2020 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants

Leafway

I just got notice that I received a CGS-M Scholarship to UCalgary but I am still currently on the waitlist. Do you think having this scholarship is helpful to getting off the waitlist or do they even care?

Would it be advised to email the program to let them know I received this?

Edited by Leashy

8 hours ago, xtrahotlatte said:

Has anyone received an offer for OISE SCCP yet? Rejections are going out today, someone just posted on the results page.

Got my rejection from OISE on Feb 21.  It seems like they do their acceptances and rejections sporadically.

Hey everyone! Congrats to all of you on your acceptances so far! I was wondering if anyone knew about which POI’s for Ryerson’s clinical program have sent out acceptances - been almost 3 weeks since my interview at interview day so getting quite apprehensive. Thanks!

44 minutes ago, Leashy said:

I just got notice that I received a CGS-M Scholarship to UCalgary but I am still currently on the waitlist. Do you think having this scholarship is helpful to getting off the waitlist or do they even care?

It usually doesn't hurt to email a program and let them know about this sort of thing.  I know a girl who was in a similar situation.  When she informed the graduate school about her funding, they accepted her.

1 minute ago, VanessaB said:

It usually doesn't hurt to email a program and let them know about this sort of thing.  I know a girl who was in a similar situation.  When she informed the graduate school about her funding, they accepted her.

ohhh really! that's encouraging. Do you know how she worded the email? did she email the program officer or the POI?

50 minutes ago, Leashy said:

I would. Can't hurt to try. 

4 hours ago, hhhsaall said:

I dont think thats how it works... I was accepted three weeks ago and my friend was accepted today. I think they do it case by case

Congrats! How were you notified?

1 hour ago, Leashy said:

ohhh really! that's encouraging. Do you know how she worded the email? did she email the program officer or the POI?

I’m honestly not sure what she said in the email or how she worded it.  I was never close with her, but we shared the same honours supervisor in different years, so I heard about the situation from the supervisor.

10 hours ago, Leashy said:

Definitely email them!! :) 

From what I understand if you come with your own funding it's kind of like a free student for the school! This may be an oversimplification, but definitely let your POI know! I'd be happy to help with wording if you're having trouble, give me a PM. ?

First of all, congrats! Second - I would email the POI with this information. Although nothing is guaranteed, it could increase your chances of being accepted.

13 hours ago, Leashy said:

Congrats on getting the CGS-M Scholarship! I definitely agree with everyone else that you should inform the program admin/your POI

I also wanted to ask if you were officially informed (either by the program admin or your POI) that you are on the waitlist? Or are you assuming that because you haven't received an offer? Just wondering because I am in the latter situation and wanted to know if anyone has actually been informed that they are on the waitlist. Thanks!

Edited by ClinPsyc20

23 hours ago, SoundofSilence said:

I know this is over-used, but any news on Ottawa, Memorial or Regina? They are the final ones on my list and I kind of want to move on :)

Didn't interview at them and I don't hold much hope. 

Six offers went out for Memorial last Monday. The PsyD secretary said that students have until mid-March to accept or reject these offers, and then it sounds like subsequent offers will trickle down the waitlist until the program is filled. I believe they interviewed 16 candidates so there’s about ten people (or maybe less) on the waitlist.

3 minutes ago, xChiliPepps said:

Six offers went out for Memorial last Monday. The PsyD secretary said that students have until mid-March to accept or reject these offers, and then it sounds like subsequent offers will trickle down the waitlist until the program is filled. I believe they interviewed 16 candidates so there’s about ten people (or maybe less) on the waitlist.

Thank you so much! It's not good news for me, but it's so difficult to find any news on Memorial on the board, and I really appreciate it. 

16 minutes ago, ClinPsyc20 said:

Congrats on getting the CGS-M Scholarship! I definitely agree with everyone else that you should inform the program admin/your POI

I also wanted to ask if you were officially informed (either by the program admin or your POI) that you are on the waitlist? Or are you assuming that because you haven't received an offer? Just wondering because I am in the latter situation and wanted to know if anyone has actually been informed that they are on the waitlist. Thanks!

I was informed by letter that I was wait listed.

13 hours ago, Leashy said:

Definitely email the program admin and cc your POI! I know the department is keen to bring in students who have funding right now, so it won't hurt you! Just say something along the lines of "just wanted to inform you that I was recently informed that I was successful in securing a CGS-M (insert SSHRC, CIHR) scholarship and figured I should reach out to let you know about this."

Congrats!

1 minute ago, chopper.wife said:

Definitely email the program admin and cc your POI! I know the department is keen to bring in students who have funding right now, so it won't hurt you! Just say something along the lines of "just wanted to inform you that I was recently informed that I was successful in securing a CGS-M (insert SSHRC, CIHR) scholarship and figured I should reach out to let you know about this."

Congrats!

Thanks! this is pretty much what I ended up writing, but now I am wondering if it was actually a CGSM or a scholarship from the school itself. Either way, they have been informed about my funding. Thanks so much for encouraging me to reach out.

6 minutes ago, Leashy said:

Thanks! this is pretty much what I ended up writing, but now I am wondering if it was actually a CGSM or a scholarship from the school itself. Either way, they have been informed about my funding. Thanks so much for encouraging me to reach out.

Do you know which scholarship it is? I would be surprised if it was a tri-council (SSHRC, NSERC, or CIHR) because those decisions usually aren't released until April 1, so I think it must be a different kind of scholarship. Scholarships are great though, it still might help!

1 minute ago, sparrow123 said:

Do you know which scholarship it is? I would be surprised if it was a tri-council (SSHRC, NSERC, or CIHR) because those decisions usually aren't released until April 1, so I think it must be a different kind of scholarship. Scholarships are great though, it still might help!

I was actually just talking about this with a friend, I thought it was a CGS-M at first, but then I remembered that those don't usually go out until April 1st, so it must be a scholarship from the university itself, which makes this even more confusing. Why would a university offer me a Graduate award if I wasn't even offered a spot? 

23 minutes ago, Leashy said:

I was actually just talking about this with a friend, I thought it was a CGS-M at first, but then I remembered that those don't usually go out until April 1st, so it must be a scholarship from the university itself, which makes this even more confusing. Why would a university offer me a Graduate award if I wasn't even offered a spot? 

I'm not 100% sure, but I think just by applying you are automatically considered for certain scholarships. It used to be that you were considered for a QEII at the U of C if you applied for tri-council funding (ie, the applications were combined) but the QEII was discontinued last year (THANKS JASON KENNEY). But perhaps something else took its place and that's the scholarship you were awarded? 

10 minutes ago, sparrow123 said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think just by applying you are automatically considered for certain scholarships. It used to be that you were considered for a QEII at the U of C if you applied for tri-council funding (ie, the applications were combined) but the QEII was discontinued last year (THANKS JASON KENNEY). But perhaps something else took its place and that's the scholarship you were awarded? 

perhaps that is it! I didn't apply for anything else. I just find it very odd I would get something else if I am not yet offered a spot but hoping it will help bump me off the wait list :)

Hi all! Can the person who just posted in the results that they have just been offered an interview at Concordia let me know the POI. Glad to hear there is still stuff happening there. :) My hopes and dreams live on hahaha. 

10 minutes ago, OnThePath01 said:

Hi all! Can the person who just posted in the results that they have just been offered an interview at Concordia let me know the POI. Glad to hear there is still stuff happening there. :) My hopes and dreams live on hahaha. 

I absolutely hate being the one to break it to you, but if you look at that result again, you'll notice that the interview invite was extended on January 20. Whoever submitted that result only added it today, but it looks like the interview was over a month ago :(

1 hour ago, sparrow123 said:

The QEII is now part of the Alberta Graduate Scholarship.  It was combined into one award instead of having multiple awards under different names.  I believe each university department has their own process for awarding these scholarships.  I recently reached out to someone at UAlberta to find out more.  Usually, you don’t get those until you’re in a program though.