BEST distance/online SLP grad school

Hello! I’m looking into online/distance SLP grad programs. I’m already $65k in debt, so I don’t want to pay more than $15k per year (I’m located in CA so I know there’s some restrictions because of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA). I have good grades (3.8+ GPA, great LoC’s and above avg GRE scores). I got accepted to emerson and NYU with scholarships but it didn’t cover enough of the cost. 

I really like North Colorado University, CSUN, and Akron University. 

Id prefer to do my clinical practice/extends hips towards the end of the program because I’m working as a nanny and committed to 1.5 years, they are flexible and will allow me to travel up to 3 weeks for clinical/labs. 

What is your best experience? 

Hi Madison. Do you know which schools meet the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA)? I live in CA too. I am going to be applying and would like to know. Thank you. 

On 6/25/2019 at 2:25 PM, MadisonMachelle said:

Hello! I’m looking into online/distance SLP grad programs. I’m already $65k in debt, so I don’t want to pay more than $15k per year (I’m located in CA so I know there’s some restrictions because of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA). I have good grades (3.8+ GPA, great LoC’s and above avg GRE scores). I got accepted to emerson and NYU with scholarships but it didn’t cover enough of the cost. 

I really like North Colorado University, CSUN, and Akron University. 

Id prefer to do my clinical practice/extends hips towards the end of the program because I’m working as a nanny and committed to 1.5 years, they are flexible and will allow me to travel up to 3 weeks for clinical/labs. 

What is your best experience? 

Hi! I don’t have a lot of experience with this but I will tell you what I know. 

To my knowledge there’s a difference between an online program and a distance learning program. I don’t know a whole lot about online programs but I do know information for at least one distance learning program so I’ll use that experience. 

From my experience, the distance learning programs require you to be on campus certain times. The program I applied to ENMU requires you to be on campus for a minimum of one semester your first year and then distance learning for the rest. They specifically mention they are distance learning because some aspects of the program require you to come back to campus in order to successfully complete the program. 

I thought this was an important distinction between online programs versus some distance programs to point out in case you weren’t aware because you mentioned the 1.5 year commitment working as a nanny. 

I hope this helps! 

On 6/27/2019 at 2:30 PM, SRod2015 said:

Hi Madison. Do you know which schools meet the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA)? I live in CA too. I am going to be applying and would like to know. Thank you. 

All states except California

• 1 month later...

So if this helps, I am a part of the University of Cincinnati that does the program with the University of Akron and my typical semester cost is around $3-4k, I don't pay the full out-of-state tuition since I live in the Indy metro for the UC classes but do for UA. Currently (without the fees that UC charges), UC charges around $2200 per 3 credit hour class, whereas UA charges around $1400. The program only requires 3 classes for the first 2 semesters, and then 2 and gradual internships from the third semester until the end of the program. 

Hi this doesn't really answer your question but I was wondering how you got scholarships for NYU? Did they grant you them or did you receive them elsewhere and if so do you mind sharing where?

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/24/2019 at 5:06 PM, speech97 said:

Hi this doesn't really answer your question but I was wondering how you got scholarships for NYU? Did they grant you them or did you receive them elsewhere and if so do you mind sharing where?

I got $5000 total, have amazing GPA and a bunch of volunteer hours, etc. $5000 total for a school that costs $82,000... BS