goes! I feel like if the POI  is genuinely interested in you as a student, it can't hurt to ask. The worst they could say is no, anyways.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know if it is frowned upon to use books or book chapters as sources when applying for grants? In my case I want to say "so and so coined X term" and then cite a book. I've never applied to funding before, so insight would be  very much appreciated.

3 hours ago, springxsummer said:

Thank you :). It's not a guarantee, but it does feel good to have someone rooting for me on the admissions committee. Let me know how that goes! I feel like if the POI  is genuinely interested in you as a student, it can't hurt to ask. The worst they could say is no, anyways.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know if it is frowned upon to use books or book chapters as sources when applying for grants? In my case I want to say "so and so coined X term" and then cite a book. I've never applied to funding before, so insight would be  very much appreciated.

No problems with that, as long as it is a term that is well-known or there's a reason for you to include it to your funding application. 

On 10/3/2019 at 10:43 PM, Cascadia said:

Thank you for this advice! 

And congrats on being accepted and starting your program!! Did you have a research idea prepared for your initial Skype meeting? And do you mind me asking which school?

Also... how competitive were your GRE scores? I've heard it's really POI/department dependant how much they weight them, but I'm just curious if you are open to sharing.

Thanks! :) 

I'll PM you.

Hi guys, I have a quick but complex question and hope someone can help me out. There are two professors I am very interested in working with at one university. They study pretty much the same thing, exactly what I am interested in as well. Both are great professors it seems, but I'm not sure they are good colleagues. I prepared an email to one, but I actually would not mind to even work with both of them, or either. Considering the research interests are the same, the email I drafted can be applied to both of them really. While they have published many papers together, I cannot find much published between just two of them. I guess it's a long winded way to say that I am not sure what do I do now? Do I just email one first and see what he says? Do i email both of them in one email and bluntly say I am interested in being co-supervised? Or some other option? Not sure what is the etiquette on this. Thank you so much in advance!

On 10/5/2019 at 2:34 PM, springxsummer said:

Hey! Perfectly fine to use books in your references. I use it in grant applications all the time, and got a few already funded. Good luck!

15 hours ago, nerdy_metalhead said:

Hi guys, I have a quick but complex question and hope someone can help me out. There are two professors I am very interested in working with at one university. They study pretty much the same thing, exactly what I am interested in as well. Both are great professors it seems, but I'm not sure they are good colleagues. I prepared an email to one, but I actually would not mind to even work with both of them, or either. Considering the research interests are the same, the email I drafted can be applied to both of them really. While they have published many papers together, I cannot find much published between just two of them. I guess it's a long winded way to say that I am not sure what do I do now? Do I just email one first and see what he says? Do i email both of them in one email and bluntly say I am interested in being co-supervised? Or some other option? Not sure what is the etiquette on this. Thank you so much in advance!

Hello there! :)

This is a fairly common dilemma. I am unsure of what the best "etiquette" here is, but what I can tell you is that POIs are not surprised that you are interested in other professors from their university or other programs with similar research labs. From my experience, they often advise to just list both on your application - that's why programs let you list up to three POIs.

That said, unless you are quite interested in being co-supervised by them, I would say just contact them separately to gauge their interest in your experience, how it matches with theirs, etc. And maybe this can evolve into a discussion of shared interests or a Skype call as someone on this thread previously mentioned. 

My personal opinion is that it is expected for POIs with similar research interests to be contacted by the same students. I think things get a bit odd when you express interest in wildly different areas and you don't have some justification for it (you can be perceived as unfocused).

I might be wrong about this, so maybe someone else can chime in :) 

All the best!

25 minutes ago, SoundofSilence said:

Hello there! :)

This is a fairly common dilemma. I am unsure of what the best "etiquette" here is, but what I can tell you is that POIs are not surprised that you are interested in other professors from their university or other programs with similar research labs. From my experience, they often advise to just list both on your application - that's why programs let you list up to three POIs.

That said, unless you are quite interested in being co-supervised by them, I would say just contact them separately to gauge their interest in your experience, how it matches with theirs, etc. And maybe this can evolve into a discussion of shared interests or a Skype call as someone on this thread previously mentioned. 

My personal opinion is that it is expected for POIs with similar research interests to be contacted by the same students. I think things get a bit odd when you express interest in wildly different areas and you don't have some justification for it (you can be perceived as unfocused).

I might be wrong about this, so maybe someone else can chime in :) 

All the best!

Thank you so much for your advice, that is perfect! I have sent an email to both of them separately, and already heard back from one :). Let's see how it goes. Really appreciate your help! 

On 10/5/2019 at 9:22 AM, higaisha said:

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info!

Can anyone speak to how much harder (on average) it is for international students to get accepted to a program in Canada compared to Canadian students or obstacles that are specific to international students? I know that for PhDs in the US there might be limited slots allotted for international students depending on the the type of program. 

10 hours ago, Madpudding said:

Can anyone speak to how much harder (on average) it is for international students to get accepted to a program in Canada compared to Canadian students or obstacles that are specific to international students? I know that for PhDs in the US there might be limited slots allotted for international students depending on the the type of program. 

The programs you listed take on more internationals than others I've seen. I know at our department, there was only one international student (that I knew of), and our clinical program basically didn't consider any internationals despite the fact that it wasn't stated on the website. US is much more international friendly--but departmental politics also make a difference as to whether they'll take one (both here and US). I'd say its more trouble than its worth for most CA programs to take on an international student, but you won't know until you apply.

On 10/3/2019 at 8:48 PM, Neurophilic said:

I think it's a great first step. Definitely prepare as if it's a prelim interview. I skyped with my POI last year in October and now I'm working with her. She later invited me to visit her in person.

Best of luck!

Ditto this.  My master's supervisor interviewed me via phone call....and I didn't find out that WAS my interview until later when I was accepted in the program.

On 10/5/2019 at 12:22 PM, higaisha said:

Isn't there Connaught's?  Not sure if that's specific to U of T, but also, some schools waive the international differential these days.   I know U of T does for PhD programs (not sure about the master's year)

On 10/12/2019 at 3:03 AM, Madpudding said:

Call and ask.  Some schools are pretty open to international students (I was one from the US) and others will tell you straight up they don't really consider international applicants because of the tuition differential.  I had one school in 2016 where the PI would have accepted me but the department said no because she didn't have her own funding to support me.  

Does anyone know if it is beneficial (or harmful) to put work that I have submitted for presentations on my CV? 

Specifically, I've submitted work to a couple of conferences for potential poster presentations. I know it's okay to put under-review publications. Would this be similar?

On 10/12/2019 at 10:26 AM, higaisha said:

The programs you listed take on more internationals than others I've seen. I know at our department, there was only one international student (that I knew of), and our clinical program basically didn't consider any internationals despite the fact that it wasn't stated on the website. US is much more international friendly--but departmental politics also make a difference as to whether they'll take one (both here and US). I'd say its more trouble than its worth for most CA programs to take on an international student, but you won't know until you apply.

Thanks for the info - I figured it would probably vary depending on the program / applicant but it's encouraging to hear that the programs I'm looking at seem to be more willing to accept international students.

On 10/18/2019 at 7:53 PM, Piagetsky said:

Call and ask.  Some schools are pretty open to international students (I was one from the US) and others will tell you straight up they don't really consider international applicants because of the tuition differential.  I had one school in 2016 where the PI would have accepted me but the department said no because she didn't have her own funding to support me.  

That's an interesting idea - for some reason I thought programs wouldn't be upfront about not considering international students. I'll give it a try, thanks!

On 10/26/2019 at 2:48 PM, springxsummer said:

For those of you applying for CGS-M, are you putting this as "under review" on your CV? A few programs ask to indicate whether/not I've applied on their online applications, so that is why I am considering listing it.

I am also interested how people are choosing which schools to include in the CGS-M application? Since most programs want you to  indicate whether you have applied to funding/scholarships, I am worried about losing opportunities with the schools I have not selected on the application as I am applying to 6 schools.

On 10/29/2019 at 9:56 AM, psyc2020 said:

I am also interested how people are choosing which schools to include in the CGS-M application? Since most programs want you to  indicate whether you have applied to funding/scholarships, I am worried about losing opportunities with the schools I have not selected on the application as I am applying to 6 schools.

I also struggle with this. The schools I'm leaning towards are schools that have research that fits with the topic of my proposal, tend to get a decent amount of SHHRC scholarships, and that I feel I have a realistic shot at.  I might be shooting myself in the foot by not choosing schools that I don't feel I have a chance at and weakening my application more, but eh.

Edited by springxsummer

On 10/29/2019 at 11:56 AM, psyc2020 said:

I wouldn't add this to your CV. Most schools do ask whether you have applied for funding and you can also let your POI know. You can add CGS-M to your CV if you received the award or if you received and declined. 

Makes sense, thanks @Neurophilic!

For Statement of Purposes/ Letter of Intents, does anyone know the level of specificity with which we should discuss our research interests? Is it better to say my research interests are x, y, z, or is it better to state  specific research question(s)? Thanks!

Edited by springxsummer