2020 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants

Leafway

To the person who posted on the results forum and got skype interview with the university of waterloo - can you please PM me the POI initials if you don't mind? Thank you so much!

31 minutes ago, Dylia said:

To the person who posted on the results forum and got skype interview with the university of waterloo - can you please PM me the POI initials if you don't mind? Thank you so much!

Me too! Thanks!

On 12/27/2019 at 10:24 PM, Cascadia said:

Hi! Can those who posted on the results page that they received interview invites to Waterloo and UBC pm me your POI initials? Thank you! :) 

Wow, we are receiving UBC news quite soon this application season!

One of the interview invites posted the POI initials on the Results page and I noticed that another poster received an invite for the 31st. Do people really interview on the 31st? it might be the european in me talking, but I don't know anyone doing any serious work tomorrow :))

UBC is a dream program with the dream lab for me, but I am aware it is quite a reach.. so not very hopeful, it seems there is such a small chance of even getting an interview :(

21 hours ago, SoundofSilence said:

Wow, we are receiving UBC news quite soon this application season!

One of the interview invites posted the POI initials on the Results page and I noticed that another poster received an invite for the 31st. Do people really interview on the 31st? it might be the european in me talking, but I don't know anyone doing any serious work tomorrow :))

UBC is a dream program with the dream lab for me, but I am aware it is quite a reach.. so not very hopeful, it seems there is such a small chance of even getting an interview :(

I was thinking the exact same thing about the interview on the 31st! One POI from UBC contacted me on the 29th asking me a question about my application as she was reviewing my file, but I haven't heard back from her since. So I'm wondering if that was the same one who sent out that interview for the 31st...the waiting is definitely hard, but fingers crossed I guess.

Has anyone applied to a counselling or clinical program where you have to make a video submission of a mock counselling session? (i.e. UBC, TWU...) If so, how did you format your session? Did you throw in anything fancy, like some kind of exercise, or did you keep it focused on supportive listening skills?

4 hours ago, SP2017 said:

To the person who received a Skype interview at UTSC, can you please PM the POI if you're comfortable sharing. Thanks!

Me too please!

On 1/5/2020 at 4:15 PM, springxsummer said:

Has anyone applied to a counselling or clinical program where you have to make a video submission of a mock counselling session? (i.e. UBC, TWU...) If so, how did you format your session? Did you throw in anything fancy, like some kind of exercise, or did you keep it focused on supportive listening skills?

I believe that they are looking for basic listening skills/ability to form a therapeutic relationship (common factors) vs. specific interventions (thought record, exposure hierarchy, activity schedule, etc.)

6 hours ago, Psychoholic said:

I believe that they are looking for basic listening skills/ability to form a therapeutic relationship (common factors) vs. specific interventions (thought record, exposure hierarchy, activity schedule, etc.)

That's the way I'm leaning as well, thank you!

On 12/28/2019 at 8:38 PM, Dylia said:

Me too please! Thank you!

Hi all! I've been creeping on grad cafe for a few years now, but this is my first time posting. 

I've noticed that this 2020 thread is unusually quiet (especially compared to the 2019 thread, which I've been referring to for information instead of this one!). Not sure if there are just less applicants this year or people are shy about posting. So I've decided to post here in hopes of getting it going.

This is my second time applying (first time was in 2018 and I did not receive any interviews). So far I have had Skype interviews with POIs from UVic, UTSC and Calgary. I just got an email today from UVic inviting me to another Skype interview with clinical faculty members (after which they will determine whether I am offered a spot in the program). I am hoping that someone who went through that interview process at UVic is reading this and can give me an idea of what kinds of questions to expect. 

I expect that any school I don't hear back from by the end of January is a no-go, although I know some schools have slightly later timelines, such as Ottawa (I am told profs don't review applications until end of January/beginning of February) and York (profs start reviewing applications in mid-January). 

Good luck to everyone! :)