2020 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants

Leafway

Hi! I'm new here and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice! I was recently accepted to a counselling psychology masters programs, which I'm really excited about. However, the date they have given me to accept by is a week before I have an interview with a different school (also for counselling psychology). Is it acceptable to reach out to the school and ask for an extension on the offer? This is my first time applying so I'm not sure if this is a common thing or how to handle the situation! 

3 hours ago, Psych 123 said:

anyone here applied to Victoria for ed psych? 

I was considering applying to that program at one point, but I decided against it as it didn't seem like the best fit given my personal and professional goals.  From what I recall, I think their application deadline was in early 2020, so I suspect you might have to wait a few more weeks before hearing anything.  I know more about UVic's counselling program though because one summer, when I was still strangling considering counselling psychology, I lived in Victoria and did the prerequisite courses for their counselling program.

Edited by VanessaB

2 hours ago, Psych3 said:

Hi! I'm new here and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice! I was recently accepted to a counselling psychology masters programs, which I'm really excited about. However, the date they have given me to accept by is a week before I have an interview with a different school (also for counselling psychology). Is it acceptable to reach out to the school and ask for an extension on the offer? This is my first time applying so I'm not sure if this is a common thing or how to handle the situation! 

I think it's fine to let the school know about your dilemma.  Hopefully they're understanding.

If they're not willing to be flexible, you could always accept the offer to the counselling program.  If you do receive an offer somewhere else that you'd rather accept, there's nothing stopping you from letting the counselling psychology program know that circumstances changed and ultimately you changed your mind.  Of course, accepting an offer and then rejecting it later on isn't ideal, but it's definitely one of your options given the situation.

6 minutes ago, VanessaB said:

I was considering applying to that program at one point, but I decided against it as it didn't seem like the best fit given my personal and professional goals.  From what I recall, I think their application deadlines was in early 2020, so I suspect you might have to wait a few more weeks before hearing anything.  I know more about UVic's counselling program though because one summer, when I was still strangling considering counselling psychology, I lived in Victoria and did the prerequisite courses for their counselling program.

The application deadline was feb 1st so you're probably right, I might not hear from them till March! On another note, how did you like living in Victoria? 

6 minutes ago, Psych 123 said:

The application deadline was feb 1st so you're probably right, I might not hear from them till March! On another note, how did you like living in Victoria? 

Victoria itself was great, but the living situation was rough.  I stayed in the uni townhouse residences and quite frankly they were a dive.  They are in dire need of a renovation.  I had two other roommates who I shared the unit with, and one was great and the other was not.  I guess the people who lived in the unit prior to us pulled a knob off of the stove and then put it back on in the wrong place, so when our stove was "off" it was still running, so that was interesting.  As well, one of the girls had takeout food in the one of the two fridges when I arrived.  When I left two months later, the takeout was still in her fridge. ? Also, the couches in the living room had so many stains that I was afraid to sit on them.  If I had to do it again, I would've lived off campus.  However, I've heard the living situation is tough in Victoria as my classmates mentioned that it's difficult to find a place to rent.  I found being away from my friends and family was very difficult, and I missed having a bath tub as there was only a shower in our residence, but I think everyone copes with those factors differently.

33 minutes ago, VanessaB said:

Victoria itself was great, but the living situation was rough.  I stayed in the uni townhouse residences and quite frankly they were a dive.  They are in dire need of a renovation.  I had two other roommates who I shared the unit with, and one was great and the other was not.  I guess the people who lived in the unit prior to us pulled a knob off of the stove and then put it back on in the wrong place, so when our stove was "off" it was still running, so that was interesting.  As well, one of the girls had takeout food in the one of the two fridges when I arrived.  When I left two months later, the takeout was still in her fridge. ? Also, the couches in the living room had so many stains that I was afraid to sit on them.  If I had to do it again, I would've lived off campus.  However, I've heard the living situation is tough in Victoria as my classmates mentioned that it's difficult to find a place to rent.  I found being away from my friends and family was very difficult, and I missed having a bath tub as there was only a shower in our residence, but I think everyone copes with those factors differently.

Omg I'm so sorry that sounds like a horrible experience. I was getting ahead of myself and started looking at housing options and I will definitely try to avoid the uni townhouse residence if I do get into the program. Thank you for the heads up and sharing :)

Edited by Psych 123

Just now, Psych 123 said:

Omg I'm so sorry that sounds like a horrible experience. I was getting ahead of myself and started looking at housing options and I will definitely try to avoid the uni townhouse residence if I do get into the program. Thank you for the heads up and sharing :)

They do have a beautiful newer residence that would be more ideal if you’re wanting to live on campus.  However, from what I recall, the showers were more communal style and the meal plan was mandatory, so there’s definitely trade offs for being in a newer building.  I think it’s wise to start looking early if you end up going there.  The campus gardens are all amazing, and as for off-campus gardens, I highly recommend going to check out the Butchart Gardens at some point.  Whale watching was fun too.  Pizzaria Prima Strada was sooooo good, and The Pink Bicycle was a great place too.

Congrats to all of those who've accepted an offer!! 

Has anyone applied to Guelph or McMaster for non-clinical psychology programs? 

I applied for Neuroscience & Applied Cognitive Science (Guelph) and Psychology, Neuroscience & Behavior (McMaster) programs and not hearing from any of them is leaving me in despair :(

15 hours ago, Cachalot said:

Congrats to all of those who've accepted an offer!! 

Has anyone applied to Guelph or McMaster for non-clinical psychology programs? 

I applied for Neuroscience & Applied Cognitive Science (Guelph) and Psychology, Neuroscience & Behavior (McMaster) programs and not hearing from any of them is leaving me in despair :(

I checked the results page and no one has posted about either of those programs this year. From past years, some people didn't hear that they were accepted until early March. You can always reach out to the graduate program coordinator for both schools and ask for an update!

2 hours ago, psych-hopeful said:

Has anyone been declined from Ryerson? I contacted the admissions office last Wednesday and they said they would still be giving out first round offers for a week or two, which seems long. I’m trying to make sense of the timeline/what no news since interview day means at this point. 

I didn't get invited to interview, but haven't received an official rejection yet. People on the results page received acceptances ~10 days ago, so I'd assume you're on the waitlist. About 4 students seem to make it from the waitlist each year, so I wouldn't lose hope!

For those waiting on rejections, I wouldn’t expect anything too soon. A lot of programs will wait until they have a full cohort to send rejections, which usually isn’t until April after the tri-council decisions. When I applied a few years ago, I didn’t get rejections until May for Ryerson, Calgary and Dalhousie. 

34 minutes ago, PsycUndergrad said:

For those waiting on rejections, I wouldn’t expect anything too soon. A lot of programs will wait until they have a full cohort to send rejections, which usually isn’t until April after the tri-council decisions. When I applied a few years ago, I didn’t get rejections until May for Ryerson, Calgary and Dalhousie. 

Do you think rejections are guaranteed if there haven’t been any interviews yet?

2 hours ago, Psych.kitty said:

Do you think rejections are guaranteed if there haven’t been any interviews yet?

I wouldn’t say guaranteed since strange things happen in clinical applications, especially when you get close to the April 15 deadline. But I would guess most programs have completed interviews and extended offers or are in the process. 

I got an email from Ryerson last week letting me know that the admissions committee is still sending out offers as they were wanting me to apply for funding (despite not receiving an offer). But if anyone who has acceptances can you send me the initials of your POI? I want to know if it's time to rebook the GRE to get ready for the next round of applications. 

Also, anyone hear anything from USask? Been absolute silence since I submitted the application

Hi everyone, 

If anyone on here received an offer from Waterloo, could you please DM me? I also received an offer but I'm a bit confused about how to navigate their online Quest portal to view the official offer!

Has anyone who was accepted to SFU received their official letter of acceptance (or even had their application go from the green circle to the checkmark in the app portal)? I would love to accept my offer soon but feel like it won't be "official" until the letter comes. Can you formally accept an offer if the official letter hasn't come yet? (Note: I am very well acquainted with the program so I don't need to wait for letter to know funding details, etc.).

3 hours ago, rainydaychai said:

Has anyone who was accepted to SFU received their official letter of acceptance (or even had their application go from the green circle to the checkmark in the app portal)? I would love to accept my offer soon but feel like it won't be "official" until the letter comes. Can you formally accept an offer if the official letter hasn't come yet? (Note: I am very well acquainted with the program so I don't need to wait for letter to know funding details, etc.).

In the past few cycles, SFU has topped up their entrance scholarship for those have an offer(s) from other schools. It might be a good idea to wait, if you are still waiting to hear from other programs, to see if you get offers from other schools. If you do get another offer, it might be a good idea to email the grad coordinator to let them know that you are deciding between multiple offers and ask if they can match another offer.

25 minutes ago, foood said:

Has anyone heard back from York? Particularly from SF? The wait is killing me x.x

NO and it's killing me too :( My POI (not SF tho) said late February/early March so I/we might still have a week to wait, but I hope it's not that long. My nerves are completely fried. 

Edit: someone was accepted last week in the CD stream, but I think the offers are going out quite variably so I'm not panicked yet. My POI did tell me that he'd let me know either way (i.e., rejected or accepted)

Edited by sparrow123
Forgot info